Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectCuriosity about immortal interaction
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2851
2851, Curiosity about immortal interaction
Posted by Rade on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Do immortals ever interact with mortals in "normal" PC ways? For example, do any imms ever gather a group to go dragon killing or exploring? I've personally never seen it and was wondering if it was against immortaldom rules or something.
2908, I ranked with Pico in Chessmasters
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It was unproductive, since unsurprisingly he wasn't in my pk and his unspeaks always finished the pawns off, but it was amusing at the same time.
2860, RE: Curiosity about immortal interaction
Posted by Neltouda on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have done something similar to this a few times. True, this isn't something imms usually do... what would be the RP reason behind it? Usually I'll go visit with an already formed group in an area explore. Before anyone protests, no secrets, gear etc is are exchanged while I'm doing this type of interaction. It's more like increasing the morale for the group/teaching lessons about leading a group. I think as far as it being against the rules... it wouldn't be very fair for a very buffed immortal to go and kill all the dragons so the group they gathered can have pretty things to wear.
2867, That's great
Posted by MoetEtChandon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I probably was at the receiving end of such.

A side question: Are you active again? I should come make the ship unsafe once more, one day :)
2868, RE: That's great
Posted by Neltouda on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am active again. Wizlist was updated yesterday or the day before.
2874, Cool nt
Posted by MoetEtChandon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
2854, Probably not.
Posted by thendrell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I do not believe so, but you have to realize an IMM is not like other characters in terms of their stats, in addition to their skills/spells/powers. I imagine most are so generally juiced that nothing in the game would provide much of a challenge, and they are that way to prevent them from being killed or messed with by mortals. (I believe an a-p once cleaved an Imm for example)

Would it be fun to be in a group with an Immortal, sure, but when you realize they are gods and so can just slay pretty much anything in the game it would make it kind of pointless. I think when Imms want to interact in normal ways, they just play a mort.

That said, I have seen imms just follow mortals around and mess with them and interact, but I generally don't see them killing things, the limited exception maybe when they are interacting and something unexpected comes up. Then they might intervene, like say by killing a nightgaunt, but I would not count on them leading groups to slay Satan or Tiamat or anything.
2853, RE: Curiosity about immortal interaction
Posted by Nnaeshuk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This isn't something that Immortals do. Sure, we'll think of crazy quests or fun little things to do, but usually, we try to interact with mortals and have them gather groups to go off and do this kind of stuff. A dragon isn't really much of a match for someone that can't die :P

Nae-nae
2855, RE: Curiosity about immortal interaction
Posted by Rade on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I dunno, I can think of plenty of IC reasons to do something like this. Say you want to reward someone with a shiny thing but not necessarily a unique thing like a leader item. You could just magic one up or you could do a "Come with me." and the two of you go kill the mob that holds it together. "You have been whooping ass and I grant you this whoopass weapon as a reward." or whatever... Seems cooler to see you slay a big beast to give me what they have.
2861, My experience with Imm quests.
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have mob died in every one except Two. Because invariably they cater to Veteran Hero's and not low end character or Newbies.

In one of those I didn't get the same exp as others did.

In another I just flat out didn't win so cest la vi.
2862, Disagree
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think that IMM Quests can run the gamut from "Vet-Only" to "Newbie Friendly."

I was part of the Reawaken Thror Quest, which had veteran Villagers dragging me willy-nilly to areas I'd never even heard of to take part in all sorts of stuff that was waaaay above my head. I'm pretty sure that the entire Village mob died a few times on that one, but that's an extended, cabal-specific quest.

Another time Borkahd dropped a bunch of skulls all over Thera and there was a mad skull-hunt that everyone took part in. You didn't have to be a vet to enjoy that one. I think a level 20 Druid Tribunal app won that one.

There's was a similar thing with pumpkins recently, too, I think. Just a MUD wide scavenger hunt, get lucky and win.

In between are things like the marble quest. That was madness, and clearly high-end PK characters would have an advantage, but high-end characters will always have an advantage. There's no way to make a quest that will put a guy on his second log-in on the same playing field with Twist. But that doesn't mean that the guy who's on his third character (first one over level 30) can't have a good time with some of the IMM Quests.

2863, Don't say no way.
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had an Imm interact with a character years ago as the Explorer in Galadon he was getting a group of younger characters together for something. I was too new to follow what was happening now.

Patron Imms could make individual quests along the lines of a role early in a characters life.

To me the Imms seem more like "Ad-mimms" rather than Dungeon Masters.

I think More of the latter would be a huge plus.