Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectI don't think your post here is helpful
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=57604&mesg_id=57642
57642, I don't think your post here is helpful
Posted by Humbert on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Umiron is one of the nicer IMMs, and verbally attacking him isn't productive.

The IMMs have a point - it's a classic slippery slope. I don't mind seeing one or two copied descriptions, but if everyon is walking around with descriptions re-used for the 10th time, and some people even have identical descriptions, then that would be quite damaging to the game's atmosphere. It's not very hard to change a description, so players should change it.

However I would like the IMMs to consider this policy: upon catching a recycled description, give a warning. If that warning is not heeded, then dock IMMXP. My reasoning below:

Sometimes it is an error, i.e. a person's copied the wrong pre-formatted text file into the description. I just can't see a -250 IMMXP punishment for what may have been an honest error. I know it is not a heavy punishment, but it is still more punishment than a lot of more game-hurting behaviours get.

For example a lot of people do permas, or "soft permas", with little to no punishment. Others behave horribly towards their fellow players, and actively seek to destroy their fun. These things ruin the MUD more than a few errant descriptions.

I ask the Immortals to consider changing the policy to giving a warning first, before docking IMMXP in the case of no compliance. This way you help the game in both ways:

1. Good, original descriptions.
2. Happy players who did not suffer because they copied the wrong text file.