Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectshould treants be imm blunt vs mobs?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=5390
5390, should treants be imm blunt vs mobs?
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just looking at a log where groups of storm giants were all targetted at a treant, which they couldn't hurt.

Is this balanced? I can understand treants being imm blunt vs players, but against mobs it seems a bit much, even if it makes for easier coding.

Maybe others consider it fine though, hence my asking, but a tank that's immune to a wide variety of mobs seems a little strong. I'd argue my case like this:

Mobs don't get lagged by players because mobs lag other abilities, like the ability to run away. Similarly, a player would run away if he was unable to do anything against someone. These mobs just stand there until they die, despite the fact that it is clear that they can do nothing. Therefore, I would enable mobs to treat imm blunt as res_blunt.
5401, another possible fix?
Posted by permanewbie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
4-5 years ago when I was playing a necromancer, it always REALLY bugged me when blinded mobs would re-direct from my zombies to me.

Perhaps if mobs would re-direct to the Druid in a similar manner from the treant? Or perhaps mobs could re-direct to any pc that was hitting them if they are fighting another mob?(each round of combat would increase the chance of the re-direct, modifyable by things such as mob intelligence, mob dexterity, and blindness/etc.)

"Death awaits ya all, wit nasteh big pointeh teeth!"
5406, It does this..
Posted by Grurk Muouk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It does this now, for Druids and Treants. But if the Storms Giants
can't see the Druid (Outlander Camo), Then the giants can't see
what to redirect to.

Grurk

5408, Yeah,
Posted by permanewbie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But I was thinking of mobs re-directing to whoever is hitting them...not just the owner of the mob that is tanking them currently.

So, if a chamo druid had a treant that was tanking, but an invoker was laying down the hurt on the Storm giants, the giants might be smart enough to stop hitting the Treant and hit the invoker.

"Death awaits ya all, wit nasteh big pointeh teeth!"
5391, RE: should treants be imm blunt vs mobs?
Posted by ORB on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
By design. :)

There are plenty of classes that can make themselves immune to certain attacks. Ala paladins vs wrath wielders, certain demons against acid attacks, elementals vs their element, etc. You would have to change all of these to be fair then.

P.S. The Imms have been nerf crazy enough as it is, do you really need to help them? I bet you reminded the teacher to give out homework as well. ;)
5393, Known issue.
Posted by Grurk Muouk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This was brought up internally some time ago.
It was determined it needs to be fixed. Just
a matter of when at this point.

Grurk

5394, RE: should treants be imm blunt vs mobs?
Posted by Graatch on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You wrote:

"There are plenty of classes that can make themselves immune to certain attacks. Ala paladins vs wrath wielders, certain demons against acid attacks, elementals vs their element, etc. You would have to change all of these to be fair then."

Uh, no. You are comparing apples and oranges. First, a paladin is a pc, not a mob. Second, there would be no sense in a fire elemental being hurt by fire. That's just obvious. And it makes perfect sense that a holy warrior would be able to protect himself from holy attacks. These are logical and reasonable and they do not unbalance anything. Conversely a treant is a tree (to my understanding). A tree would be plenty hurt if I went at it with a big ole mace. (Not as quickly as it would if I were using a sharp instrument, to be sure, but that argues for a resist_blunt, not an immune_blunt.) Removing the immunity to blunt objects does not implicate any other class or mob, and makes perfect sense.
5395, Also, paladins are not exactly imm wrath
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Paladins lose mana each time they are spared from some wrath damage, iirc, and their inability to switch it off (it being a fairly long duration effect) can be used against them.
5396, Yup. Perpetual vs. pay-as-you-go.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Invoker shields on other people work the same way. You take a small ding on your mana each time they're on someone else, and stressed. They also have durations, etc. that can complicate using them, and we're reasonably careful about not making too many ranking mobs which can only deal elemental or holy damage.

Blunt is a little different- it's probably the most common "base" attack damage (ask a gnome), and a lot of common skills that show up on ranking NPCs (Kick, Bash, etc.) use it as well. I'd argue it's the best of the commonly seen immunities.

Treants vs. blunt was discussed internally recently, but sort of fell off the table while we were upgrading our servers and communication got sparse. I think my inclination was to put them somewhere in between a "normal" resistance and total immunity. This way, it's still pointless to beat on one with a mace in a PK situation, but you can't use one to perpetually tank 12 storm giants.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
5403, RE: should treants be imm blunt vs mobs?
Posted by ORB on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yeah ok. Go find the biggest oak tree you can and go take a sledge hammer to it and tell me how many days it takes to fell it.