Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(RAGE DELETE) [OUTLANDER] Zoslaun the Dweller of the Wilds
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=92082
92082, (RAGE DELETE) [OUTLANDER] Zoslaun the Dweller of the Wilds
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fri Apr 30 21:47:36 2010

At 6 o'clock AM, Day of the Moon, 7th of the Month of Futility
on the Theran calendar Zoslaun perished, never to return.
Race:human
Class:ranger
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:141
92084, Oy, oy, oy...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That was embarassing. A good note to go out on, I guess. Big props, Lamayinn.

I'd been pondering deletion for about 3 weeks. Shortly after entering the role contest, actually.

I thought I'd hold off, see if I won anything in the RC, and see if getting into hero range would make the char more desirable to play.

It did for a bit, and winning the RC was cool - the reward would have been nice if I'd been able to make a pccorpse and butcher it, I suppose....

But after that last really sadass death (and miraculously getting back all my eq! Wow.) I was on my way to gather up preps as a ghost while the Imperials and Tribunal took the Fetish despite overwhelming odds against.

And I thought...why bother? Grab that shield and aura talisman? More weeds that do funky things to you? Then what? Go sit in a forest and hope someone walks along so you can *almost* kill them, unless you nearly one-hit them with an onslaught ambush?

Bleh.

So yeah, sorry for bailing on you, Outties, but logging in to this tonight:
who pk
<42 Cloud Ran> (PK) Flayre the Caller of the Pack
<51 W-Elf Dru> (PK) Sudora Vallunor the Force of Nature
<51 H-Elf Shf> (PK) Rosalia the Grand Mistress of Changelings
<45 Fire War> (PK) Drok the Champion of Arms
<51 Fire War> (PK) Mushga the Legend of the Battlefield
<48 Felar Ran> (PK) (WANTED) Numair the Lord of the Falling Leaves
<51 Elf Bar> (PK) Torveneke the Grand Master of Artistry
*51 Human Ran* (PK) (WANTED) Zoslaun the Dweller of the Wilds

Made me think I wasn't *really* all that necessary anymore. :P

Thanks to all I interacted with. Thanks Enlilth for the RC. Thanks to all the druids I shamelessly used to make all my stuff wooden.

Later!
92085, Thoughts on savages?
Posted by TheLastMohican on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really really thought savages were hands down #1 for melee out of all the builds.

IMHO, Hunter was the best tank, animist was the best mage(*wry*), explorers were the jack-of-all-trades and beastmasters were the best utility.
92088, Well, this was my first ranger post-breakout.
I liked them, though my playstyle left me not using a lot of their skills (smearmud isn't worth much when you're not leaving any eq spots open, for instance).

So, Z played kinda like a regular ranger with savageblow and a little better onslaught damage, I guess.
92101, RE: Well, this was my first ranger post-breakout.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I found myself almost never using the special ambushes. The only time I might use one if I was ambushing someone to make them flee into a snare, but even then about half the time I'd manage to set it up so that they were walking into me, meaning I was better off waylaying.

What situations did you find yourself using ambush onslaught in? Wounded guy you're pretty sure you can one-shot?
92104, If I walked up to a guy, it was always onslaught.
I never did a default ambush. Either waylay or ambush $target onslaught. In fact my alias for at was ambush $target onslaught.

I took the onslaught ambush edge quite early, too. And I never used metal anything (except one time I wore the wrong charms bracelet, which actually cost me a pkwin because I completely whiffed an ambush on a convulsing guy, IIRC).

Also, my waylay skill was a ludicrously low 85%, despite working on it a fair amount.

My last hero ranger was Malaglen, a Sylvan Captain, and I (perhaps erroneously) remember that waylay basically gave me the next command no matter what, so I could do waylay isildur;bearcharge and hit them for the waylay and get the bearcharge in before they got a flee in.

I know for SURE that was how it was in a snare, and I *thought* that's how it was always. Zoslaun never did a waylay that didn't encounter a two round lag on me, except one lucky time that a target walked into a deadfall and I had been spamming bearcharge on them.

