Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectShapeshifter partial shifts
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=61018
61018, Shapeshifter partial shifts
Posted by Vorek on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've only just recently rolled my first ever mage, a shapeshifter (queue SHOCKED GASP), and I quickly came to notice that although there are two kinds of partial shifts (defensive, and offensive/utility) when either one expires you get the same generic echo "Your body returns to normal." so you have no clue which one you've just lost.

I know that later on shifts aren't of ENORMOUS importance so this will be easy to overlook, but I feel like transparency about the status of your character without necessarily having to type "aff" constantly is important.

Suggested change:
Expiration of offensive/utility partial shift results in the same echo "Your body returns to normal."
Expiration of defensive partial shift gets a very slight change to echo "Your skin returns to normal."

Thanks for your time, to all who reads and/or responds.
61019, RE: Shapeshifter partial shifts
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Partial shifts can wear off in one of two ways, either duration or when the shapeshifter changes shape. In the case of the latter you'll see some more specific echoes based on the anatomy of the shapeshifter. Because normal affects don't allow for that kind of customization they were left generic.

I agree it could work more smoothy and I'll put it on my list, but it's a pretty low priority for me right now.

61023, RE: Shapeshifter partial shifts
Although I agree it is a relatively priority, I don't understand how "normal afffects don't allow for that kind of customization." This is the first case of any affect I've ever had on my character that DIDN'T have a specific echo when it's duration ran out.
61071, RE: Shapeshifter partial shifts
>Although I agree it is a relatively LOW priority...

Is what I meant to say. The question still remains, though. How would giving descriptive echos when it wears off be any different than quite literally every other affect in the game (all of which, that I've found, have their own unique echo for when they expire)?

61076, RE: Shapeshifter partial shifts
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The echoes for when partial shifts are stripped are conditional and those conditions cannot be applied to normal wear-off echoes.

I'll get to it when I get to it.
61077, RE: Shapeshifter partial shifts
As I said, I am aware of its extremely low priority, I was mostly curious as to what you meant when you said it would be complex.

Thanks for explaining, keep up the great work!
61078, RE: Shapeshifter partial shifts
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It seems that the affect flag itself is more complex than common affects, being same for all partial shifts in its main (common) part, hence can't be tailored to each of the shift types when wearing off without additional conditions introduced.