Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectA couple of flaws I wouldn't mind seeing.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=34103
34103, A couple of flaws I wouldn't mind seeing.
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Old: Adds years to your character's starting age. Can be taken multiple times.

Obviously none of the bonuses associated with aging would kick in, but the negatives would. For example, if you flaw yourself to mature, you don't get any +STR, but if you flaw yourself to middle-aged, you do get -STR.

Vegetarian: A character with this flaw who eats any food flagged as meat or flesh gets a poison effect for 12 hours.

Carnivore: A character with this flaw who eats any food flagged as plant gets a poison effect for 12 hours.

I realize that simply roleplaying these last two is an option, but I like the imperative it adds. If you have one of these flaws and run out of food in the wrong place you're put into a rather dire situation.

This is the part where you tell me that there are 10,000 food items in the game and 99% of them are simply flagged as "food."
34104, RE: A couple of flaws I wouldn't mind seeing.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't like the aged thing. Its like saying, "I'm only going to play for 200 hours, but I want to take as many edges as possible to juice up my throwaway character."
34105, I didn't think you got edge points for taking flaws. Do you? n/t
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
xdbsd
34106, It's been said that the edge points you recieve aren't worth the flaws. n/t
Posted by wareagle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
34111, RE: It's been said that the edge points you recieve aren't worth the flaws. n/t
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's the way its intended to be. But, with his proposed edge, a person who's only going to play the character 200 hours *anyway* really doesn't "lose" anything. So its like free edge points.
34112, So, make it like 'Repulsive.'
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It has an affect, but doesn't garner edge points.

The point is that some roles don't work out so well when your level 1 human is sixteen.
34115, It'd be better as Isildur describes.
Posted by Scrimbul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If those of us that only play for 150-200 hours anyway want to trade character longevity for edge points, we should be able to do that.

It's not as if these characters are going to get con quests and/or be very likely to get rewards and/or less likely to be denied/slain for toeing the line on RP (in fact it will probably happen more often)

But 'most' people in Thera shouldn't be living longer than whatever duration of time 200 hours is anyway.
34116, RE: So, make it like 'Repulsive.'
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If I were ever to decide to add this kind of edge, this is the form it would take.
34107, You get some.
Posted by Java on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But the theory is, it isn't proportional to what you're giving up. Flaws are intended to always be a net-loss. But yes, you do get some edge points for it.
34109, Then simply do not give edge points for these flaws.
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And I like them, especially about aging.