So yeah. Mostly onslaught ambushes.
92110, I was pissed when you got Athaniel.
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mostly because may have survived if I just fled instead of disarming.

As far as you leaving my things. I hate when people do that. I won't accept someone who just PK'd giving me my things back. I'd rather regear from scratch.

It'd be one thing if there was something like, "You're pathetic, all I see is junk still laying at my feet." But, a "wait! I have your things kinda sucks bawls."

In my opinin being friendly with someone you just wasted is adding insult to injury.

But, I do appreciate what you were doing.
92111, RE: I was pissed when you got Athaniel.
Depends on why you're wasting them.

With fortress goodies, you're wasting them in order to either destroy *or* redeem them. So leaving gear is a means of modeling kindness. It's like...I killed you because you're so evil; here's a better way.

With *some* evils, the motivation to kill is sort of a childish glee. You kill people because killing people is fun, you enjoy the hunt, etc. That's sort of how I viewed Sulye. So I really had no motivation to strip someone. All it did is make them "not fun to hunt" for some period of time until they regeared.
92113, Sulye
I always pictured him as a cat playing with his food.

Cute, unless you were the mouse. That was a good character. One of my most favorite ever.
92115, RE: Sulye
AGH! I WAS A CHICK!
92120, I knew that. But I feel dirty talking to you like you're a gurl. :P n/t
sdvsdv
92116, Well, a couple things...
1. Zoslaun was about Anger. He hated paladins really more than almost anything...maybe Empire more. He saw Fort-types as paladinlovers, and so in the absence of other prey (or if they were in his snare), killing a goodie was a way to let out that anger. Once the guy was dead, anger died down a bit.

2. I'd grabbed your backpack or whatever to see if you had any good preps. You didn't. :P I just didn't drop it in time.

3. The fact that you disarmed after eating an UNSPEAK made me think you might be a new player. So even if it wasn't IC to return stuff, I was going to offer.
92124, On the disarm
I totally missed thr UNSPEAK part of the equation and that's my favorite thing to do on even a moderatly powerful ambush.

It was a nooblet thing to do.

:)
92123, Malaglen
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I remember he had a quest skill. Instincts or some crap.

Wish I had ever had a chance to get something cool like that :/
92125, Heh.
It's what I was secretly deep down hoping/wishing for if I won RC.
92126, RE: Heh.
Why not just make nightreaver and get them for free?
92133, Instincts, not insects.
Posted by Marin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I remember Jugynheim getting the skill when I was lieutenant. If I remember right it allowed you to evade skills and spells when in the wilds.
92137, It did a lot of different things, actually...
IIRC it's based on wild% so it's great on rangers.

Other than that, if you think Executioner's Grace in the wilderness, you aren't far off.
92138, Don't you think kind of...
Posted by Guilo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's it's unfair to all of us for you as an IMM to enter the RC and win when there are only two winners during that month and delete within 2 days?

I don't mean that at all in a spiteful way or anything. But the RC is the probably one of the biggest thing that we as players look forward to, and for an IMM to win it and do nothing with it kind of stings... for me at least.

I think it'd be cool just as a common courtesy if IMM's just didn't enter and left it to be our little batch of happiness.
92139, RE: Don't you think kind of...
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I think it'd be cool just as a common courtesy if IMM's just
>didn't enter and left it to be our little batch of happiness.

The day that I can't play the game like a normal person as much as that's possible for me is the day I give up CF entirely.

Edited to add: And you know, #### you very much for being a washout heroimm who nonetheless feels the need to be vocal here about the way other people shoulder a burden that you were given the chance to help out with but were unwilling to. I'm not going to hold a grudge over it or anything, but god damn you have a lot of nerve.
92141, Wow dude.
Just fyi, I was told I probably needed another character before I could apply to be a hero IMM, and that I was going to have to wait 2-3 weeks for the vote because key people were on vacation and I couldn't hold onto the character that long. I did all my descs and stuff and it was good. If anything I think you mean a "washout heroimm app".

