Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRangers and Bows
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=11397
11397, Rangers and Bows
Posted by WildGirl on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Even though Valg discouraged class changes, this one might be a neat addition to the ranger class and might not require massive amounts of work, as it incorporates existing items and such.

I would like to see some more bow-loving in the game. As an exotic weapon, its probably one of the most common types and I don't really see why it IS an exotic weapon. There are lots of mobs that either wield a bow or carry one (in their desc). Perhaps make a bow proficiency weapon skill available only to rangers (and possibly warriors without the ability to spec in it), give the rangers some bow-only skills, and maybe give them the ability to to fashion one the same way as a staff or spear.

One idea for this would be to make it best usuable when they're not standing in front, a la circle stab for thieves.

- aim - similar to pugil in damage, two round lag, may cause minor str or dex loss, high chance of hitting, but groupmates may get in the way

- multi-shot - several arrows fired in the same shot, not very accurate, medium damage, two round lag

- trick shot - like aim, except won't hit your groupmates, as you can pull off a neat shot to get around them. Could be an auto skill in conjunction with aim

- improvise - realizing that they're standing under a branch in the woods that's holding a bees nest, or scaring a nearby beast in a field, this could only take place in the wilds and its effects would be dependent upon terrain and luck. Could be one of any type of minor maledictions (i.e. physical blindness, slow, being put off-balance) and would last 0-1 hours.

Obviously the names need work, but this would create something new and interesting for the ranger class, give them something to do other than serpentstrike, give them a reason to not always have to tank, provide a use for all the bows laying around, AND make little puppies happy.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
11644, Whoops
Posted by nepenthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I meant to respond to this when it was first posted.

>Even though Valg discouraged class changes, this one might be
>a neat addition to the ranger class and might not require
>massive amounts of work, as it incorporates existing items and
>such.

I think it's more that we'd prefer to see stand-alone skill ideas, in general. If I'm thinking of revamping rangers, for example, it's generally easier for me to take one well-thought out rangery skill and shoehorn it a bit to where it helps specializations or whatever balance out best than to try to do something with rough ideas for a whole specialization choice.

All that said, the idea of bow-focused rangers is an idea that's crossed our minds, and we definitely haven't ruled it out as a possibility at some point. Most of the skill ideas/implementation here don't really set my imagination afire, though.

We like making little puppies happy.
11399, Let's play with your bow idea then.
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'd see bow as a cowards weapon who doesn't want to take part in melee. Using it wouldn't bring you to fight if the enemy would be fighting, but it would aggravate enemy that is idle. Also, the bow would be useless if the archer would be engaged in melee combat. Basically, something to deal damage with to a person in same room, yet being a ranged weapon. Bit different than circle idea, but I think this is more realistic.