Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectRE: Wherein I Godwin the thread.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=675&mesg_id=729
729, RE: Wherein I Godwin the thread.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The conspiracy theories are nuts, yeah, but it's possible to take the position that uncontrolled immigration (largely from Mexico) has a deliterious effect on the American economy without being a virulent racist.

That isn't what Pro has been purporting, however. He's specifically and repeatedly described the immigration as a political movement, sponsored by the Mexican government, designed to lead to the secession of the Southwest. There's zero data for it, but the white supramecist movement (Stormfront, White Nationalist, Council of Conservative Citizens, National Alliance, etc.) in the U.S. uses it heavily to fearmonger.

The Aztlan stuff gets its "legs", so to speak, from statements made by nutjobs on the opposite side of the spectrum, who actually do think the U.S. should give the southwestern territories back to Mexico. Those guys just aren't representative of immigrants as a whole.

But it doesn't have "legs". Who is advocating this now? A couple of college students?

You're right that the immigration issue is complex, and the current system has flaws. (I happen to be in favor of essentially legalizing the majority of workers, and view immigration as a largely positive force, but there are pros and cons to my position.) But that's a very different discussion from what Pro is pushing (and is in line with Pro's previous comments on black Americans, Latino culture and its influence in the US, etc.), and I think it's dangerous to ignore the elephant in the room and pretend he's fanatical about it because of economic reasons.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com