Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectMy 2 week experience on your MUD
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3907
3907, My 2 week experience on your MUD
Posted by One of your new players on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Great MUD with tons of assholes. I was repeatedly killed for no reason as human, looted all my gear etc. Didn't matter if I had 3 or 4 pieces of equipment I was killed, and at one point by the same player 3-4 times in a row. I never said I word to the player I guess he could tell I was new.

So I swap to an assassin to try that out, people still hunt me but just out of the sport of pk... and at this time I am fully aware of what to look for and how to survive, etc., etc.

The icing on the cake was today when I died and awaited my equipment to come to the donation pit. A player see me waiting there so logs a level 4 and loots it for himself.

I'm sure none cares, but I will not be back. One day this mud will be in the situation the others are in if this continues. It's hard to get new players with xbox and WoW brainwashing kids at the age of 8. Hopefully this helps.
3921, Advice for new players
Posted by -flso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I see a lot of new players on recently and a lot of them are playing
extremely tough (for the new player) combos like anti-paladins
and orcs. Think i spotted a necro too.

I had to guide some of them to resources like qhcf and the wiki
(in an OOC way through tells) because it was obvious they wouldn't
last long and were doing things wrong.

So here are some bits of advice (again):

+ Play good-aligned, maybe neutral if you don't like good-aligned.
DO NOT PLAY EVIL
DO NOT PLAY EVIL

Also, make it obvious that you're good-aligned. Ideally by playing
an obvious race.

+ Try and join Fortress, if not, at the very least ask for help and guidance
from obviously good-aligned chars (esp Paladins). Make it known
ICly that "you are new to the realm". You need to make IC friends
to speed up the process of learning and playing good-aligned is the best way
of doing that. Do *not* be shy about asking others for help.

+ Signup at www.qhcf.net and start reading the wiki, especially the FAQs and
the maps. Your goal should be to learn as much as possible about
geography and survival basics first, then class-specific information and
tactics.

+ Play a hiding class, ideally assassin

+ Your first chars *will* suck PK-wise. This should *not* bother you.
Learn to enjoy dying. Your state of mind for the first 200-500 hours
should be one of absorbing information about the MUD, not killing
anything that moves.

+ This is a highly competitive MUD with a lot of details and intricate mechanics.
You may be a MUD veteran, maybe been a PK machine in your previous MUD,
all of that is irrelevant here. You need to obtain knowledge that
only comes from personal experience. It will take some time but you will get there
and the reward is worth it.

3909, RE: My 2 week experience on your MUD
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Great MUD with tons of assholes.

Tons, no. Some, yes. Though I would expect that wherever you end up.

>I was repeatedly killed for
>no reason as human, looted all my gear etc. Didn't matter if
>I had 3 or 4 pieces of equipment I was killed, and at one
>point by the same player 3-4 times in a row. I never said I
>word to the player I guess he could tell I was new.

Across all three of your characters you died 7 times to other players. Only one player killed you twice (not 3-4 times in a row).

>The icing on the cake was today when I died and awaited my
>equipment to come to the donation pit. A player see me
>waiting there so logs a level 4 and loots it for himself.

That's a rookie mistake, one I've seen many people make and learn quickly from. You don't stand at your pit waiting as a ghost. Everyone knows you are a ghost and then assumes you're waiting for something to come back.

>I'm sure none cares, but I will not be back.

Then you probably won't read my reply.
3911, I thoroughly appreciated this post. nt
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
3912, Don't give up buddy
Posted by Grippledank_1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I feel like I might be the person you thought was multi-killing you. I realized pretty quick you were a noob and actually I was going after your groupmates not you after the first time you died.

If you give CF another shot my recomendation would be when people want you to power rank with them to tell them no. You seemed to have the basics you just need to learn the politics and maps better and the best time to do that is in the lower ranks (where there are fewer established players trying to kill you). I saw a lot of people from different cabals trying to help you out and I would have been right there with them giving you a hand, if you were not a natural enemy of mine.

You caught a lot of breaks because people realized you were newish but this is a high end PK/RP mud where most of the people have been around a decade or longer so the learning curve to become competative is fairly steep. Pretty much the only thing that is hunted by nobody would be a neutral healer or bard in herald if that is your issue and you want to come back I would recomend giving one of those a try.
3917, 2 cents.
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not disagreeing with anything in your post relating to THAT guy...

