Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectGauging the balance while hidden
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=45916
45916, Gauging the balance while hidden
Posted by Shadowy Islander on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Any way of making this not cause you to step out of the shadows?

Given the lag it causes and that it is really a RP-focused power in a lot of ways, it seems like the sort of thing that could be done while hidden so I don't have to blow my cover just to make sure the balance hasn't shifted since the last time I checked.

Or is there some edge (improved hide?) that would allow this?
45922, how evil would it be to...
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Make the 3 balances options to be displayed in the prompt.

The knowing stuff part of me feels like that could be great, the part of me that realizes there is a place in the cabal for temporarily being ignorant of the balance cringes.

There is also the whole current downside to not having the key and determining the balance that would have to be addressed if this change was made.
45921, Answer inside.
Posted by Alston on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When you guage the balance do a WHO.

If you haven't felt any fluxuations and the who list is stable, then you'll probably be good.
45924, RE: Answer inside.
Posted by The-me on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can tell the position of all the cabal items by the who list? impressive.
45941, The who list is over powered in that...
In many cases it can tell you who is raiding and what not.

All I am saying is that if you had recently guaged the balance and wanted to gamble on attacking, you might get enough info out of Who to hedge your bets.
45928, RE: Answer inside.
Posted by orangepowered on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Seeing as the who list sometimes has very little to do with the balance, this would not work. Often it is one cabal obtaining another cabals item. If I judged based just on who, I would never see all of the outlanders and how many items they held.
45930, ..from someone who has never played Nexus and doesn't know what they're talking about. n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
45940, I have played many Nexuns.
Just like I play you.
45919, RE: Gauging the balance while hidden
Posted by Graatch on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Any way of making this not cause you to step out of the
>shadows?
>
>Given the lag it causes and that it is really a RP-focused
>power in a lot of ways, it seems like the sort of thing that
>could be done while hidden so I don't have to blow my cover
>just to make sure the balance hasn't shifted since the last
>time I checked.
>
>Or is there some edge (improved hide?) that would allow this?

Then all village assassins should be able to call spellbane/resist/trusight while in the shadows, not just scouts.
45923, What?
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How do those compare in the slightest to gauging the balance? I could see if he had said vanguard or something.

I don't know if gauging should be possible while hidden, but I don't see the connect you are making.
45925, RE: What?
Posted by The-me on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There is a disconnect here, perhaps truesight is more logical match.
45929, Close
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think true sight still gives a real advantage while gauge doesn't really change anything except who your target is.

At least true sight makes sense though considering they are both vision-based.
45937, RE: What?
Posted by Shadowy Islander on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

The difference seems to be that as a Villager you are getting a notable benefit through the use of truesight. Hence the perk of being a scout as a char that relies on being hidden to really take advantage of those benefits to their fullest. Whereas in gauging the balance you are basically getting nothing other than making sure you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in terms of RP/PK at that moment. It's just painful to have to step out of the shadows for 5 seconds or whatever just to make sure the balance hasn't tipped. I suppose one can always plead ignorance if it did shift, but sometimes that goes against the RP basis of being a Nexun.

No big deal either way, this was just an observation I thought was worth discussion. I feel like gauge should be a kind of intuitive thing that doesn't take a lot of strain. Truesight seems to be more of an effort based on the way it's been designed. I suppose gauge could be made to be like truesight in that it could be done without the key but with added strain on the body and then it would make sense to knock you out of the shadows if you didn't have the key.

Ah well, just some food for thought.