Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectTypical vs Atypical Characters
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=20562
20562, Typical vs Atypical Characters
Posted by WildGirl on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Something that I've noticed is that some people play the same things over and over and over again. I know that's odd coming from me, as I constantly play Outlanders and rangers, but I do try to stretch character ideas and concepts and roles.

How often do you try a concept you haven't tried before? Do you play to hero? Do you find the effort worth it (even if you don't get any immteraction)?

I usually try a new concept character every few character rolls. Sometimes I'll want to try something that failed in previous characters (like Kyraea was the evolution of what failed as Antira) and I felt she became unique in and of herself. However, Mikatra was a big change for me in characters.

I don't often make it to hero with new concepts, though. Ekasser-something was a human pole spec Outlander with a hand made of silver.

I like to know I did something neat for myself rather than the rewards I get, so the effort is usually worth it. I do get frustrated and bored sometimes, and that usually culminates in deleting the character, but that's fine for me. I don't need a character with more than 200 hours. That's plenty of time with one (for me).

Just wondering how other people try to play.
20574, RE: Typical vs Atypical Characters
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mix my characters a lot.

Play goodies and evils, lawful-abiding and law-breaking, all classes (but some I won't play again, I suspect).

The one common theme is that my characters don't tend to be assholes to anyone.
20567, For me
Posted by Rogue on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I basically have three types of characters I play.

Cush characters, like rangers, druids, shapeshifters, or villager classes that I know well and can spend more time enjoying specific aspects of the game with, over "learning" the class or cabal.

Enemy characters, character types that I generally fight most with my cush characters, duergars, imperials, tribunal, paladins, basically so that I can learn how they play and how to exploit
their weaknesses with a cush character I have down the line.

Something New characters, builds/sets of warriors or thieves that I just simply havent tried and would like to see what's there for something different.

I tend to find if I stick to one character type too many times in a row, I end up getting no where with them because I just burn out, and need something new. However, I only really have a ton of fun with characters I am comfortale with. Don't get me wrong, I have had a blast playing scions, tribbies, imperials, but I just don't get the flag to attention as much when I am in my own playstyle.

I like to see what I am fighting, and how to beat them, then I like to play out my cush, and beat them.

Make sense?
20565, For Me...
Posted by Kastellyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I try to do something totally different each time around, pretty much because I don't really have the time to devote to creating and fleshing out a bunch of characters in quick succession. I like the different gaming experience each time.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

*** Email me your testimonials or two-line blurbs. Help our marketing efforts! ***