Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectMuscle Memory
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=15806&mesg_id=15821
15821, Muscle Memory
Posted by Chuntog on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you've played sports all your life, you probably realize that there seems to be varying types of muscle memory. There's the overall muscle memory which allows you to do pretty much what you've done before. And then there's the muscle memory you have when you do something to perfection, or close to it. There's a reason why every golf ball hit by a pro isn't perfect... muscle memory isn't perfect either. But if you stroke a few beautiful shots in a row in basketball, let's say. You get a certain feeling... wow, that's exactly how it should be. That doesn't mean it will last forever, or you'll hit every shot, it just means your mind knows that you're doing things absolutely correct, even if the results aren't always positive.

I'd agree that such things as 'clutch' hitters are highly overrated, and would agree that it's mere percentage points difference. I more believe in streaks, most of which I again attribute to muscle memory. Your mind is telling your body exactly how that last shot/hit was done, and you're copying it. But, of course, muscle memory falls apart at times, then comes a slump, where you forget what it was you were doing right, and have to relearn.

This is, to me, a better explanation of what the 'hot hand' is. It's purely physical, with psychology playing a very, very minor role.

Just my opinion, I have no stats to back it up, except a lifetime of playing sports.