Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectSolomon: Post removed:
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=215&mesg_id=218
218, Solomon: Post removed:
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Please don't mention other MUDs, for good or for ill, in a way that can be construed as an advertisement or flame. It's a line we don't want to go near.

As for your point: Yes, we don't implement features just because they work for a different MUD. If I had to pick a short list of reasons why I enjoy CF so much, that would be near the top, personally. Derivative MUDs tend to nosedive- if the features are available somewhere else, and all you're doing is copying instead of innovating, there's little reason to play your MUD- just play the original. It's probably been around longer and had more time to achieve proper balance and a good playerbase.

Copying is faster, but it isn't better.

Also, as a consequence of us doing this for a long time- we are unique, and the things that may be good for other MUDs may not be good for us. Personally, anything remotely resembling what was posted sets off my tingly game balance sense. We don't want a HuggyMUD where all the players hit each other with padded pillows, and no one dies or loses CON or gets their feelings hurt. If we move towards a non-lethal option like this, it'll be very gingerly, and in a limited way. I like the concept, (and we've discussed various ways to do this previously amongst ourselves) but it's difficult to do correctly, and what was posted can be abused in various ways.

To Vulpis: If the idea you've posted is, indeed, lifted detail-by-detail from somewhere else, please don't do that. It's one thing to present a general concept you like, but if the specifics of the above are taken from elsewhere.... we don't want a reputation as scavengers.