Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectI don't understand your definition of RP
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3049&mesg_id=3124
3124, I don't understand your definition of RP
Posted by -flso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
First of all, realism notwithstanding this is a game and some things have to be done to make it playable. It would be absurd (and pretty much impossible to do/enforce) for every new char to have to re-discover everything from scratch. How do you do that with combat tactics, geography etc

You keep mentioning PK 'lols' as if it's contrary to RP but all the examples i mentioned constitute perfectly valid EVIL roleplay. Evil kills, it could have a reason or not. I got betrayed and murdered because i chose to play a necro and group with evils. You got destroyed as an Orc because you _are_ evil, the whole mud is pretty much going to hunt you down, evils included because you are easy prey. I don't see this as bad RP, it's a dog eat dog world you either learn to swim or sink like a stone.

It is not hard to learn how not to die frequently. The first thing you do is bind _where_ to a key so that you don't have to type it in. Using it becomes second nature and you always have some idea of who is around especially if you can see hidden. The second thing you do is learn the geography. Pretty much all the vets can navigate the mud blind and know exactly where they are at. This is a tremendous advantage compared to someone new. So, you work on this with a couple of explore chars. Then, at some point, you try and fight a lot in order to learn tactics. You can do that either by playing lots of different classes (ideally all of them) or by fighting them. You need to know exactly what someone in a fight can do to you and what you can do to them. You will die a lot to skills you haven't seen before (and therefore don't know how to counter or plan for) that your opponent will spring on you suddenly when you least expect, sometimes when you think you have the upper hand. All of these are things that you will learn with time but you must make an effort.