Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectIgnore
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=43420
43420, Ignore
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've been back playing CF for about four years now and have never used the ignore command.

I also can only think of one instance where I've had it used on me. Basically it's not a part of my CF experience.

Until I log on to the forums. Part of the playerbase accuses part of the playerbase of aggressively using ignore. People want a two-tick timer on the use of ignore. There's much talk about ignore, but it seems to rarely be used the way it was originally intended.

So, I'm wondering if ignore need even be part of the game. And if so, maybe it's the sort of thing that needs to be earned. I think this would go a long way toward ending the taunt/ignore tactic that some of you guys seem to be experiencing constantly.

Obviously, gagging in-client would still be available, but that doesn't induce the same rage that taunt/ignore begets as the ignored party doesn't realize they're being ignored.

What do you guys think?
43576, Coming NCR:
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can't ignore someone you've talked to extremely recently.

Right now I'm erring on the side of permissive with this and the window in which you can't ignore is short. Depending on how it plays out we may adjust it further.
43574, Ignore without the echo
Posted by Void on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Change the command so that the ignored party don't get the echo. This is closer to real-life ignore anyway. In real-life, you can never be sure if the person is ignoring you on purpose or otherwise.
43423, RE: Ignore
I definitely have doing something to cut way down on the use of taunt/ignore on my to-do list but I'm still noodling out exactly what form I think that should take.
43425, I support this.
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And have no ideas as how to approach it other than just doing away with the command.
43441, Thanks!
Posted by trewyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You're awesome.

I liked the suggestion Dur posted on the thread I started. Just not being able to ignore them if you said the last thing would be enough to satisfy me.

You can ignore them as long as you give up the option of having the last word.

Juvenile insult matches are a long time tradition that used to be fun in CF before we all started taking this stuff so seriously.
43442, RE: Thanks!
>You're awesome.
>
>I liked the suggestion Dur posted on the thread I started.
>Just not being able to ignore them if you said the last thing
>would be enough to satisfy me.

Something along those lines is roughly what I have in mind as most of my ideal solution, depending on how easy it is to implement.

I need to sit down and get a better handle on how AFK works codewise and how to leverage the data it tracks to that end if possible, but I haven't yet.
43443, RE: Thanks!
Posted by Malakhi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Juvenile insult matches are a long time tradition that used to
>be fun in CF before we all started taking this stuff so
>seriously.

Not for me. There are a couple of people that would make the game unplayable for me if ignore were removed. I don't log into CF to engage in a pick-up-basketball-game style trash talking aimed at me as a player rather than my character. I get enough threatening or derisive correspondence as part of my work (I am an attorney) that I want to escape it for an hour or two when I play a RP/PK game like CF.

There are certain people intentionally trying to invoke an emotional reaction so as to get a PK advantage over you and it is not quite rule breaking or spamming, so IMM policing is inefficient - and really no IMM wants that job. Moreover, while ignore can be targeted to that one player, and no more, Quiet actually does limit your opportunities for quality RP. I do not think anyone should have to sit through quasi-RP taunting to play CF, and Ignore has been one of the key additions to the game to make it enjoyable for me.
43461, quasi-rp taunting.
Posted by Voralian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I like that word.

This q dude really mind ####ed me today. I am on new meds and I can think straight, but the mindfk bs is too much.

This game is the best creative outlet I'll ever get, also the best mindfk at times too.
43460, Thank you.
Posted by Khacan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Can you put something into the rules about ignore usage?
Maybe do a gear purge to those who do it too much?

Really pissed over the no rp, decked out/vulture level sitting lowbie who abuses ignore and loots anything that takes any time gathering.

43526, Limit ignore to 3 characters per character?
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I almost never use ignore, but with Zantala there was a shifter I had to put on ignore, permanently. I would hate for it to have only been temporary.