Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectI have a Question about pk
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2404
2404, I have a Question about pk
Posted by ilanthas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Greetings all,
I have a question about pk. First off, I was playing an Elven ranger/hunter. I was level 17. I had some very good eq. I had a red plumed helm, two sandy desert cloaks, skin of the snow leppord, fur lined gloves and boots, mithril leggings, dusk horn bracers, a mithril band, and was wielding a well crafted yew spear.
Question one: My to hit was 10 and my dam roll was 7. I could not even hit the people that attacked me. The only damage I did was with a dirt kick. How in the world can I compete when I cant even hit the people who are attacking me?
Thanks,
Ilanthas
2407, RE: I have a Question about pk
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, thats crappy gear. You certainly could use (and get) something better. The link was given to you, also you can ask people IC.

As for any questions about PK the best way to get the right answer is to post the log of PK. Either here or on Dios or on both forums. And ask your questions.
2406, RE: I have a Question about pk
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Probably, your hit roll has nothing to do with why you aren't hitting people.

If you're swinging at them and you see something like:

Your slash misses Dude.

Then yes, that's hitroll. (Or the skill is failing, in the case of something like kick.)

More likely you're seeing stuff like this:

Dude parries your slash.
Dude dodges your slash.

which does not involve hitroll.

Now, what can you do about this? Here are some basic ideas:

- Some skills can't be parried or dodged. Ambush is the most important example of this for a ranger.

- Generally, people without weapons can't parry. Disarm your opponent or try to lower their strength.

- Generally, people with poor dex stats or who are carrying too much weight can't dodge very well. Try to lower your opponent's dex or strength.
2408, Addendum
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I can't think of very many things I'd have LESS success with at level 17 than elf ranger. Here's why:

1. Terrible HP. Worst of any class that can take ranger, possibly excepting arial.
2. Terrible STR stat. You won't hit nearly as hard, with the same eq, as even a human, let alone a giant.
3. You just got enhanced damage at level 13, so it probably isn't perfected. So you're essentially hitting as hard as a mage/healer would, with the same eq, whenever enhanced damage doesn't "fire". Bleh.
4. No dual wield yet. Yes you were wielding a (weak, weak) spear, so this isn't as important, but if you want to hit someone (and aren't worried about defense as much), dual wielding is the way to go. More attacks.

There's reasons that a level 17 elf ranger is good, however. Avoidance of enemies, pretty darn good at leveling in forests, learn skills very fast, etc. etc. It's just that "PKing people" is about the bottom of the list of reasons elf ranger is good, at low levels.
2405, RE: I have a Question about pk
Posted by Asthiss on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hi,

Glad to have you here at CF hope you will enjoy yourself. About the gear and hit/dam. 10/7 sounds verry low. I think even with the fine leather gear or the outfit gear you get from your guild when your a ghost should give you more then that.

There is a verry good Wiki for CF that I used alot when I started and it hold a good page about getting good gear to start with. http://diku.qhcf.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RankingEquipmentEvil

I'm sure there are better gear to get out there at that level but all of the gear on that list is unlimited and should always be in.

Hope I helped in some way.

See you in the fields.