Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [BATTLE] Balthudar Orclover the Legend of the Battlefield
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=95254
95254, (DELETED) [BATTLE] Balthudar Orclover the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed Oct 6 21:31:48 2010

At 9 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 12th of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Balthudar perished, never to return.
Race:dwarf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:133
95255, Well, that was sorta fun...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The build worked about like I expected it would.

I found myself rarely ever fighting mages, though. Shapeshifters some, but other than that it was bards, druids, warriors...was kinda annoying to be honest, since the build was based around killing mages.

It worked pretty well against druids too, especially once none had a level advantage on me, but meh. I just wasn't having fun anymore.

I kept trying to make myself start enjoying the character, but finally decided that despite spending a lot of hours perfecting stuff like entwine/etc., I simply wasn't enjoying it.

Thanks to everyone I interacted with. Ohbehb, thanks for the induct.
95256, RE: Well, that was sorta fun...
Posted by Borkahd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had fun messing with you ;)
95260, Kinda sucks
Posted by Grimnel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Your more than welcome to come back to the Village!

We never really got to muck around together all that much, but still you always seemed solid to me.

Good luck with what you roll next.
95261, for those of us not active
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What was your build huh?
95262, Build
dwarf whip/flail hth gates whispers berserker

Wield one whip, entwine and you're using ironhands right away (please feel free to dirt me thank you), pummel or crushingblow, bloodthirst if need be.
95266, RE: Build
You know twist I would have to say that build is pretty much designed not to fight mages but to fight warriors, bards, druids, etc.

I mean while lash is great entwine is not super effective against mages since they all have word of recall.

Hand is more neccesary when you deal with maledictors which are really only a-p's and necros and they tend to be a minority of the mage crowd.

The most common mage fight/kill is shifters and vital isn't exactly big on maledictions.

I mean the combo itself has great potential but I don't see how you envisioned it to be a mage killing combo. Only A-P's can dirt kick btw.

I am curious about the whispers legacy though. What kind of hp regen would you say you were seeing with it per tick while just walking around (standing) (10-50, 50-100, 100-150, 150-200)
95267, RE: Build
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I agreed. As a mage, I do not really care about entwine - I can word anytime. No problems. HtH spec is not very damaging/lagging imo. Probably good against necros/aps but what about other mages? It looks like anti-melee build. You do not care about disarm, you nerf their dodge, etc.
95268, I did a similar build as a fire giant but with chilling and Zhelantrix and the 100 swords specs that followed got it nerfed
Posted by Abernyte on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The build was all about killing mages and ppl who came into the village. Lash works for mages outside reliably.

It was also quite cool for me that my tattoo cursed. I surprised a few mages with that, let me tell you.

-----Abernyte
95270, Cursing tattoo is what makes it work.
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Without it I see no problem wording out. I fought flail specs before as a mage, never had problems with them. Maces/axes were much worse for me. Sometimes daggers.
95271, Curse AND Aristae txt
Posted by LarcatAnon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Deleting that was dumb. IIRC you had all 100s. Basically one of the most powerful combos possible, IMHO, given the spam prac being done and having that tat.
95283, I know but I had to delete due to pressure from Imms to concentrate on Grogim's area
Posted by Abernyte on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
which was basically done and just needed tarting up and tweaking but I was getting stiffed by Valg at the time and in retrospect should have just deleted Grogim instead of Broghelan.

-----Abernyte
95272, Cry > Chilling for this, by a mile ;) nt
Posted by LarcatAnon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
95281, The formula I laid out...
... was for fighting someone who:

A. Was in the village.
B. Got cocky and let me get them close to half-ish health before wording.
C. Got cocky because I ran for a couple ticks and whispers regen made me halfway healthy again while they hadn't healed much at all.

I've found that most mages will die more to a skill like crushing blow (or pincer) than trip/cranial. I suspect this is because many mage players (myself included) will just word once they start getting cranialed - it'll still take like 4 rounds to go through because I've entered too many commands or whatever, but eventually it'll go through.

