Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectRE: Where in lies your misconception of me.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=675&mesg_id=740
740, RE: Where in lies your misconception of me.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>You've loaded up on the assumption that because I am Pro
>American I am a Racist.

I think he considers you racist for other reasons entirely.

>My problem is assimilation. The Mexicans are not assimilating.

What is assimilation? Did the 19th century Swedes and Norweigans who immigrated to Minnesota assimilat? Then why do they still have their own church denominations, their own ethnic foods, their own holidays and customs? Even a unique accent and ethnic surnames? I'm guessing your criteria for assimilating is speaking English. That's reasonable. Did first-generation Swedish and Norweigan immigrants, living in communities of other Swedes and Norweigans, start speaking English as their everyday language? I'm guessing not. Their children probably did. Or their children's children. If we apply the same criteria to Mexican immigrants, they're really not doing that bad.

Another (obvious) fact is that a large percentage of Mexican immigrants aren't actually citizens. If the U.S. won't even let you be a legal, permanent resident, why should you bother to learn its language and customs? Give more people citizenship and they'll be alot more likely to assimilate.

>They come here demanding intruction and
>instructions in Spanish.

There's nothing magical about English that makes it the necessary "official language" of the United States. It's simpler to only print forms, signs, etc. in English, but that's just an argument from efficiency.

>I would go so far as to say this is the
>number one reason the Republicans lost the elections.

And you'd be wrong. They lost because people were upset about rampant spending related to the Iraq war, and generally associated Republicans with the DeLay and Abrahamof scandals. Also, imho the religious right felt (and not without some reason) like Bush gave them the colossal shaft after they did so much to get him elected.