Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(RAGE DELETE) [OUTLANDER] Lephraphuse the High Wizard of the Arcane
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=92974
92974, (RAGE DELETE) [OUTLANDER] Lephraphuse the High Wizard of the Arcane
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed Jun 9 18:30:50 2010

At 7 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 33rd of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Lephraphuse perished, never to return.
Race:dark-elf
Class:transmuter
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:219
92991, And since I am already logged in, here is a goodbye
Posted by N b M on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So I enjoyed my first transmuter, they are definitely a fun class with a wide array of options. Rolled a while back so I could get away from the disgusting cesspool that the empire became (damnit Ckath, why didn't you make your move faster! I was Jeikdurr).

About three weeks ago I was going to delete, with summer here a nice little vacation coming up next week and about three months worth of classes to pick up a couple job specific certificates things were getting busy... Then Trip text me and said, oh hey, btw, I am the healer Kagriel that's been running around with Mushga.
I was like wtf dude?! And then he said we were gonna take on Tiamat and hopefully kill him, well... that kept me going for a bit!

The other thing that kept me going were the stellar attitudes and receptive rp of both a few enemies and friends

Mainly

Ckath
Paraloiut
Mushga
and of course, Lylesse

Running with and against these guys brought back glory day cf memories and I just couldn't let go! Well, the past week has been hectic at work and I have way way too much comp time being added to my leave since I have been pulling 12-14 hour days, ick.

Put it all together and I started to get reckless just for fun, going up against bad odds this week and groups I shouldn't have. Ended up dieing to a group of three reputable characters and didn't even bother running back to my corpse.

Sent up a pray that the imm's should pay more attention to you guys cause without you, well, cf (the greatest game ever) dies... and no one wants that.

Rock on and enjoy!
92996, For what this is worth...
Posted by Lylesse on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really liked leph... You were competent, strong and just fun to be around. You were definately one of my best inductees... many with your spells/skill we could tear thing up when we both logged in together... and the old man rp... I loved it... no matter what, I saw the best side of you... Well done.

glwyn
92999, RE: For what this is worth...
Thank you, I was more then pleased with the way you handled everything that you were involved in, can't say enough how much I really really liked yours, Mushga's Ckath's and Paraloiut's interactions and play.
93000, RE: And since I am already logged in, here is a goodbye
Posted by Numair on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I liked Leph. Definitely got an evil-y dark-elf vibe from you, which is what you'd expect from an.. evil dark elf. Definitely seemed like this wasn't your first transmuter so that's surprising.

I really enjoy evil characters who seem gritty and mean and again that's the vibe I got from Leph.

glwyn and all that.
93008, Bogrel was the man.
Posted by Marin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's it. I like Nbm characters!
93190, Goodbye
Posted by myth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Glad I didn't die to you because I'm sure it would have been rubbed in my face really hard, being that your role playing a dark elf. I also noticed it was very difficult to tell if your character was a jackass or you were. your role play was mainly insulting other players semi-intelligently at least and dropping nifty one-liners like "Pathetic"

I think a good test for you would be playing a goodie/herald :P
92981, Let me just say...
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think your RP would be appreciated/recognized (including by other players) if you didn't make characters like this. Lephraphuse definitely had a voice to him, but... he was super bitchy, a terrible loser, and passive-aggressive to the extreme. It's very hard for anyone to distinguish that from a bitchy player with extremely poor sportsmanship.

92982, RE: Let me just say...
Posted by Ageryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
My interaction with Lephraphues was fairly limited, but when we did speak it mostly matched up with your comments here.

Specifically, he had been fighting tribs in Galadon. I sat around, waited for him to run into the sewers, then attacked him myself with no aid from the tribs. His response was to complain about my having tried to gang him and to threaten to gang me in the future. I think he may also have threatened to leave me naked; I can't remember exactly.

His response seemed way out of proportion given the circumstances of my attack.
92983, RE: Let me just say...
That was par for the course. There was always some reason why a victory (making him run or killing him) is unfair and the person doing it is a terrible person and will reap some disproportionate response.

