Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectOn the topic of logging out! (from other forums)
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=54803
54803, On the topic of logging out! (from other forums)
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
On the "other" forums there is a log where an invoker logs out to avoid being PK'd by some dwarf (presumably battle app). The dwarf is bent because he was attacking said invokers guild guard, and said invoker logged out to avoid axe wielding dwarf.

How do IMM's really feel about the logoff vs bad odds, login something more "fun" at the time. I'm sure this happens quite a bit, I definitely flip flop chars when I run out of people to fight/things to do on one.

I am just curious if you guys have any opinions on this behavior? I remember reading an IMM post that basically said "you should wait 15 mins after logging off char X before logging in char Y"

If you guys in fact, DO NOT condone the logout/login behavior...are there plans to head in the direction of 1 char per player?

Honestly I am simply curious as to what you guys' think about this particular topic.
54826, A good way I try to do it.
Posted by Anti-Hero on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you have 2, a caballed and uncaballed, just don't log them in the same day. Play one on monday, one on tuesday, etc.

Nobody is perfect, sometimes I have a morning character and a night one. But trying not to have them on anytime near each other is what I generally try to do. I follow the one caballed, one uncaballed rule generally myself. Never ever more than 2.
54818, I'm not an imm but
Posted by Marcus_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think it's fine to quit when your faction is ahead (because it makes the playing field more even for those left behind). But quitting because the opposition is tough is lame, because then you're just screwing your remaining cabalmates and also enemies over.
54815, Do that many people play 2 characters?
Posted by atanek on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Seems hard enough to me to juggle 1. O_o
54816, More than those that only play one character. (n/t)
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
54807, RE: On the topic of logging out! (from other forums)
Posted by Akresius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>On the "other" forums there is a log where an invoker logs
>out to avoid being PK'd by some dwarf (presumably battle app).
> The dwarf is bent because he was attacking said invokers
>guild guard, and said invoker logged out to avoid axe wielding
>dwarf.

>How do IMM's really feel about the logoff vs bad odds, login
>something more "fun" at the time. I'm sure this happens quite
>a bit, I definitely flip flop chars when I run out of people
>to fight/things to do on one.

>I am just curious if you guys have any opinions on this
>behavior? I remember reading an IMM post that basically said
>"you should wait 15 mins after logging off char X before
>logging in char Y"

In regards to logging out while a fight is pending, if you are able to quit, then quitting is fine. If I see a trend of this happening a lot, you may get a title for it, but only after more than a few occurances.

In regards to switching characters, I'd like to discourage the behavior. The 15 minute wait time is a good idea. Given the number of times people type "where" and "who" while playing, quitting and then logging on an alternate can look like you are scouting for your other character. Again, if you're approached about this, it's not because you did it once; rather, I've noticed a trend.

As I told someone recently, go out and have a smoke or make some toaster oven pizzas or walk your dog, and then come back and login your alternate character.

There is no push to force people to have only one character as far as I know.
54806, My personal stance
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Edited: ERROR! UNMATCHED PARENTHESES!

>On the "other" forums there is a log where an invoker logs
>out to avoid being PK'd by some dwarf (presumably battle app).
> The dwarf is bent because he was attacking said invokers
>guild guard, and said invoker logged out to avoid axe wielding
>dwarf.
>
>How do IMM's really feel about the logoff vs bad odds, login
>something more "fun" at the time. I'm sure this happens quite
>a bit, I definitely flip flop chars when I run out of people
>to fight/things to do on one.

I'm not happy when I see this happen. It's one reason why I play (and advocate playing) one mortal character at a time.

Depending on the circumstances, it is, in a way, against our rules. Much like you are not allowed to log in a level 10 ranger, check the who list, then log out and go retrieve as your hero Tribunal because no Outlanders are on. It's mixing information between characters.

HOWEVER to clarify: The actions in the log I have no problems with, based solely on what I saw - a player logged off his character (and actually I'm not certain that happened - chars get hit with "PK-attempt-adrenaline" when someone hits their guild guard while they are inside the guild, and the player was gone faster than I'd have thought that possible).

ALSO it is never against the rules to log off when you need to. We live in an age (and with a playerbase) of people who don't (necessarily) have hours and hours to spend playing CF.

So to reiterate, the problem isn't logging off, it's mixing character info and/or fair-weather-playing (I see a strong enemy has logged in, so I'll log off this char and log on with a char that is his/her ally instead).

>I am just curious if you guys have any opinions on this
>behavior? I remember reading an IMM post that basically said
>"you should wait 15 mins after logging off char X before
>logging in char Y"

>If you guys in fact, DO NOT condone the logout/login
>behavior...are there plans to head in the direction of 1 char
>per player?
>
>Honestly I am simply curious as to what you guys' think about
>this particular topic.

I don't see making 1 char per player ever happening. Attempting to enforce it would be more trouble than it is worth. I'd rather just reward chars who stick it out against bad odds and that sort of thing.

54808, RE: My personal stance
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"I'm not happy when I see this happen. It's one reason why I play (and advocate playing) one mortal character at a time."

Yeah, the problem with this idea is that with the current PB numbers there's only so much you can do. I've got one guy in PK that I've killed already, 3 guys who are not enemies but are off somewhere ranking and I'm tired of spamming skills and solo-exploring. So my choices are log another character to try to get something productive done or log out to play a different game.

