Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectContact Other Planes
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=24625
24625, Contact Other Planes
Posted by KoeKhaos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Does the penalty really have to be so ugly? 45 hours in game of forget/insanity is just so annoying it's insane. You just try to find a quiet place and sit... and sit... and sit some more... because you can't play and you piss people off if you try to talk to them. Perty please reduce it to like 5-10 hours or something? :P
24750, imbued with a blessing?
Posted by Amortis on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
ok - if I ID an item and it says it's imbued with a blessing, what does that mean? That it does have a prog or bonus I can't detect, or does this mean just that it's magical, or nothing at all?
24752, Means it is consecrated/blessed
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not sure of the effect on armors, but for weapons it allows priests to wield it.

Also, an edge "Mailed Templar" gains more benefit out of blessed armors.
24735, RE: Contact Other Planes
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You've got identify.

You want the stats on something, cast identify.

You want special information ONLY contact other planes can give you, you cast that and take your chances.

The only change I would consider making to COP is giving it drawbacks that are more likely to just kill you. (Which it sounds like you might be okay with.)
24736, Actually, to a degree yes.
Maybe not make it PWK attempt on you each time, but as it is, it doesn't do anything to give you an advantage over either NPC or PC, and yet it can stop you from being able to do anything in the game at all. Not even roleplay. I don't understand having something that stops you from playing a game, which is meant to be played, for such a long period of time. Not really a big deal I suppose, I just don't understand the whole 45 ticks of might as well go watch TV time.
24741, shut up :) -nt-
Posted by Turing on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
no.
24744, RE: Actually, to a degree yes.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Look at it this way:

CoP gives you item knowledge no other class can get. Occasionally it also puts you out of commission for 45 hours. The alternative is to spend some amount of time fiddling around with an item, trying all sorts of things to make it "do its thing", only to give up at some point and say to yourself, "Well, I guess it doesn't do anything."

Thing is, unless you're a conjurer who has cast CoP on the item, <b>you're never really sure</b> whether the item does, in fact, have some nifty prog that you just failed to discover during all your testing.
24745, which is kind of lame.
Posted by Aodh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mean, mystery is definitely cool.... but.....
24746, RE: which is kind of lame.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So what do you suggest?

Should every class get a risk-free equivalent of CoP?
24748, I'm not saying risk free!
I'm saying that not playing a game, which is a game, because of the game... sucks. And anyone can ask most conjurers to do a cop on an item and most conjurers would do it for them. I just don't like a game affect that = you don't play the game for 20 minutes real time, or however long that ends up being. I don't understand such a long down time in a game where you are unable to do a single thing. Hell, make forget last the full 45 hours, but reduce insanity to 5 hours or something so you can at least call for help or role play. There is no huge reward with this spell. You don't learn the super secret abilities of an item to let you pwn. You don't insta kill your enemies. You don't get barrier wand locations. You MIGHT learn that an item you already suspect of doing something does something. Yes, it's nice. But no, it's not super duper amazing enough to make it so you can't play the game for twenty minutes in any way shape or form. That's what I don't understand. It's a game, you should be able to play it. I've got my thoughts across on it so I won't beat a dead horse anymore.
24747, I thought cell phones were illegal on planes? ;) n/t
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
24753, Hardy har har. Very clever = lols. : ) nt.
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
24727, Ignore the detect charm post. Tell me what you think about this one!
Without even being linked to pvp or fighting npcs or anything, being forced to not play for a long ass time is annoying. This is the single most frustrating thing that can happen to me as a conjurer. Dying, getting full looted, whatever, is nothing next to 45 ticks of me playing a game by not playing it in any way!