No need to throw that kind of stuff at me... I was just merely voicing an opinion in a constructive way to get feedback on then I get a big #### you, awesome!
92143, RE: Wow dude.
>Just fyi, I was told I probably needed another character
>before I could apply to be a hero IMM, and that I was going to
>have to wait 2-3 weeks for the vote because key people were on
>vacation and I couldn't hold onto the character that long. I
>did all my descs and stuff and it was good. If anything I
>think you mean a "washout heroimm app".

My mistake. I thought we'd gotten a little farther than that and I'm willing to admit I was probably wrong.

>No need to throw that kind of stuff at me... I was just merely
>voicing an opinion in a constructive way to get feedback on
>then I get a big #### you, awesome!

I don't think you meant it as an attack, but your constructive opinion in this case is still offensive to me.

Kind of like if you'd helpfully suggested that maybe it'd be nice to not force the (fill in minority of your choice) kids to take math, since they're not as smart as the other kids.
92145, Well then...
I apologize for offending you then and I see what you're saying and I'll try and think more from your perspective before I make posts that are like this. Simple as that.

Were both growing up and I don't know if you saw my post on Dio's but my whole goal is to start making CF a better place and being positive with the players that we have so we can all keep having fun as a whole. No grudges!
92148, Deal! (n/t)
92149, RE: Don't you think kind of...
I certainly think you guys should be able to enter and win. No question there. But I can see why someone might be annoyed when a RC winner deletes two days latter. Staff or no.
92152, It has happened plenty of times before...
Posted by TheLastMohican on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
..even I've done it.
92140, You seem to think you'd have won if I didn't...
Enlilth could have given out more winners (the default is three). He felt that only two merited any award.

So um, yeah, my entering had nothing to do with you not winning.

FWIW, my role would likely not have won a RC run by Cyradia, Rayihn, Padwei, Daevryn, or even myself. I got lucky that Enlilth ran it. He told me later that, much like Jerry McGuire, I had him at:

"flaccid member hanging limply, ..."

So yeah, "it'd be kinda cool if..." a lot of things. But in this instance, wtf?
92142, I didn't even enter this one.
I don't get why it was taken as an attack! Jesus!

I was just wondering how you guys truly felt as IMM's entering role contests and winning stuff over players... that's it, no insinuations or anything extra. Jeez.
92144, Bull.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was just wondering how you guys truly felt as IMM's entering role contests and winning stuff over players... that's it, no insinuations or anything extra.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to play this card after saying:

That's it's unfair to all of us for you as an IMM to enter the RC and win when there are only two winners during that month and delete within 2 days?

One of two cases:

1) It was fair. Twist won as a player. In this case, it obviously isn't unfair.

2) It was unfair. His status as an Implementor had something to do with it. In that case, you're insinuating something, and it's usually when I politely ask you to present evidence.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
92146, Yeah
Should have worded it different, so I'm sorry and I believe it's case 1.

I didn't mean because he's an IMP as having to do something with winning. I meant as an IMP does he feel it's not a big deal to win and then delete so fast.

Case closed.
92151, Actually I do feel a little bad...
as a player, nothing to do with being an IMP, I feel bad, but only toward Enlilth, who went to the trouble of running the RC, tracking me down to give me the reward, and then seeing me delete. That's why I made special note to thank him in my goodbye. I should have apologized to him, in there, too. :(
92147, RE: You seem to think you'd have won if I didn't...
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Zoslaun (and that was who won it, not Twist) wins it, I guess his role was just the best one to the imm reading it. I doubt Enlilth even knew, or if he did cared, it was Twist's char when he made his pick for winners.

