Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRE: Locked Threads
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=34649&mesg_id=34676
34676, RE: Locked Threads
Posted by Malakhi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>If there's one thing that will kill a game faster than any
>other, it's a crappy staff. And maybe you guys are wonderful
>coders, roleplayers, and rules enforcers, but you're goddamn
>awful at handling playerbase drama, and that's a cancer you
>have to control if you want a playable game a year or two from
>now.

That is an extremely vague and ambiguous statement, and not very helpful. What is your alternative for "handling playerbase drama"?

My understanding from reading a few of these responses is that some players want the official forum equivalent of a public court of law. Where IMMs create something like a dedicated forum for players to bring their complaints about punishments, and the IMMs are compelled to respond with logs and arguments. And then presumably the rest of the playerbase gets to weigh in like a jury of peers. That is incredibly onerous and will never happen. I am a litigator in real life, and it is the most stressful and time consuming job I have ever held - and there is no way in Hell I would subject myself to that kind of stress unless I got paid well for it. I think it's *extremely* unreasonable and lacks perspective to expect CF IMMs to have to spend their time and energy like that - it would mean no more CF IMMs.

I'm assuming you don't like my favorite alternatives, which would be to simply ban the malcontents who aren't even players anymore and hope the playerbase mods would moderate these types, as well. And personally, although I have an aversion to the melodrama, I can understand it when it's coming from players - the posts that really irk me are the ones from non-players who, driven by motivations I don't entirely understand, just try to stoke the flames of aggression. What do you do with non-constructive, abrasive/negative comments from people who don't even play the game?

So what's your reasonable alternative to locking threads.