Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectChristmas in June: QOL Request
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=59820
59820, Christmas in June: QOL Request
Posted by Serial Herald on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Would it be possible to code a room or two in the Inn of the Eternal Star as "wilderness" to allow rangers and druids to stay in the main hall (rather than stepping behind the Inn) and not lose wilderness time? Thank you for your consideration.
59849, There are a few things here.
Posted by Mendos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Firstly there are some wilderness spaces within the Inn, but they are on the trail into the Inn, rather than the Inn itself.

Secondly, there are some additional options for wilderness dependent Heralds which are well RPed. It doesn't help non-Heralds much though. If you are a non-Herald ranger who plans to spend a lot of time there, explorer might help.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having wilderness spaces within the Inn itself. Never say never though. If we do an Inn face-lift, or revamp stuff, I'll put it up for debate and see if people opine.

What's your precise reasoning for this request?
59850, It makes no sense. It's an inn, not the wilderness.
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I like that there are things in CF which maybe aren't perfectly balanced but are the way they are because they make sense. It's an inn! It's a product of civilization!
59854, How dare you?
Posted by Jaegendar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Feral Rangers demand a Sand Box in the inn!

This lack of consideration for the feline community is a gross offense!

Shame on you!

-Jae
59868, RE: It makes no sense. It's an inn, not the wilderness.
Like I said, not a huge fan of this. That is one of many reasons why it will probably never happen.

Another being camped out PKers picking low hanging fruit there. This is an important consideration if the Inn becomes a newbie hub.
59869, Can't wilderness rooms be made no-camo?
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
59870, It probably could.
But not how things are coded now. It would need code-work and divert resources from other more important areas.

For the most part that sort of thing is tied into terrain type.
59885, Make it a swimming pool? :) NT
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
59853, Perhaps make that edge avaliable to anyone for edge points?
Well, to any ranger/druid.

Seriously, cabal edges are near impossible to get for 99% of the playerbase.
59864, That edge is a bit op
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't think it should be available to all. At least, not when it allows them to camo in other cabals than their own.

I still remember that scion brutalising fort with it.
59866, I'm not talking of the one that lets you camo.
Just the one that lets Inn time count as wilderness time.
59856, RE: There are a few things here.
Posted by Serial Herald on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
My idea is simple. There is wilderness before the actual Inn (outside the Inn Guard) and behind the Inn (separate area not showing up on where). If I'm a ranger/druid that wants to be part of the core Inn (gambler, story-telling fire, the bar), I have to probably lose quite a bit of wilderness time.

On the subject of explorer, IIRC wilderness time is still a big factor for them... but I could be wrong.
59857, Chances are if youre a ranger/druid who wants to do that..
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You are a Herald and are probably on the short list of people who would get that edge that was put in just for those classes.
59859, What edge is this? n/t
Posted by Perpetual_Noob on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
59860, Now I can't remember the name of it
Its a Herald cabal edge that, in a nutshell, makes bar time = wilderness time.
59867, Chances are, by the time you prove your RP
enough to get that edge set by an Imm, your wilderness time is already FUBAR.

EDIT: Unless it retroactively recalculates things making all the previous Inn time count. But even then, why not just make it avaliable to take like any other edge? With ImmXP requirement if you're so inclined.

EDITEDIT: It might be just me since I hoard my wilderness time like crazy and get anxious if I spend more than 3-4 ticks outside the wilds. When I play a ranger, I likely end up with 95% or so (and 75% is the threshold for non-explorers).

But some other guy who specifically played a Herald ranger told me he had huge trouble with wilds time.
59871, Its a fairly new (around a year) cabal edge nt
nt
59873, I'll just say this
I've conditioned myself to be a pessimist in regards to whether my character is going to receive anything from Immortals.

If I played expecting to have cabal edges, I'd probably end up strangling myself. Because I've NEVER had a cabal edge.

It's logical because Immortals can't see and appreciate everything, no matter how hard they try, some (many!) people will still fly under the radar. I'm at peace with it. But please, please, don't use that cabal edge's existence as an argument. That edge might as well not exist.

There needs to be some other option.
59874, Fwiw
since the edge was created, any char that would benefit from having it as a Herald has received it within less than a week of getting inducted.
59872, RE: Explorer.
Caps your losses relative to other builds where wilderness time is concerned, among other things.

Whereas other rangers have maybe five (i think?) tiers of how "wilderness savvy" they are, explorer removes most of the lower tiers.

You still wouldn't be as amazing as an exclusively uncaballed/Outtie ranger with good wilderness time, but you wouldn't be awful either.

It is a definite option for someone who is considering Herald RangerGuy. So much so, I think I would probably opt for it myself.
59823, Perhaps they could make the cellar a cave...
Posted by Perpetual_Noob on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Or Turn the brawling room (which is rarely used since the arena) into a lush garden. Also the Arena should be near the Inn IMHO. Most arena #### starts out from drinking in the Inn.