Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectRE: We were each addressing two sides of the same issue
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=90&mesg_id=123
123, RE: We were each addressing two sides of the same issue
Posted by Quislet on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> We're working on making races and racial languages a little more
>defined, as well. I suggest you stay tuned for developments.

I'm very glad for the new speech help files, and pleased that so far they've exceeded my expectations in that the examples largely match the better roleplayed examples of each race over the years.

Before the arial speech help file is finalized, I have one request: Please, please, please, please, please do not make chirping a common speech style for them. Maybe mention it as something akin to an accent some of them have, but please keep it to less than half the population. Even if I weren't playing any arials any more, too much chirping just plain gets annoying. Extremely. One or two well known chirpy speakers at a time is plenty, and adds all the chirpy flavor the race would ever need. Other common speech traits I've seen in arials over the years include run on sentences, or the reverse in many short sentences one after another. Both indicate the tendency I've seen from many arials to ramble and not shut up.

Personally, I like the slightly superior sounding attitude with unreasonably 'big words', while being in personality rather friendly and personable. It seems to show the awkwardness arials have in other cultures that think differently than they do. Unfortunately, except for me, I haven't seen this much at all for a very long time.