Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectquestion re: wepaon nerfage
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=60200
60200, question re: wepaon nerfage
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How likely is it that a low-ranking character will actually be better off wielding a lower-average lower-level weapon than a higher-average higher-level weapon?

If that possibility is at least "somewhat likely", then would it make sense to extend the "compare" command to also output which weapon does more damage at the user's current level?

Because, otherwise, he has no way to tell which is going to hit harder. (Ignoring stuff like damroll and vulnerabilities).

To give the most extreme example I can find (based on the assumption that there's no nerfage if the wielder is within 5 levels of the weapon's level):

Imagine a level 13 warrior who is trying to decide between a black steel lance (avg 20, level 18) and a flaming bardiche (avg 22, level 39).

If it's the case that the weapon level code actually makes the flaming bardiche worse for him (because of his low level relative to the weapon's level) then the "compare" command is going to give him bad advice. It will say that the flaming bardiche hits harder, when in fact (at his current level) that isn't the case.
60226, RE: question re: wepaon nerfage
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There is enough complexity (and dice) involved in the relevant code such that I don't care enough to delve into this too deeply when I'm generally of the opinion that if you can't answer these questions through trial and error or observation then the difference isn't enough to worry about.

Some really quick / hacky analysis via a few extra logging calls would suggest that the numbers in your example (13 warrior, those weapons, etc.) make no compelling case one way or the other.
60241, RE: question re: wepaon nerfage
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> Some really quick / hacky analysis via a few extra logging calls would suggest that the numbers in your example (13 warrior, those weapons, etc.) make no compelling case one way or the other.

That's enough to satisfy me. If a 21 level difference isn't enough to nerf an av22 weapon such that it's "worse" than an av20 weapon then it's probably safe to just go with the highest average weapon you have (assuming all else equal in terms of vulns, weight, progs, hit/dam, etc.)
60220, I feel like I did some math at some point...
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And my end result was that it was *close* to WeaponDamage*((Char level + 5 ) / Weapon level)

So for your example the black steel lance is avg. 20 and the flaming bardiche is ~10. Things like enhanced damage make that harder to determine, but I believe it is close enough to make decisions on.

That said I agree compare being accurate would be nice.
60227, I don't think your math checks out. (nt)
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
60230, Fair enough. I don't recall where/when I did that...
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Or what my methodology was. Apparently it was crappy, but it was probably also like 10 years ago, so... that.

Thanks for weighing in with actual fact.
60201, AFAIK better weapons are still better in terms of damage
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What I would really like to know is if the higher level heavier weapon parries better than the lower level lighter weapon. Now THAT is unknowable at present.