Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectRE: Roleplay PK
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1444&mesg_id=1519
1519, RE: Roleplay PK
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That response totally ignores the rest of my post, which includes not allowing where. By doing that you make hunting by virtue of walking into an area, checking where, leaving, going to the next area, a lot harder. It would also allow for tons of skills/spells based around tracking and character location.

You'd need them, because otherwise you'd never, ever find anyone who didn't want to be found. Or was lost. And at the end of the day, you've made characters learn a bunch of skills just to be competent at finding other people, which is where you started. You could make some characters (thieves, assassins, rangers, etc.) better than others at it, but now you've gone and severely altered class balance, because those abilities are huge for aggressive types in the face of IC obfuscation.

While it would be realistic if we removed tell, where, knowing who other adventurers are, and related conveniences, we're not interested in running a simulation. We're interested in running a game, and I think the suggestions you are making don't help us from that perspective. Just finding one or two companions in a world the size of ours could take hours.

In practice, I think these things tend to decrease actual roleplay (at least in quantity), and encourage small cliques that are very likely coordinated OOC to get around the IC hurdles you've erected. You could decide to hang out exclusively in centralized areas like Galadon in order to meet people, until you realize that the killers have thought of this too, and it's virtually the only place you'll be found with any regularity.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com