Role contests are for any char with a role, not for the players behind them. I think it would be a far crappier thing for someone to make leader and then delete. Role contests are personal awards that have no bearing on gameplay really, so his deletion makes no difference, except maybe one less powerful Twist char running around kicking all our asses for a while.
92112, RE: Well, this was my first ranger post-breakout.
Posted by Trouble on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I liked them, though my playstyle left me not using a lot of
>their skills (smearmud isn't worth much when you're not
>leaving any eq spots open, for instance).

I've long argued that smearmud isn't worth much at any time. And I've played nearly naked savages who kept it up most of the time. I think I've seen it do exactly one thing (absorb some spores) once. Never saw it do anything in melee

>So, Z played kinda like a regular ranger with savageblow and a
>little better onslaught damage, I guess.

To me, the savage advantage was simply that onslaught didn't miss much so there wasn't any handicap for using it all the time. Waylay was most effective when you had someone walk in that you didn't want getting the first strike (sneaky types, spell casters, etc..). I know it used to only have a one round lag but that didn't seem to work for me the last time I played one (maybe 6 months or more ago).

But, I hear you Twist on the hunting part. It's a pain when virtually no one will fight you in the wilds and when you leave you're seriously handicapped. Maybe it's time for me to play CF again now that the semester is wrapping up. :)
92114, RE: Well, this was my first ranger post-breakout.
My problem with ambush onslaught is that, even if it had worked all the time for me, people just leave. Immediately. Ambush, flee, quaff.

Now if you have set up a situation where you're going to ambush them one room away from a snare, and you're hoping they flee into snare, then maybe it would be appropriate. But in a lot of the situations where that's the case (ambush next to a snare) you can ALSO get them to walk into the room where you're going to ambush. In that case you're probably better off with waylay since it lets you get next command.

The main situation where I used non-waylay ambush is when I had someone snared who I knew I wouldn't be able to bearcharge after the initial attack. So basically I knew I was only getting the ambush + 2 rounds and was hoping to kill them before they came out of de-snare lag.
92086, RE: Oy, oy, oy...
Posted by Ageryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I can't believe I let you stand up and walk away. What a n00b.
92089, Explains a fair bit
Posted by Drag0nSt0rm on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I usually don't tend to give a ton of thought to rangers in the woods. You made me extra thoughtful about trapsing around at half health though.

*fistshake* For never getting a rematch
92090, RE: Oy, oy, oy...
Posted by Hutto on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mind posting your role?

Hutto, the Sleepy Nitpicker

'Sorry, I'm not 72323slhlst. Or however you say Elite'
-Vynmylak
92093, RE: Oy, oy, oy...
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really wanted to get this guy's story to publish once he won the RC and he up and deletes! Damn you Twist!

I assume he had an interesting story or maybe which might have been a good story to put out there but I never got much of a chance to interact with this char since outlanders don't much come to the Inn.

Can always get his premium I suppose though.
92091, Woot, at least it was Twist that killed me!
Posted by Straklaw on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Now I don't feel so bad about dying like a noob :)
92098, Good character nt
Posted by Minyar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
92136, You're welcome
Posted by kaekaelyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That was pretty much the only thing my character was useful for anyway.

Editing this to add a winking face so it doesn't sound so bitter...because it's really not.

- Kirrus ;)
92157, RE: Oy, oy, oy...
Posted by Enlilth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So... When I read...

Three large men entered the room and easily subdued the paladin who, with his pants still around
his ankles, was unable to put up much of a fight. Standing there, flaccid manhood drooping, he
did his best to be defiant.

"You may have discovered and shamed me, but your so-called Empire will never win!" he cried.

His defiance crumbled to despair as the masks were removed from the women. The knowledge that he
had not only raped two innocent women, but his own wife and daughter, came crashing down, and he
began to let out a low droning wail of woe.

in a role I generally laugh maniacally first, then assume it's Twist. I halfway doubted the twistyness of Zoslaun, but in the end here we are. RC prize is imho one of the best quest skills there is. Damn shame you didn't get to see it work for you. You'd have really liked it.
92083, Now people of Thera will try to guess where your gauntlets went :)
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt