Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectgear dependency?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=59448
59448, gear dependency?
Posted by Odrirg on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ok so we all know warriors are largely gear dependant.... but what if you just don't know how to get to 60 damroll..even with a cloud/fire giant?....

Which I think makes it harder for people who don't know that kind of regear to bounce back into pk with any chance of winning....

So I would like to ask.... ( other than conjurer, or empowered classes.....which classes/builds are the least gear dependant in order to compete in pk...at mid ranks, and at hero? Which of those classes would be easiest to grab a basic regear and get back in the cabal wars game?
59462, discuss guildmaster
Posted by Aereglen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have seen you get pked by a warrior in ragesteel. The same has happened to me. I've seen very deadly warriors that could kill practically while naked. Gear helps the character. It doesn't make the character. If you want easy path to regearing, go good alignment and use request.

(PS Do you need someone to teach you how to use parenthesis correctly?)
59468, RE: discuss guildmaster
Posted by Jhyrbian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think he'll get it on his own)
59461, Lowbie can be gear-dependent
Posted by Sertius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Depending on the build, it's arguably very important for a lowbie to have gear. I'd say 25-44 is where you need it the most. Pre-25 you'll do fine with outfit and at hero your success or failure will mostly depend on your skills and build, not gear. That's unless you're a specific build, for example high-dam burst, then yes, you'd probably need gear, but will do alright even in basics (red-gold, midnight, crimson) if you have 24+ weapons.

Some builds depend on specific items, that much is true, for example a wood-elf sword needs natural swords, some builds need their weapons in hand, so nodisarm, some need to keep weapons in hand, so 15+ overmax str, etc.

Usually when I eat a full loot, I end up in better gear in a day or two, strangely enough. Probably because I don't bother to look for gear when it's good enough.

But proper build that you personally are able to execute and take full advantage of is much much more important.
59458, Why don't you check some Gragre logs&PBF?
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can do well even naked. And there's no problem with accumulating 60dr with basic regear on hero, provided you drop other stats.

That,s firsthand experience, I've easily gathered 60dr on a ranger first character with half unlim items. Positive saves and little hp though :)

So there's no issue.
59459, heh.
Posted by Odrirg on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Heh. Guess I've just been lazy. The last time I really made an effort to learn eq, dio's eq list was current....maybe 13-15 years ago? Most of the warrior eq I knew of for over lvl 40, is from areas that just no longer exist. I guess I can reliably get +1 dam for most slots, with +2 for rings, wrist, and chest...but that's a pre-20 set that gets you around a 22 damroll. Maybe I'll roll up a character specifically designed to get ic eq help
59470, How on earth?
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've played for what, 3 or 4 years and never had damroll higher than 50 from gear. I've been absolutely rolling in eq; cleaned out PK ranges, had pocket healers run me through area explores, etc etc. 60 damroll from gear isn't something that strikes me as realistically possible, and it's newbie regear?
59476, RE: How on earth?
I can easily post the eq list. It's easy as cake provided you drop other stats. And that's not 60 damroll from gear, it's 60 damroll total, with only gear being modifier other than stats. So it's stats + gear = 60 damroll.

As a hint, there are many items with sick damroll and -dex or -saves. Provided you compensate for dexloss and not care about saves - you're fine.
59477, If you are not a stealth class
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Your ability to go full damroll and screw all else is significantly reduced.
59483, also explains why Gromm always drops his weapons due to -STR :-)
Posted by silat on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
59487, Well that didn't happen until I started building -saves as well
Having around 50 damroll and 60 saves brings your +stats much lower. And I'm not particularly known for wearing leet gear :)

So I just came to having two weapon sets now, primary (very heavy, so would drop at 24 STR) and light :)
59484, Are you including +dam from weapons?
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That becomes a bit more realistic if so.
59486, Sure do NT
NT
59454, If built right, a warrior can shine even in basic regear.
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Certain warrior builds are more gear dependent than others, but I also think you way over estimate the roll that gear plays. Any class, at hero especially, has the ability to make an impact in "basic regear".
59452, RE: gear dependency?
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Assassin. I've done well with assassins with around 20 damroll. Maybe less. Although the weapons had a high average. But generally people shouldn't have many hp when you hit them, if you can't deal much damage, or you are assassinating, or your skills are doing the damage and your lack of damroll is later made up for by the sheer number of hits you land.

Necro can sleep. And frankly Necro is good for regearing.

Paladin is not so gear dependant and not is Druid. Or shaman. Or muter (dex.int build)
59450, Here's a followup question.
Posted by Jhyrbian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you were going to do a warrior, what build would be the least dependent on gear?
59453, Felar HTH/Spear (or dagger, if it were) Whispers, Cry. NT
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
59471, I'd go felar h2h/dagger...sam's build
Posted by TheBluestThumb on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
More maledicts to even the gear table (if fighting people with superior gear) and a relatively common felar_only dagger that people probably wont loot will give you a decent dagger to use 95% of the time.
59475, Also, if you really want to lessen gear dependency...
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...you could go either Evil Outlander (for ignite +dam boost) or village anything (for resist/deathblow/bandage/etc).
59472, I'd go felar h2h/dagger...sam's build
Posted by TheBluestThumb on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
More maledicts to even the gear table (if fighting people with superior gear) and a relatively common felar_only dagger that people probably wont loot will give you a decent dagger to use 95% of the time.
59449, All melee need gear...
Posted by Perpetual_Noob on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Shapeshifter and invoker can get easy hp gear and be up and running off a full loot quick. Sleeks will be your only time sink.

All the damage comes from forms or spells more or less.

Necros... are almost as easy... zombies greater undead and golems... if not sleep for the win.