For real newbies the wait at pit, looters get your stuff before
you do bit can't be expected to be known. If it happens then
the average person having no knowledge of cf or maybe even muds
in general would likely assume douchebaggery and maybe a one off
instead of 'Hey this is how it works'. Maybe more like a fantasy
world version of 'Dude you know not to wear red walking down THAT
street!'. Heh.

As a side note I STILL sometimes sit at my pit and wait.
Then again I die... ALOT!
:)
3918, RE: 2 cents.
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> Maybe more like a fantasy world version of 'Dude you know not to wear red walking down THAT street!'. Heh.

Do you care to explain where the real world version comes from? What's bad about wearing red at the street you are referring to?

And what comes to pit looting, how often are you likely to check the pit in an empty town? It was kind of intuitive to me not to wait at the pit. You make the pit checks quickly and discreetly so that others don't notice that you are waiting for gear.
3919, RE: 2 cents.
Posted by TheDude on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>> Maybe more like a fantasy world version of 'Dude you know
>not to wear red walking down THAT street!'. Heh.

He's referring to colors associated with gangs. There are places, at least in America, where as retarded as it is, you can get shot if you where a red hat in a neighbourhood controlled by the guys who wear blue hats. (You can look up crips vs. bloods). I think his point is, is that if you were from out of town, you wouldn't necessarily know where these streets are, wondering, "why is everyone here wearing blue.. hey.. *BOOM*!". (But really, if you or I were walking down that street wearing any color the same thing would probably happen).
3920, RE: red
Posted by Quixotic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Different gangs often display their membership with wearing different colors, and wearing the wrong color for a particular neighborhood would invite opposing gangs to take you down. (see also Bloods & the Crips)
3928, RE: 2 cents.
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What they said but the point was sometimes what YOU think is
intuitive really isn't to someone else.

3937, RE: 2 cents.
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I tend to just wait a few minutes and then start spamming 'g all pit'
3908, Why anonymous?
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That experience sounds like it sucks. I haven't been full looted in years, so it's odd that it happened so much to you. Sorry to see if you go. Dying and multikilling is a part of tough muds like ours. It's rough, but you have to stick it out if you like the mud until you figure it out. One thing you could do is find a natural enemy of the person that is multi killing you and let them know "Hey Mr. paladin, so-and-so orc keeps killing me before I can leave the temple!" Then the character can be dealt with, no doubt via full-loot/sac.

The guy logging in a lowbie to loot your pit? Are you certain he switched chars to do it? That would be against the rules and something you could report to the immortals. They will be able to tell if it is what happened. You likely won't get your stuff back, but the transgressor will be dealt with.

Curious why you felt the need to post anonymously though? You are new and never coming back so hard to see why your reputation matters.
3915, Perhaps
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
he wanted to choose an appropriate handle rather than either (a) register for one or (b) use one that didn't convey meaning so well.

Also, I think people should go easier on newbs. But hey, some people are just assholes with no empathy. Let's call that rp.
3916, What
You read Zulgh's post right? You see that the guy is not only too weak for CF, but a liar to boot? He can go play another game, thanks.
3922, Another interpretation
Too weak = Having a hard time as a newbie and not enjoying it.

Which isn't the same as too weak long term.

Liar... well, that's pretty normal for newbs that are upset (and vets too for that matter).

Does this invalidate my point? That being a #### to newbs makes them leave? Just so people can feel "big"?

Ultimately today's whining newb is tomorrows decent vet, in some cases. But I can't recall many cases of an asshole changing the way they play. Fact is, many people are put off staying around to learn to compete because sad vets are using them to pad their pk count.
3923, Disagree again
"Too weak = Having a hard time as a newbie and not enjoying it."

No, what I meant by "too weak" is the inability to see through the tears. The emotional take over that apparently precludes him from counting. Too weak in terms of will power to accept that you don't start off as top dog and see how fun the game is even while getting beat down.

"Liar... well, that's pretty normal for newbs that are upset (and vets too for that matter)."

Just because vets do it doesn't make it ok. They should be ashamed of their selves too.

"Does this invalidate my point? That being a #### to newbs makes them leave? Just so people can feel "big"?"

