Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectRE: Feel free to ask more questions though if you want ...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2547&mesg_id=2554
2554, RE: Feel free to ask more questions though if you want ...
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Okay, I am thinking Assassin or necromancer. I am leaning
>towards Assassin, but I am not sure if that is available to
>newbies or what path I would take to get it if not.

For a newer player I generally would recommend assassin over necromancer. Necromancer can be very good, but in a lot of ways it's kind of an "all offense, no defense" class, and while it potentially has a lot of deadliness in PK, my observation has been that newer players overwhelmingly end up on the "someone attacked me and I died almost instantly" side of playing a necromancer.

An assassin is a much more balanced and self-sufficient character overall; additionally, the ability to hide is a big boon in being able to pick and choose your fights. Only a very small subset of characters can detect hidden characters, and you'll always have a pretty good idea of which can and which cannot.

>What races are possible with these two and any classes that
>may have to come first. (if thief is needed before assassin,
>that's cool. I love theft. I am actually curious if player
>theft is possible.)

Thief and assassin are separate classes, and while they're the two classes that have hide* and can detect hidden, they play decently differently. That being said, you can steal from other players in your PK range.

*I'm intentionally ignoring orc berserkers for this comment because while they can hide, they play much less like a stealth class in many ways.