Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectTrib Law and Consequences
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=68882&mesg_id=68998
68998, Trib Law and Consequences
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I believe the crux of the Trib law problem comes not from any actual issues with the Law being poorly written (which it is), but that the consequences aren't fun from an OOC perspective. IC, My badass hero Villager doesn't give two ####s about the law. I kill mages. Don't care where. But that is tempered, not by the fear of getting on Tribunal's bad side, but by the OOC annoyance and time wasting of dealing with guard NPCs all over the place.

Or, if you aren't a villager, and you aren't an Outlander, and you have an actual desire to ever buy anything, you have literally invulnerable shoppies that kick your ass if you forget for a second that you are WANTED. You have to mow throw low level NPCs attack you even though they die 2 rounds later. You have towns like Udgaard, which don't even have Tribunal protection, being completely inaccessible.

None of this makes sense IC. Very little of it is punishing in an IC sense. Almost all of it seems designed to annoy, punish, and waste the time of the WANTED player.

Imagine, if you will, a Thera where you, as a minotaur, got attacked by every human female. After all, you are an abomination born from the death of a human female. How playable is said minotaur? Even as a hero this would just be *annoying*. Now if Human Female PC wanted to try and murder you, that would be interesting. That could be a fun little story between two players, but being harassed by NPCs isn't fun or interesting. It obnoxious.

If you want to fix Tribunal "law", fix guard NPC behaviour to give them any sense of self-preservation. Fix all the random "guard" mobs that shouldn't give 2 ####s about a WANTED flag. Make shoppies murder-able and loot-able, so if they want to start something because you are a criminal, they can reap the consequences. Now being WANTED isn't pure player annoyance and you can fill that hole with meaningful player interaction instead of time wasting punishment style behavior.