Crushingblow (or pincer), though, especially when done by surprise, will seal a kill a lot better. At least for how I play.
95269, Wouldn't Dwarf be one of the worst races for whispers?
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
With only a 19 wis max?

How well did it work for you?
95273, One more thing.
Also, you laid waste to an arial experiment of mine in like Two or three rounds without missing once.

I had a stupid amount of -AC (Probably -350 or more)at Level 15, as well as parry and shield block and you went right through it.

Nobody else in the game even hit me once with normal Melee up to that point. Why were you able to so easilly bypass that as a lvl 20 flail spec? You didn't seem to be wearing anything amazing at the time. Any idea?

95274, Flails are the new axe for warrior builds as of dex changes and isn't whispers con based? n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
95275, blasphemy there will never be a replacement for AXE!
PINCER
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
95280, I don't seem to have the log...
For whatever reason, my Balthudar logs start when the char was past level 25.

And I don't remember the fight. So...yeah no idea offhand.
95279, Why would you think wis would matter more than con?
Worked great. I could sleep for 2 ticks and heal up 1000 hp.

Even fighting, when combined with gates, I would generally heal faster than I'd take damage against leveling-mobs.

I helped several ragers hero after I did because skeletons were pretty easy - start with strip with my pounding-damage whip, once they had no weapons entwine and pummel/crushingblow/evasion and I'd be taking MUTILATES most of the time when they hit me.

With 1400 hp to blow through, we'd regularly clean off the mountain without needing to rest if I was with guys who could do enough damage.
95282, RE: Why would you think wis would matter more than con?
Posted by Quezzumpliet on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It has been hinted that wise recovery would allow whispers to work with your wisdom as well. Perhaps they thought it worked on wisdom all the time.
95284, Wis would matter if you had lower con
Posted by thendrell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It would if you had the edge and wis was higher than con, but it appears to work off of your regen and act as a multiplier which will be con based unless you have the edge and wise recovery. I did take whispers with a 19 con char, took all the healing edges. Could heal about 350 per tick when asleep. So I imagine all that with 25 con would be much higher.
Did not take wise recovery though, as 19 to 21 seemed not worth it.

95286, Eeew. 350 a tick?
That would definitly back up Twists experience with big con.
95289, Gnomes with wise-recovery is AWESOME with this legacy. n/t
Posted by Amberion on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
N/T
95292, Unless it already runs of wisdom. The WR is wasted edge points. n/t
Fdg
95303, I've had the legacy and the edge, and it's AWESOME.
Posted by Amberion on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Did it on a gnome once and I've done it on an arial. The gnome was insane! :D + it's rare that your wis goes down.
95304, What I was saying was that if it already defaulted to Wisdom
Then the Wise Recovery edge was unnecesary and thus a waste of edge points.

So you might have thought the edge WR was kicking azz but in reality it was taking no part in the equation.

95285, Because of this...
WHISPERS OF THE GREAT SEIGE
Those warriors who heard the Whispers of the Great Siege knew the nature of
hardship, and are tenacious even in lean times. Learning to quickly recover
from injury, and stretch rations of food and water to their limits, these
warriors learned to SUBSTITUTE WILLPOWER for more mundane needs of the
flesh, fighting on through the worst of conditions.
95290, That part is not dealing with recovery.
Posted by thendrell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The will power part might imply something about what immediately precedes it. Stretching rations of food and water, they subsist on will power instead of those things.
Whispers you have to eat and drink less.
95291, except that it seems to elude that will overrides con
Read all the way through that sentence.
95296, except the imms have answered this question previously
and this is really not the right place for discussion but nep at one point was kind enough to explain the interaction between whispers and wise recovery.

95306, Link? Because knowing Nep, it's possible he gave an answer
And people happily ran with the wrong conclusion.
95293, Where the heck did you get the impression Willpower = Wisdom.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mean, I really shouldn't even be asking since I know the answer.
95301, I can see where he might get that impression.
Posted by Splntrd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Will saves in DnD are calculated using your wisdom modifier.
95305, And willpower has been a synonym for wisdom since I have been playing CF. n/t
Fgg