Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectRE: This is damn good advice...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1539&mesg_id=1624
1624, RE: This is damn good advice...
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>what classes should I avoid at first? I don't mean because of
>empowerment issues. I'm fairly confident in my roleplaying
>abilities. I would think classes like necromancers or invokers
>would probably not be the best to start out on, but then, I don't
>really know. Are there classes or races I should avoid until
>I have a bit more experience? Thanks again.

I agree about empowerment. Some people are really into emotes, esays and all that jazz, but if you can write a role and stick to it especially when doing so puts you at a game-play disadvantage then you shouldn't shy away from empowerment characters. That said, empowerment is much more of a chore with some imms than with others. That's partly schedule related, but some are also more selective about who they empower, tattoo, etc.

If you plan on heroing then I would advise against any class with the "zap" skill unless you feel like testing your hand at the wand system. Note that I'm not saying you should categorically avoid these classes, but be aware that if you choose one, figuring out wands is something you're going to want to spend some time on.

If you play a combo that doesn't get detect invis, then you'll want to spend some time figuring out where to buy/bater side-effect-less detects, which means you'll also want to know how to generate gold (or find items to barter).

What Valg said about stealth classes is good advice, since it puts you in a better situation to fight on your own terms. On the flip side, stealth classes are not without their achilles heels, which you'll quickly discover if you choose to play one. Assassin or ranger would be a good choice, or maybe a thug thief. If you play the thief, you might consider trying to find some useful scrolls. There are a few that can greatly enhance a thief's deathfulness.

Paladin is another option. Especially if you feel like your role-play is up to snuff. With paladins, bear in mind that much of their strength comes from virtues, which are given out largely based on role-play. Playing a shield paladin won't teach you a ton about tactics, since their PK options are somewhat limited, but it would at least provide the opportunity for you to get accustomed to being in fights without spamming commands, learning when to flee, etc. Also they're pretty handy for exploring and ranking, and have identify so you can figure out what new gear does.