Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectQuestion for Daev/Twist/IMP on spellbane function
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=53237
53237, Question for Daev/Twist/IMP on spellbane function
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How does spellbane actually work? Does it check to see if you saved vs specific spell, and if you make the save the result is the spell is 'spellbaned'?

Or, is it its own "thing" seperate from saves vs spell entirely?

I guess what I am asking is, what if anything determines if spellbane "works" on any given spell.

I am curious as to if there would be a benefit for a rager warrior to take calming the tempest. Would this make him into super-spellbane boy? what with spellbane/warcry/calming/svs gear? Or, would the additional legacy and svs spell not really have that much affect on spellbane frequency assuming that the warrior already has decent saves/warcry/spellbane up.

Also do specific spells have higher chances/etc of being spellbaned? or is it a "one size fits all"

53242, RE: Question for Daev/Twist/IMP on spellbane function
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's its own thing, which cares about spell saves. Calming would be very helpful with spellbane function. That being said, I don't know about anyone else but when I play Battle I basically never die to mages (not counting shifters here since bane isn't really a factor).

A spell can either be baned or it can't (e.g. area spells for non-thirsting Battle).
53243, Wait!
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought ragers were a joke for everyone to kill?

And wouldn't spellbane being so good that you never die to mages indicate that it is a bit TOO good?

Edit: When I play mages (I only play mages) my greatest opponents are ALWAYS ragers. And they don't even need to be skilled players, just have pincer and spellbane, and I need to treat them like they are 5x more skilled than I am if I hope to win.
53244, And when you do win they aren't worth any charges :(
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
53245, You are the reason we have spellbane :P
Posted by Zephon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
lol, sorry, I could not resist.
53246, RE: Wait!
Alright, I don't usually jump to the defense of the IMM's but..

He said when 'he' plays ragers he doesn't die to mages.

The battlefield is chock full of pleanty of ragers who DO die to mages...a lot....moreso than those who 'never' do.

Comparing every rager alive to a Daevryn played rager is silly. If I can kill them, you can kill them.

53247, Yes, and
I die -- just, not to that.

So for me, personally, Calming wouldn't be the best choice, even if I think mechanically it's really strong for Battle.
53249, RE: Yes, and
Followup question: Twist posted on his xmas board that the 'best' chance you could ever get to evade was about 12% max.

What is the 'best' chance you can get to spellbane a spell?
53252, RE: Yes, and
It's in the ballpark of 80-90% max success rate. (A character with Calming could actually exceed that by a bit.)

Side note: that 12% is theoretical and I doubt many characters even crack double digits.