Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectComing NCR: telnetga command.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=60632
60632, Coming NCR: telnetga command.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
As of NCR (or about 30 minutes after this post) there will be a new command available: telnetga.

If you don't know what this is you can probably ignore it, and the option will default to off.

Depending on your MUD client and/or terminal, it may resolve some issues with wonky prompts and line breaks.
60692, You should implement GA or IAC EOR regardless of other issues
Posted by -flso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Since clients that are interested in doing perfect line-by-line parsing
need to have an indicator from the server to delimit prompts.

Trying to match prompts with regular expressions on the client is not ideal
as in order to do it right (different parts of the prompt can come in different input batches, recv() doesn't guarantee on how you'll get the bytes besides ordering), one has to implement a character by character state machine which slows down processing, and no mud client bothers with that as far as I know.

Something else you could look into implementing is MSDP (http://tintin.sourceforge.net/msdp/) protocol which streams data from the server
to the client inside telnet subnegotiation data (thus invisible to clients who don't know how to process them).

People can implement their own custom clients on top.

Aardwolf has done this but also Godwars2 ().
60693, RE: You should implement GA or IAC EOR regardless of other issues
MSDP and MSSP are both on my "nice to have" list, but in addition to being pretty low priority in general, both look like a fair amount of work. Plus I'd have to brush up on my Telnet RFCs.

I won't say never, but it's not likely in the short-term.
60636, RE: Coming NCR: telnetga command.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe this will fix the issues I'm having with tintin++. Sweet.
60637, RE: Coming NCR: telnetga command.
I have the same issue (TinTin++ on OSX) so we'll see. It really doesn't bother me much, but if I remember right it screws up regex highlights that use ^.
60647, RE: Coming NCR: telnetga command.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Doesn't bother me that much either, but it makes logs look crappy.

I think the logs come out okay if I use the actual "log" command, but cut/pasting them out of the terminal window keeps the bad formatting.