Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectFrom a Newbie
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=56349&mesg_id=56387
56387, From a Newbie
Posted by Paek on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm a newbie - not exactly a brand new player, but I consider myself new to the game.

This game has a crazy steep learning curve. I've heroed one character (a bard) and managed to learn some basics, like where the major towns are, how to get a return potion, etc. But overall I still don't know much.

I really want to get into the PK side of things, so I'm now playing a class that is more PK driven. Getting totally smashed, but it's fun.

I think my record is something like 2-30.

One thing that has helped me throughout the game is this mentality that you will die - ALOT. I've been killed by the same person multiple times, by the same NPC multiple times, by multiple people - multiple times.

I spend more time with negative XP then I do with positive XP. At first it made me feel like I couldn't progress, that the differences between vets and newbies was so large that it was impossible to improve.

Sometimes I still feel that way, but as I continue to play, I started to pick up on small things here and there.

What really helped me stick with the game is vets providing helpful information and tips - where to go to get gear, how to avoid getting killed, what to do when fighting, etc. Especially after destroying me in a PK situation.

As a newbie, I like to know there is something I could have done better, rather than feel like I had no chance. It means I can improve.

I do wish that there was an easier way for new players like myself to learn the game faster or get more feedback from the game. For example, I'm playing a necro to get more exposed to PK. I've tried sleeping other players and sometimes it will land and sometimes it won't.

It isn't really clear why the spell works or it doesn't - is it because my enemy is resistant to sleep? Is it because they have higher int? Or maybe my spell is just failing? Or maybe the spell is supposed to fail 50% of the time? Or maybe my enemy was just in a fight? That's a ton of guesswork that I don't really have a clear way of figuring out.

I wish the game would help guide me more. I'm going to die anyways, but I'd like to know why I died so I can modify my playing in the future.

Player mentors would be awesome. If I could see how a player plays my particular class, it would be extremely helpful. Right now, most of my interaction with other players is usually grouped into three things: roleplay, killing npcs, getting killed in PK. It's hard to learn the PK side of things (which seems like a very important part of CF).

All that said, this game is amazing.

The staff has done a great job creating a world that is worth enjoying and spending time in. The players make it dynamic and extremely challenging.

Cheers to everyone.