Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectStoneshatter practice
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3446
3446, Stoneshatter practice
Posted by New Invoker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I know in the past it was possible to practice stoneshatter on mobs that were unaffected by it.

Is that still the case, or has something changed? Through multiple hours of practicing in a variety of locations and over the span of several levels, I've yet to get a single improve in the spell apart from level gains.

If it's changed and it needs to have an affect on mobs now, I get it.. I'd just like to know one way or the other. But if RNG just truly truly hates me, I guess I'll keep plugging along.

Thanks.
3452, RE: Stoneshatter practice
Posted by Kursh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What Daevryn said can't be emphasized enough. I've spent literally 20 hours trying a spell with perhaps one improvement, but on a much higher level mob it took me perhaps 60 minutes to move it 15%. At hero levels, against the right mob, a lagging affinity improves even faster.

3449, RE: Stoneshatter practice
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
As far as I know from my last invoker, you can cast it on anything.

The better question is, how tough is what you're casting on? If the answer is "much weaker" you're not going to learn any spell very fast.
3450, I get that..
Posted by The Invoker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But I haven't gotten a single increase from casting the spell. Not one. And I've spent several hours on that spell alone. It seems like something odd is going on.

I'm willing to accept if it's RNG.. but it seems a little unlikely after spending a few days trying for hours at a time with no results. Especially when I've switched over to other spells (grease, for example) with lower affinity and didn't have any major issues, on the same mobs.

When you have the time, could you check and make sure everything's working ok?

Either way, thanks for the help.
3451, Ok..
Posted by The Invoker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I just hit my first stoneshatter improvement. So I guess it's possible, after all.

I guess the RNG just really, truly hates me.

Such is life.
3457, It is the rng
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I travelled with a voker who was spamming it on non-stone mobs as we ranked (since we didn't need him to be doing damage and we weren't in a rush to rank), and he was improving, apparently.
3447, A HINT
Posted by Abernyte on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am no invoker master by any means and have NEVER played one myself in all my 17 years on CF but there are mobs who are made of stone/clay/granite who will be hurt by the stoneshatter and may be an excellent way to practice that spell. The magical area in question provides everything you need to do it. Just need to find it.

3448, I appreciate it, but..
Posted by New Invoker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I know about that area. I've actually been using it alot recently as well, but with the same results.

At this point, I'm starting to think stoneshatter is broken. I've seriously spammed the spell for probably 6 or 7 hours non-stop over the last few days and have seen exactly zero improvements.

I've seen improvements in other spells that I'm using at the time (detect invis, etc), parry and weapon skills. I've had no such issues with any other spells thus far.

My affinity is 6, so I really can't imagine what the issue would be.