Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectHELP! I came back to CF and keep getting booted!
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=1498
1498, HELP! I came back to CF and keep getting booted!
Posted by TFON on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

I am not sure what the issue is, my internet connection is more than solid, blazing fast in fact... however, we do have two dynamic IP addresses (standard issue from our ISP)... should I get those changed to static? Aggravating to sink the beautiful needle into my arm once more and have my lowbie sit linkdead while I could be writing new role chapters or getting my traditional pre-PK mobdeath!

Any help/thoughts are appreciated!

The Faithful of Nazmorghul

......HA!
1515, RE: HELP! I came back to CF and keep getting booted!
Posted by Lyeden on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hmm. Could be a bunch of things. So, you can get into the game, but you get kicked off...is the time this takes usually consistent? Also, do you run any programs that are constantly connected--Trillian, IRC, etc? If so, do they also need to reconnect when this happens?

As for IPs, if the DHCP renew isn't going through and your ip changes, yes, that would do it. Would kill any open TCP connection, really. If that's the case, a static IP would be one way to fix it (Also, static IPs > dynamic if you ask me). OTOH if you're certain your connection is solid, this cannot be it. On a third hand, Speed doesn't necessarily mean stability.

To check on that, open up a cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /all" (assuming windows here, use "ifconfig" if you happen to use *nix). You should see a time at which the DHCP lease expires. Check on it now and then--If you get more than halfway from the time it was issued to the time it expires, there's a problem.

And lastly...If you have some sort of firewall that makes "smart" decisions without your input and is mostly out of sight...kill it.