Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectRangers and pk.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2419
2419, Rangers and pk.
Posted by ilanthas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Greetings everyone,
Does anyone have some tips for a Ranger in pk? When looking at Rangers abilities they seem to be pretty weak compared to the other classes. Warriors get legacy's as well as being able to specialize in two different weapon types. Rangers on the otherhand dont really seem to have much that can help.
Thanks in advance,
Ilanthas
2420, RE: Rangers and pk.
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sure.

Different options will present themselves based on what level you are, what race you are, what expertise you are, and what terrain you are. I'm going to sketch out some points that apply to most rangers in broad terms:

1) You are a stealth class. Almost no one can see you when you're camouflaged. This means two things: first, that almost no one should get the drop on you, and second, that you should surprise most of the people you fight. It's a little more complicated than this, but as a rule of thumb, assume you can surprise anyone who isn't a wood elf or a ranger if you creep up on them.

This gives you a lot of power to pick fights you think you can win and avoid fights where you're pretty sure you can't win. It also lets you size opponents up before attacking them, looking at their armor, the kind of damage they're doing, etc.

2) Ambush does a ton of damage. As you level, you also get different tactical options that can be applied to it at the cost of missing more and doing less damage, but in its basic form, ambush is either the clearly the most damaging single attack in the game or arguably the most damaging single attack in the game depending on how you're counting. As a rule of thumb, if you manage to ambush someone in your PK range twice in relatively quick succession and they survive, you're doing something wrong.

You've got a lot of potential to creep up on a group killing trolls or elves or whatever, figure out what your best target is, and get them dead or running with an ambush.

3) Entangle is a pretty great spell. Among other things, it halves the movement points of the person you cast it on. Cast it again and it'll take half of what they have left, and so on.

4) Pathfinding essentially means that you move around faster than anyone who doesn't have it (or the Outlander cabal ability Windwalk). This gives you a big advantage in catching people who try to run from you on foot as well as a big advantage in escaping from people the same way. It also means you almost can't run out of movement, an advantage your enemies don't share.

5) You've got a good mix of weapon skills; it's not hard in most cases to attack with weapons your enemy doesn't learn how to fight with.

6) Herbs lets you recover a chunk of HP fast and get back in a fight.
2421, Shhhhh
Posted by Dwoggurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't tell him about bearcharge and snare }(
2422, While that's all well and good...
Posted by Shadow1ife on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I feel as if rangers really do lack any maladicting potential (and I'm not even suggesting a lot here...)

Comparing them to a warrior is fairly unfair, but even compared to other classes: paladins both shield and two-handed, invokers, necromancers (duh of course), thieves, assassins, bards, druids...

And today's CF caters very well to high dexy races. It's not uncommon to watch an arial, elf, or dark-elf out dodge a ranger and then as soon as they start laying on the maladictions the ranger goes down.

Now, unless ambush cripple has more potency (I haven't tested it out much just yet with another willing gunea pig), then ranger's don't get much in the maladict department outside of hunters. Otherwise, please enlighten me cause I could always be missing something obvious...
2423, RE: While that's all well and good...
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
No, they don't have a lot of malediction power. In the vbase skillset, you're perhaps missing entangle, backrake, and the use of scrolls/talismans. It's really not their strong point.

What you're saying is valid to a point in a fairly narrow band of levels, say 25-35 maybe. Before that no one has a lot of malediction power, and after it most rangers who die to a dexy character are vastly outskilled by their competition.