Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectFrequent Lag
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=60652
60652, Frequent Lag
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Within the past few days, there has been quite a bit of lag. Moreso than there has been in the recent few months. Could this be due to a code change?
60707, RE: Frequent Lag
Posted by Scarabaeus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I contacted our provider and it appears there have been some DDoS attacks that could be causing short bursts of lag. They're dealing with the issue now.
60708, Well I guess that's one way to win a pk. n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
60706, RE: Frequent Lag
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So I created this thing:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1deb08aa1ba98a0e80ace9307a3e36f9.html

They're located in the UK, so take that into account when evaluating the ping times (and the times of day, which are local to the UK).

In theory this thing should update automatically. I just created it so there's not much data.
60705, Is it really awful today?
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've been fighting bouts of connectivity issues that come in spurts of 3-6 minutes long.
60664, I was totally fine, not that I played much tho (n/t)
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
60660, At least twice today
Posted by Sertius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The whole mud (not just me) seems to go slow for a time (~10 mins). For example, right now.
60661, It was a networking issue, I was getting around 50% packet loss at the time
Posted by Theerkla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
that is all
60665, RE: It was a networking issue, I was getting around 50% packet loss at the time
Occasionally I'll actually take the time to hunt down where the issue is and email someone. No idea if it actually makes a difference, but you never know.

For anybody who's curious...

1. traceroute carrionfields.net to get a list of hosts between you and CF.

2. Ping each host in turn. If the order is "You, X, Y Z, CF" then start with "X", then "Y", etc.

3. If "ping X" is normal but "ping Y" is degraded then the problem is either with Y itself or the connection between X and Y.

4. Capture the output of "traceroute Y" and "ping Y" then do "whois Y" to get a technical support email. Email the logs to that address along w/ a date/time.

5. Repeat #4 with "X" unless the technical support email is the same, in which case there's no need to email again.
60653, RE: Frequent Lag
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I haven't noticed any significant lag myself, and what little relevant historical data I have would suggest that the MUD itself isn't responsible. It's possible we've been having network issues, but again, I haven't noticed anything.

There definitely haven't been any code changes in the past few days (or weeks) that I would expect to have any impact on the MUD's performance.

EDIT: Right now specifically, it looks like there might be some trouble between Level3 and AT&T/CenturyLink and Sprint/AT&T.
60655, RE: Frequent Lag
Once upon a time I wrote a tintin++ script to test in-game latency. Both network and the mud code. Will see if I can dig it up.

Basically it spammed some command w/ near-zero lag (e.g. "look") and timed the duration between the command was sent and when the echo was received.
60657, RE: Frequent Lag
Couldn't find the one from before so I wrote this one:

#ali {cfping} {#act {You nod.} {#format {endtime} {%U};#math
{duration} {$endtime - $starttime};#math {durationhi}
{$duration / 1000000};#math {durationlo} {$duration %
1000000};#format {duration} {%d.%d} {$durationhi}
{$durationlo};#showme {$duration};#format {starttime}
{%U};nod};#ali {off} {#unact {You nod.};#unali {off}};#format
{starttime} {%U};nod}

Enter the alias "cfping" to start it, then the alias
"off" to turn it off.  Doesn't currently collate
stats; just echos the round-trip time for each "nod"
social.

Syntax is specific to tintin++.
60667, I got bad lag
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Raiding. So I aborted the raid and logged out. It seemed to be the route to the mud and not the mud itself, as 10 rounds would fly by every so often.