Which, sure, I can totally see a dark-elf being like that, but at the same time I'm thinking, without having any idea at the time who the player was: "What are the odds that this is RP, and what are the odds that this player is just a douchebag? 10%/90%?" Because we don't have a shortage of players who are just like that with every character.
93003, RE: Let me just say...
Posted by Gryshilniar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Obviously as an IMM you see way more than just someone that interacts with him, but from my interactions with two different characters these were my experiences:

Farathen : I find him out of moves/mana/potions so I get what equates to a linkdead kill on him. We then roleplay a bit about how I was helping out evil tribs with their job etc...at no point though did he go towards OOC douchebaggery and we continued RP'ing at further points with some fun banter that always seemed cool from my vantage point.

Varthathen : Leph seemed like a very well roleplayed character...never saw anything shady and you seemed like a very strong force for the evil side of the cabal.

Anyway, my $0.02. Guess I can just relate to feeling jaded.
92985, RE: Let me just say...
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ageryn is still active, right?

I suggest not posting under this handle. It may be difficult for players to separate forum-Ageryn from game-Ageryn, which is what happened to Ahtieli.
92986, Same experience. Whiny and bitchy 'murder all' trannie. n/t
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
92990, RE: Let me just say...
Yup, threatened you with horrible repercussions for trying to jump me after fighting horrible odds, at my own choosing.. can you expect anything else?

You would do the same... "oh... you bastard... Imma get ya.. just you wait! You'll see!"

And I almost did catch you in Ktengs twice, there was a bit of dialog and you disappeared, pretty sure you enjoyed that dialog but if not, well.. sorry.
92993, RE: Let me just say...
Posted by Ageryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> Yup, threatened you with horrible repercussions for trying to jump me after fighting horrible odds, at my own choosing.. can you expect anything else?

Yes, I would expect something else. A fist shake and a threat to kill me would have been fine. Maybe spice it up with a vivid description of exactly how you were going to kill me. But that's not what you did. You responded as if I'd done something unsportsmanlike when in fact I hadn't, then threatened to do something equally (if not more) unsportsmanlike to me in return.

Suppose while playing Lephraphuse you kill a conjurer who is in the middle of conjuring and has no servitors. He is pissed and berates you for your unsportsmanlike behavior, since you attacked him when he was at a significant disadvantage. He then promises to gang you and destroy all your gear. Wouldn't you view that guy as a big fat tool?
92989, Hop into a mob and put people in that instance back in check then nt
92994, RE: Hop into a mob and put people in that instance back in check then nt
1) How exactly would you RP out: I can't tell if you're a douche or your player is a douche?

2) In my experience, less than 5-10% of the players respond well to constructive criticism; I've tried it and had bad experiences more than a hundred times and I'm not all that interested in doing more. Maybe someone else is, and more power to them.

3) I don't honestly think you're in the 5-10% either.
92995, RE: Hop into a mob and put people in that instance back in check then nt
Well, ok, you made your point clear. I won't bother ruining Your game anymore. Enjoy.

Oh, and go ahead and delete my account if you want.
92997, RE: Hop into a mob and put people in that instance back in check then nt
You know, I actually gave you constructive criticism in this thread... and you totally glossed over it.

Edited to add: And I still, honestly, would like to know how you would approach that issue IC, because I have absolutely no idea.
92998, Constructive critism?
Here is what you posted and how I took it.

> 1) How exactly would you RP out: I can't tell if you're a douche or > your player is a douche?

Basically I am a douche, or my player is a douche, either way you think every effort I put into this is Douchie.

> 2) In my experience, less than 5-10% of the players respond well to > constructive criticism; I've tried it and had bad experiences more > than a hundred times and I'm not all that interested in doing more. > Maybe someone else is, and more power to them.

5-10% respond well to critism

> 3) I don't honestly think you're in the 5-10% either.

Basically I'm a douche and I don't respond well.

Excuse me if I mistook your constructive criticism for eloquently written insults, if that isn't what it was, then I apologize.

Either way, got a lot of time filling work and play on my plate and I am done with CF, everyone who quits always wants to come back to play more but it's hard to put effort into something and then be left with jaded feelings.

