Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectMichirk
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=91631
91631, Michirk
Posted by jalbrin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I never really play warriors. It was interesting, the sheer amount of preps/gold needed at hero annoyed me, though. The fact that I was often too lazy/short of time to gather said preps meant I died in a few situations where I probably shouldn't have. Oh well, even fully prepped up I doubt my ratio would have hit fifty percent, I was green at warrior-pk and I've never been that great at pk in general.

At least during my playtimes, Nexus was OP to the point where it wasn't fun being in the cabal. Despite number advantages I often found myself logging on to an unbalanced Balance, and given my playtimes were most often confined to one and maybe two hour chunks this gave me something to do that didn't involve lengthy time commitments. It was that or go hunting for gearz, which appeared to be a popular pastime on the Island. Thanks to the imm for the edge when I decided to take the Head over hunting for a new sword. Neres, Khrugg, Massok, Koch, you were all cool. Never really interacted with any of the rest of you much. Neres, hope you get your empowerment soon or whatever it is you're waiting for to rank. Very sad I only got to bond with you for such a short time, healer bond is OP.

Given my impatience for preps I foresee me trying out the Rager cabal pretty soon. Besides, every cf'er at least needs to try a rager, right?
91644, Specs and legacies
Took sword first, dagger second. Opposite of most people but being an uber tank at lower levels was nice and it didn't take THAT long to get dagger skills up after I got to 40, though it was a little painful at first.

I used swords when I really didn't want to get hit(as much), and I used daggers when I felt a kill was likely/possible. Dagger with 25 dex is just really good, but you all know that.

First legacy was whirlwind. It was noticeable right away, even without a hamstring/hurl leg thrown in. When they were, it was pretty nasty. With concealed/riposte firing eight hit rounds versus dex nuked mobs weren't uncommon. I averaged, I'd say, at least three or four hits a round in most fights, up to average five in "ideal" conditions. Keep in mind that this still isn't "I win" in pk because every hit is still parried/dodged the same so a fire giant or arial sword spec, for example, will mostly just get a little extra spam.

Landslide is landslide, popular legacy chosen a lot, ya'll know how it is. One thing I'll point out about it is that it also PROTECTS you from drive and I assume pull/isolate. Something to remember the next time a Woldrun or Knacnar rolls around. It saved me from Knac's drives in the second fight I had with him(yay potion of dimunition and no bashpermalag-our first fight) until I was polite enough to kill myself on his parting blows. ;) Not sure if its complete protection but he failed a good three or four times while being two sizes bigger, so I figure its probably at least as good as, say, avalanche is versus bash. It mentions the protection aspect in the helpfile but I for one overlooked that part to get to the lagging part.
91640, RE: Michirk
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Honestly, rolling solo with only Vanguard as your 'prep' as a melee character is not that bad.

A couple times I saw you in a fight and I couldn't figure why it wasn't up. :(

Oh, and I'm your mystery edge benefactor.
91641, is there more then one cabal edge for nexus?
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am just curious.
91642, Three nt
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
w
91643, Thanks, mystery benefactor!
Definitely, vanguard is very nice, especially as a built in power on a warrior/melee class. People never really mention vanguard when they talk about the "best" cabal skills but I'll say right now that when you're fighting someone who's tipping the balance the effect is very noticeable. And the affect on "big" blows like deathblow is VERY noticeable. If I knew more stoneskin/shield/aura locations the DR would probably have been pretty insane. Honestly, if nexus got more solo skills beyond vanguard like some people want I wouldn't be surprised to see vanguard take a slight nerfing to balance things.

Why didn't I always have it up? Lack of attention/newbness is all I can really think of. I think I got better at having it up as time went on but every now and then I'd still hit aff and slap myself when I saw it missing.

And thanks again for the edge. I've been playing a couple years and it was the first time I'd gotten rewarded "out of the blue" like that. Was a cool feature of the game I hadn't had a chance to experience yet.
91645, RE: Thanks, mystery benefactor!
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Definitely, vanguard is very nice, especially as a built in
>power on a warrior/melee class. People never really mention
>vanguard when they talk about the "best" cabal skills but I'll
>say right now that when you're fighting someone who's tipping
>the balance the effect is very noticeable. And the affect on
>"big" blows like deathblow is VERY noticeable. If I knew more
>stoneskin/shield/aura locations the DR would probably have
>been pretty insane.

Well, keep in mind that Vanguard eats up more damage from more damaging attacks (after other DR is factored in). So that's not to say that having aura/shield/etc. on a Nexus warrior is a bad thing or is useless, but there are some diminishing returns there except on pretty weak hits.

In other words, I think Vanguard is a really great power if you don't have any/much built in DR and don't tend to have a lot of DR on you, and is a more mediocre power if you have a lot of DR built into your character or tend to prep DR a lot. (Prepping in the sense of having return potions handy, flight, etc. is still as valuable as ever.)