54809, RE: My personal stance
Posted by Ekaerok on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I also largely follow the one character at a time rule.

As Ekaerok, If I logged with no enemies I would make sure I was working towards getting all of my enemy cabals items. Generally, enemies or allies would follow and we could do some pking or exploring. If for some odd reason it was just absolutely quiet, I'd gather preps, check on gear, or explore someplace I hadn't in a while looking for things I missed.

No one likes the guy who logs onto a cabal, sees hes alone, then logs off and logs on another cabal to be a part of the masses.
54810, As someone who tends to play two chars....
Posted by Moligant on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I used to keep the 'one char at a time' thing and for the most part I still do - until the main character reaches hero.

I can understand the whole 'I can gather preps etc.' angle but depending on your class, prep gathering is all of 15 minutes to 30 minutes tops and usually I do all my prep work prior to logging off anyways so gathering preps isnt something id be doing when I first log on.

If you read my 'I hate level 51' thread then you may get that I find being a hero extremely boring for the most part outside of some good RP moments and some PK here and there but overall there isn't anything to look forward to anymore except the same things I can get done at lower levels minus a few skills. You can pretty much explore anywhere with a decent group by the 40s and forr most classes you have the bulk of your skills by the 40s.

I mostly stay at hero because I do manage to create a few goals like becoming a cabal leader or something like that.

Which brings me to the secondary character....

I eventually create a secondary character because I tend to play on a regular basis and the main hero character is likely either boring me to death because I logon and there is nothing to do except go raid some cabal for the nth time or the main hero character is in a position to be a leader if they live a bit longer.

I kinda got this way after my character Hyu Strongarm got passed over in the Rites and reading the pbf the reason was low con. I wasn't mad or anything but it made me realize that sometimes timing is everything and that sometimes 'pulling back' a little is the only way to get a spot you want.

Now don't get me wrong - I dislike folks who get a leader position then aren't ever around but lets take a good example of a very long lived character like the former chancellor who is now the Flame.

I've had a character hero and delete, another one hero and age die, another one hero and con die, a current hero and a current lowbie in their 20s all in the timeframe he has been AT HERO.

I say that to say that I sometimes create a secondary character to stretch out the life of a character who on my own id burn out MUCH faster than the few characters like the above who have spots you'd like to try (after years and years of playing) and have finally learned as mentioned that timing is everything.

54811, RE: As someone who tends to play two chars....
Posted by Ekaerok on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Some of that makes pretty good sense. If you are playing that much, two characters can work out okay.

Personally, I normally found that if I did decide to roll a second char that before I hit 10 I'd delete because I just didn't have any interest and wanted to play my main.
54812, RE: My personal stance
My last imperial was Lusciat, certainly not a fair weather char in my humble opinion - but after collecting 700 or so gold and whatever gear I could reasonably solo, all that's left is being bored. I don't play games to be bored.

To me it's a flaw if you don't recognize how someone could find being outnumbered 7 to 1 not just lame but also quite boring in contrast with other games out there. Now, granted, there's a huge difference between logging in and then immediately logging out to switch - that's lame. But if I've put my 90 minutes in and I'm bored blind, I'm going to switch or play something else.
54813, Me too.
>My last imperial was Lusciat, certainly not a fair weather
>char in my humble opinion - but after collecting 700 or so
>gold and whatever gear I could reasonably solo, all that's
>left is being bored. I don't play games to be bored.
>
>To me it's a flaw if you don't recognize how someone could
>find being outnumbered 7 to 1 not just lame but also quite
>boring in contrast with other games out there. Now, granted,
>there's a huge difference between logging in and then
>immediately logging out to switch - that's lame. But if I've
>put my 90 minutes in and I'm bored blind, I'm going to switch
>or play something else.

To me, that "something else" ends up being a different game entirely. I'm not saying that works for everyone. But let me reiterate - I'm not thinking it's bad form to quit after being logged in for a short (or any) period of time, generally (if it becomes a habit? Well, that kinda sucks). But if I were to catch you logging out Lusciat (in your example) because Fort came knocking, and then logging in a Fort (or allied-with-Fort) char? Meh. I might talk to you about that.
54814, Addendum
Some of my best/most fun times on CF in recent years have been when I've been at that point of "Meh, I should just logoff, nothing much is going on." and decide to do just one more thing before logging off. Then an ally (or enemy) logs in that suddenly makes things a little more interesting, and pretty soon it's like someone flipped the fun switch back on.

Other times I've waited 20 minutes for that fun switch and it hasn't happened and I've logged off, though.
54817, hah, in my experience....
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When I want to explore:

my PK range is full of enemies who want to have massive PK battles with me!

When I want to PK:

My range is full of allies who want to explore!

Maybe it's just me ;)
54828, I've been the dude who gets ganged and fulled in that situation.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
#### you RNG.
54825, RE: Me too.
Nah. I usually play two characters. One under level 30 who is just practicing skills and doing lowbie PVP and one at hero range.

I don't 'switch sides' because that's lame as hell. Switch chars - sure...so I can spam up my defenses or whatever - but I don't play opposing cabals because it ruins both chars to know too much about each other.