Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectDoes Save vs paralysis help in resisting Sleep spells?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1069
1069, Does Save vs paralysis help in resisting Sleep spells?
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Anyone?
1071, I'd attribute them to 'neurological(sp) disruption'... and the like...nt
Posted by Saith on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
1070, RE: Does Save vs paralysis help in resisting Sleep spells?
Posted by Kastellyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I caveat this with saying that I'm not a coder, and don't have access to the code, so I might be off a bit.

Based on my experience and general Imm knowledge, sleep spells are a straight up save vs. spell, and save vs. paralysis doesn't enter the equation.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends
1072, Well I'm trying to figure out why Sleep seems to have such a high rate of success.
Compared to other spells.
1073, Because it's overpowered. nt
Posted by Nivek1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
1075, It doesn't.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There's a number of ways to defend against it, many of which don't involve a saving throw.

If it's kicking your ass regularly, play a necromancer and try to kill people with it. Its weaker points will become evident rather quickly.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
1098, Are you possitive?
Here is my experience.

Sleep either gets me the first time or within' 3 flee;sleeps.

I took easily 10 of every other spell minimum before they took effect on me. And then it was often because of bad timmin'g on a fallen bless or some such.

Sleep hands down is the single most devastating spell in the game IMHO.
1099, To add.
I know ways of countering sleep, such as spamming a command waiting for the summon, or their arrival, and I use them, but if you have a moments lag on your end, a sleep WILL get you.
1100, Again:
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It might benefit you to play a necromancer and see the matchup from the other side. Necromancers haven't been especially prevalent or dominant, and it looks like plenty of people have found ways to defend themselves from them. They certainly have a number of weaknesses which are readily exploited. Until I start seeing something different, that suggests no change is needed.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
1101, taps 5 white mana and 4 black
Summon Nepenthe

When this card is played it will give vague answers to any question asked.

tap 2 blue

Cast Clarify Meaning.

This is an instant affect that cancels all vagery in game.

tap 1 red

Ask question.

How does one prevent or lessen' chances for successful sleep?

tap 1 red 1 green

Ask original question

Is sleep harder to resist than other spells?

#####################################################################

I have played A-P's and Necro's. Flee Sleep works extremely well, with or without the reduced effectiveness it's perported to have.

I don't like those classes in general, but my question was and is. How the hell do you resist sleep?

Things I've tried to do.

Spam waiting for summon/arrival
Sleep a couple hours before moving in on them.

Uber Saves vs Spell

Saves vs mental

Saves vs Paralysis

End result = Slept summoned to locked room Soaked left to rot or killed out right.
####################################################################

I;ve killed a number of them over the years, but f they are able to get a sleep off, and they seem very capable of it, that's the end more often than Not.
1102, RE: taps 5 white mana and 4 black
Posted by nepenthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>Ask original question
>
>Is sleep harder to resist than other spells?

It's never harder than another spell save from the same caster and often easier.

>Things I've tried to do.
>
>Spam waiting for summon/arrival

Helpful.

>Sleep a couple hours before moving in on them.

Not helpful. Possibly counter-productive depending on circumstances.

>Uber Saves vs Spell

This helps a lot.

>End result = Slept summoned to locked room Soaked left to rot
>or killed out right.

You probably should think twice about getting into a fight with a necromancer if you're in an area where this could happen. I'm not saying don't do it, but think about it.

>I;ve killed a number of them over the years, but f they are
>able to get a sleep off, and they seem very capable of it,
>that's the end more often than Not.

The single best defense against being beat by sleep like this is (no, not teleport potion, although that's and related goodies are also on the list) is having a competent ally aware of what's going on. If I sleep you and your buddy just words you or murders you to wake you up, I haven't really gotten anywhere.

Another strategy is to make sure every necromancer who attempts to sleep you either dies or damn near dies, or is unable to cast sleep again for whatever reason. I have a very hard time remembering a fight I've had with a sleep class in recent memory where I let them have multiple chances at sleeping me.
1103, Alrighty then.
We'll see what we see.

Thanks.
1105, To be honest
Posted by Kristof on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't generally fear necros, cause when I fall it's cause I failed/neglected to prepare properly, but I still feel sleep works to good. So I tried playing a necromancer, and getting one to the lower thirties (I know, not THAT impressive), I still feel that sleep works to well, even seen from the right side of the spell.
1074, What about other types of sleep...?
Posted by Saith on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Or skill induced spell effects?

Like poison thieves for example. They have a lot of skills that can produce spell-like effects, but is their still a save vs them or is there something else that comes into play?

Or, in short, is there only a save if it is listed as a spell in your affects list?