Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectProblem with say/tell
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=54900
54900, Problem with say/tell
Posted by Mavado on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Im not sure whats going on with my character but I can't get anyone to hear me using say, sayto, tell, whisper or whisperto.

I can see the command working but nobody seems to be able to hear me.

I also noticed going into the dream that the cat couldnt hear the word when I used say but could hear it when I used whisper. Can an Imm fix this or maybe something wrong with my client? Say/Tell etc work fine with my alt so im thinking its in game problem.
54901, RE: Problem with say/tell
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
As an automated anti-spam measure, if you spam communication enough, people will stop being able to hear you for a while. I'd bet this is the case for you.
54902, Ugh! Makes sense now....
I spammed 'hi' to myself in order to practice up improved hide.

How long does this last?

54903, veteran hint for hide spam practice
Posted by Terwin05 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
the 'order' command (or just 'o') without arguments will bring you out of the shadows without dropping sneak, and without any lag.

if that's a bug, and i've just been abusing it for 20 years, then apologies!
54905, you can 'vis hide' instead. nt
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
54907, RE: you can 'vis hide' instead. nt
no lag? or is that only if it de-sneaks you?
54906, improved hide...?
I was thinking that for improved hide you had to perform an action that triggers improved hide like opening/closing a door or telling to someone. You can practice it up the same way you do regular hide is what you are saying?
54909, RE: improved hide...?
Actually, probably not!
54928, I used to trigger the anti-spam also...
Posted by mage on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Did it a couple times before an Imm finally told me what was actually happening. Best way to practice improved hide is to get yourself a container and spam open and close on it. Closing doors has lag, but closing containers does not. Easiest place to do this is inside your thief guild, using the guild chest. Alternatively, you could use the container you carry your stuff around in.
54929, There's no need to step out of shadows to spam up basic hide.
Posted by mage on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can just hide again while you're already in the shadows. If the new attempt fails, you'll be visible again (with no "step out" echo), and if you succeed, you'll remain hidden, but the skill will still be checked. Doing it like this should nearly double the speed at which you perfect hide, since you only have to send in half the commands:

o
hide
o
hide
o
hide

vs:

hide
hide
hide
hide

Enjoy!