Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Sarek the Champion of Arms
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=99280
99280, (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Sarek the Champion of Arms
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon May 16 17:02:12 2011

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 19th of the Month of the Great Evil
on the Theran calendar Sarek perished, never to return.
Race:arial
Class:warrior
Level:45
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:81
99432, Thank you!
Posted by grateful newbie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is going to sound super mushy but I don't care. I came to this forum to do some research and did not expect to see this here.

Not sure if you can figure out who this is, but I wanted to say thank you for being an inspiration. As a hopeless sort of newbie who plays once every few years into the teen ranks and quits, your words of encouragement, your patience and your help during the handful of times we grouped were greatly appreciated.

My current character is the highest rank I've ever seen, by far. I've been to what I believe is an explore area based on conversations I've had since going there. For the first time ever, I have a list of characters that when I see are logged in, I smile. Instead of being faceless X, who gets a beat down, gets lost on Eastern Road and then autodeletes from apathy. This character has no real role to speak of other than learn but it's the most fun I've had with any character in the 10+ years of failed attempts to play. Mostly it was you(alongside a small handful of players) and your willingness to help me out, knowing full well I'm completely in over my head.

Good luck in your other characters.
99303, Live long and prosper.
Posted by Straklaw on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Couldn't resist.
99308, RE: Live long and prosper.
Posted by Sarek on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Eh? Isnt that a Spock quote or something from Star Trek?
99309, RE: Live long and prosper.
Posted by Elerosse on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Eh? Isnt that a Spock quote or something from Star Trek?

Sarek was Spock's father.
99310, RE: Live long and prosper.
Posted by Sarek on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sorry then, I came into my nerdom later on in life, never was much of a Star Trek fan. Its amzazing to me though how many obscure and meaningless names you people seem to know from somewhere, be it book or movie, or comic. Guess I need to download a name generator or something that comes up with some nonsensical conglomeration of letters.
99322, Or try Google
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Come up with the name you want and before you type it at CF, type it in Google? Just a thought.
99324, Or just play the game knowing
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
that a name doesn't really matter other than it is something required to target. I still believe that Tiwst was a great name. *fistshake*
99367, You aren't one to talk about names
Posted by Stevers on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
My next character will be called "Macarena" or "Jitrbug"
99368, Actually I am.
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm going to assume you're joking and/or don't really care by your lighthearted comment about naming yourself after a dance ("Zumba" would have been a better/more current dig, btw, but you're new at this).

If not, shoot me an email if you really want to go into the debate I've had multiple times over the course of 15 years. I'm not jacking this thread any more than I have.

And for the record I noticed the fact that Sarek was the name of a relatively obscure Star Trek character and was fine with it. Just like I'd have been ok with Gorkon, or Shran. Not Worf or Geordi or Spock or Guinan etc....well you get the idea.
99370, You're right, Zumba would have been a good one.
Posted by Stevers on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was also thinking "Mambo No. 5"

I don't care to debate you but I'd be more than happy to email you some time tomorrow about the origins of your name, as to keep it out of this thread.

99371, lern 2 shadowrun, sun.~
Posted by blackbird on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
99337, RE: Live long and prosper.
Posted by Elerosse on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Sorry then, I came into my nerdom later on in life, never was
>much of a Star Trek fan. Its amzazing to me though how many
>obscure and meaningless names you people seem to know from
>somewhere, be it book or movie, or comic. Guess I need to
>download a name generator or something that comes up with some
>nonsensical conglomeration of letters.

Sorry was just providing the reference to the name. Your name didn't bother me.

99353, I never even ran into him, so didn't bother me either.
Posted by Straklaw on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Like I said, though, I could only go so long before I said it >:D
99328, I wouldn't bother, to be honest
Posted by vargal on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yeah, there were a few derisive comments about your name being Sarek on the unofficial forum. However, I have to sympathize with you. I'm terrible with making up names myself. I've borrowed in the past, and I'll almost definitely do it in the future. Unless you're actually trying to _be_ Sarek the Vulcan, sphere Reason, blah blah blah, I don't see a problem with it. Your role and roleplay are what matter most, and if you're good at it people won't remember you for sharing your name with another ficitonal character.. They'll remember you for playing a well roleplayed character.

And honestly, there isn't a single person in any real position to criticize name choices in CF. Every player has used a name that was just awful at some point, and despite that were rewarded and played very successful characters.. Melememelem, Blitzenturt, Ravon, Victoria, Balthar.. Hell, the current Drillmaster is ####ing named FLAAAYIN and is an arial. Just awful, uncreative names that in some cases openly violate the name rules given at character creation. Does anyone really care? No.

TL:DR = People snicker about names OOC, but don't really care.
Evidence: The only way you get renamed these days is if your name hurts something mechanicly. ie, you tried to name yourself Guar, Vanq, Tara, Outte or something along those lines.