Nope. Sure doesn't. However, no one is being a #### to him just to feel big, so your point doesn't apply. They killed an enemy once, except in only one case twice. That's what happens in carrion fields. You kill your enemies. Not going to curb that so we can get newbies. That's dumb and dishonest to them.

"Ultimately today's whining newb is tomorrows decent vet, in some cases. But I can't recall many cases of an asshole changing the way they play. Fact is, many people are put off staying around to learn to compete because sad vets are using them to pad their pk count."

We have enough whiny newbs turned whiny vets. I want more RobDarkens and LegoBelts. The ones that seem to do just fine without throwing a tantrum every time they lose like Jerrokrar and Funnyone do. As for people put off because sad vets are using them to pad their pk count? Maybe some leave because of that. Probably the ones I don't care to have playing here. The ones that will whine over every lose, or every time they think someone is cheating. Now, had you said:

"Fact is, many people are put off staying around to learn to compete"

That would be a different story. I'm certain the learning curve is hard for many to overcome. The added part about sad vets and pk counts? ####, it's Carrion Fields. Changing that is changing the game. There are plenty of MUDs around that cater to that attitude, so we don't need to change ours to fit that model.

3925, RE: Disagree again

>That would be a different story. I'm certain the learning
>curve is hard for many to overcome. The added part about sad
>vets and pk counts? ####, it's Carrion Fields. Changing that
>is changing the game. There are plenty of MUDs around that
>cater to that attitude, so we don't need to change ours to fit
>that model.
>
And this is part of the problem. If we want more people to stay and learn to play our mud, we need to give them more breathing room while they do it.

Killing them is fine, but a big loot for the sake of it, or killing them back to back... not so fine. Hell, why kill them again if you've already determined that they can't fine their way out of FoN even when they can see.
3929, What? But we agree...
Part of what problem? The guy was killed, not killed back to back. No idea how much he was looted, but given that he already lied about number of deaths why should I believe him about the looting? Especially considering the rarity with which I get looted, let alone "full looted." Multi-killing is lame whether it is a newbie or a vet. Multi-killing didn't happen here, so not sure why you seem to be hung up on that.

I do disagree that we need to give them "more breathing room." Handling them with kids' gloves isn't the answer. It will just pussify them the way over protective parents pussify their kids these days. Now, if you just mean "we shouldn't mult-kill them and/or full loot them," then I agree. That's a given though, considering we shouldn't be multi-killing/full looting ANYONE. Not just the newbs. Oh wait, the majority already don't do that.

I'm not arguing just to argue either. I will always take the side against the pussification of Carrion Fields. Even if it means I'm left with just me and Scarabaeus. I'll just PK him all day.
3938, RE: What? But we agree...
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>That's a given
>though, considering we shouldn't be multi-killing/full looting
>ANYONE. Not just the newbs. Oh wait, the majority already
>don't do that.

Then why isn't it against the rules?

The rules from my old mud:

Multikilling was forbidden. This means if you kill someone you can't kill them again for another 24 hours without them giving you a seperate instance of an IC reason to do so (in fact you needed an IC reason for the first kill, 'because I'm evil' being perfectly acceptable). Example; Sylvan kills an evil guy grinding goodie mobs in the forest, Evil guy goes back to the forest to grind more mobs, the 2nd kill is legal. Necromancer kills an elf because he's an elf, he can't kill the elf a 2nd time that day simply for being an elf, but if the elf tells him that he's an abomination that needs to be cleansed from the earth, the 2nd kill is legal. There was also a multikiller toggle such that a multikiller could multikill another multikiller with impunity, and nearly everyone did it because you got a cool black PK sign and looked like a badass on who. The only practical instance in which multikilling was illegal was if the dead guy didn't whine and was just sitting around trying to buy pies.

Full looting was discouraged. As simply as being unable to 'g all corpse' from player corpses other than your own. Technically not an infraction if you grabbed every item one by one, but made it a pain in the ass to do, and not likely to happen after dying from an assassinate in your home town (though you were still gonna lose your shinies).

I have done a full loot here, mostly because the guy multikilled me (according to the above definition). If you let people fight dirty, then they will and to be on an even footing everyone else has to fight dirty. Most players here aren't assholes at all and sometimes even leave me my coins but it's the assholes who stick out and have the greatest individual impact on your experience.