Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectRE: What about drugs?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=952&mesg_id=965
965, RE: What about drugs?
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
My general opinion... not as bad, with the caveat that as far as I know, we don't currently have a truth serum per se, more stuff that works like a somewhat improved version of getting someone drunk -- you can get someone to talk and they're not at their most calculating, but they still might just make stuff up. So, good for getting information you can verify but maybe not, say, amassing evidence against someone for court.

I think this kind of thing or any unusual prisoner treatment probably should require a warrant similar to the way wiretaps are where they can even go ahead and do it but need to get the warrant approved in the next 72 hours or whatever. If you absolutely need to drug a guy to prevent a nuclear attack, no judge the next day is going to be like... no that wasn't okay. I just think that level of oversight and need to justify your choice to someone prevents dumb, embarrassing #### like Abu Ghraib without taking tools out of the government's hands when they're actually needed.