Good luck with all you have going on and the baby.

93001, RE: Constructive critism?
I meant in my first post.

Basically, that you picked a character that acts a lot like people who play the game and are bad losers OOC. You'll also note, I think, that I said that being a huge cranky bitch would be perfectly reasonable RP for a CE dark elf.

Take your Ageryn thing above. It's a perfectly appropriate response for a bitchy drow. It's ALSO one 'fagtron' away from being one of the famous Kanye OOC tantrums.

My point is, if you would like more players (not just imms) to feel like they're getting RP from you, you either need to:

A) Pick a style of character that can't be confused with someone throwing an OOC tantrum or

B) Work a little harder at playing up the parts of your RP that obviously aren't that.

Evil characters in CF are sort of supposed to be villains. A lot of great villains are huge, bitchy douchebags that you would never want to befriend. That's okay! I think most (not all) evil characters should be ####s if they're being played right.

You said in your goodbye that you didn't get as much RP back from players/imms as you would have liked; I was sincerely trying to point out what you could have done differently for that not to be the case, because I personally, honestly, could not tell if Lephraphuse was bitchy or if you, the player, were bitchy.

There's a thin line between a character you hate, and a character you love to hate. That's all I'm saying.

I'm sorry you took all of that for me bashing on you, but I don't know how to say: Here is something I thought you were doing wrong or could be doing better without, in some sense, saying, you did this thing I didn't think was good.
93006, He did say he didn't know who you were man.
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So don't sweat it.

I hated this character too, mostly because I think they are unfairly balanced at learly all levels and not anything you personally did.

And don't forget.... I know where you live, so you better keep playing.
93010, RE: He did say he didn't know who you were man.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Play one.

nbm kicked a decent amount of butt with his warrior too. Put Lephraphuse in the hands of someone who doesn't know what he's doing, and he becomes way less imposing.

I'm willing to bet that the current lowbie-muter-hellraiser would still be killing lots of people if he were playing some other class.
93011, I wouldn't.
I've fought him with 3 characters now, and while I can't finish him, he couldn't catch me.

He's using one spell over and over again and catching people in the confused state it causes.

What's more, his need to threaten full looting and saccing leads me to think he isn't one of our premier players.
93012, RE: I wouldn't.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If that guy sucks and is just turning the crank, then it should pretty easy for you to duplicate his success, no?
93037, i'm sure I could.
But I never will.

I don't play muters conjies or assassins. Just like I would never try for a svirf rager.
93005, I don't know if you realize how far that would go.
Players have stated time and time again they like it.

If you come across a douche, ignore them.
92979, I know this is going to make you mad but...
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There's a difference between sphere anger and sphere douche.
92980, heh. n/t
fxgbsdg
92988, RE: I know this is going to make you mad but...
Well, may as well post for once on the officials, I don't because you guys usually can't handle the critism/truth.

I could throw a comeback right at you and say there is a difference between sphere good imm... and sphere whatever it is you are doing, but that would just be snide, so consider it a joke.

Anyway, if you guys think a chaotic evil drow outlander who is all about destroying civilization and anyone that stands up for it shouldn't be half threatening half insane towards those people he hates, by all means step in and correct him with rp or straight up conversation.

It is far easier to sit back and watch things transpire then point your finger later and say "you are garbage and I didn't like what you did at all" then to actually be proactive and try to prod people in the right direction.. I know, but really... which of the two cf's would you rather live in?

The one where characters run amook that you think are being ####s... or the one where characters get role played with and it guides the course of their attitudes to make the entire experience better for everyone?

And yes, I dropped character to threaten Ageryn with terrible treachery if I ever found him out of the shadows after he tried to vulture my 12% hp ass when I ran from horrible odds that I took on myself... Oh, well I guess that is sphere douche, sorry.

Anyway, everyone can take this for what it is and try to make the entire experience more memorable... or everyone can just ignore this and keep on keeping on. But go ahead and ask any single one of the enemies or companions who took the time to interact with Lephraphuse and I am sure you won't hear many bad things.

Ta ta.
92975, NO!!!!! Why!?!?!?! n/t
Posted by Lylesse on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM