Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectNo more poetry from Elryn -- only a puny level 33, but ...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=90461
90461, No more poetry from Elryn -- only a puny level 33, but ...
Posted by kaekaelyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...throw me a bone since I'm probably never coming back.

Elryn was first character in many years. I had forgotten how hard it is for me to navigate CF (see my frustrated post in the Newbie Q&A section), and I was disappointed with my inability to play the game. Once I realized how much I sucked, I decided to play him pretty much for the RP alone, and when Othiesles stopped showing up, it just lost its spark. I wasn't sure what to do with Elryn after that. My heart just wasn't in trying to get him to be a Herald, anyway. I had him start writing more serious poetry, but it wasn't really in his character the way I saw him.

It was great playing with you, Wuakah, Uial, Patakie, Paelin, Othiesles, Shudor, Ewo...something, Calhoon, that arial whose name I regrettably forgot, etc. Sorry if I was frustrating game-play wise; I hope I was at least fun RP-wise, because I had already given up on everything else. Othiesles, I thought our relationship was especially interesting--I would have liked to have seen where it would have gone from there. I found myself spamming "who oth" almost constantly to see if you were on, and even OOCly I missed you a lot when you disappeared.

Anyhow, the crux of the matter is that CF strains my poor little brain a bit too much. I can't process the areas or learn the directions. I had to start lying to people about why I couldn't find my corpse even though I was JUST THERE, and for a sphere Honesty character, it just didn't feel right to lie. Half of it was not being able to justify Elryn's lack of knowledge, and half of it was pure OOC embarrassment. This game is simply not built for people with disorientation disorders. But hey, what is? Hope to hear from the people I befriended. To the moderators, I'm sorry for spamming the boards with my low-level character. It won't happen again, I promise.

- Kaelyn
90466, Heh.
Posted by Patakie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That is actually how I work sometimes. When I create a char I wish to get into it usually is a goodie, and if I don't make some Ic friends by lvl 20, I usually delete for a bit and come back again to see If I can make any buds that time. If I make an evil I usually don't make it past 30, just cause I get bored with being pissed off at everyone.

It was fun pretending to be drunk while our chars would drink at the Inn. And you and your he kidnapped me thing was very amusing. Like someone else posted, Just rp it into your char, there is nothing wrong with that cause if you think about it. Each char is new to the world. I mean unless someone has it in there role that "Ohh I traveled through the past to get to Galadon,Hamsah,where ever home town." How would they know how to find it directly on there first try?
90470, RE: Heh.
Posted by Elryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had a lot of fun hanging out with you in the Inn, alcohol poisoning aside. I always hoped I wasn't annoying anybody with my incessant blathering, which is pretty much what Elryn was all about. It was a lot of fun to do, but I wasn't sure how it would be on the receiving end. I was sort of inspired by the character of Lord Henry Watton from Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, but probably a bit less charismatic since I'm no master of Wildean wit.

My plan was to flirt with every character that I came into contact with, male or female. I expected to creep a lot of people out, but actually most people were amused, and some people actually responded. I definitely did not expect Othiesles to flirt back the way he did when I started talking to him in Galadon. I made it blatantly obvious what I was doing; he was a bit subtler, but he eventually made it pretty clear. I always got the vibe that he was female in RL (as I am), which would be kind of funny, considering the whole grapes dilemma. Hopefully that's not offensive if he's really a guy...it's just a guess, really. Maybe he can pop into the thread and clear it up for me and hopefully not get too mad!
90472, RE: Heh.
Posted by Patakie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You better make a new char and come back to the fields! Here is what I learned from being new as well. The first char I ever made, I did not understand what was going on at all. In fact the only text based games I played was Zork, and some hotel mystery one. So with my first cf char I actually ended up making 5 others to walk around with my main char, I would rp between them and with npcs, but strangely I never even knew which was a npc and which was a pc. So you got one up on me there. I ended up being teleported to the relm of the dead, and I thought since I was traveling on some river that I ended up there by chance, and something big killed me, so I floated up and down that river trying to find the relm of the dead. Heh I don't know what Imm it was who killed me but I look back on it and call my self a nub, and laugh of course. After that I never made any of my chars past 28, untill 04 I made one to 44, and I managed to get one in 07 to hero but he con died on my birthday actually.

Even to this point I don't know my way around all that much, and having a crappy wireless so I constantly loose my connection. I ended up finding my way around by looking at a map on dios a while back and I don't have to really look at that anymore. Just get back in there while it is still a bit fresh in your mind and I am sure you will learn the ropes in no time.

Besides there is nothing wrong with "flirting" or not knowing where to go, If you think about it all the chars who do know where to go kinda know it in an ooc sense, unless of course they put it in there role or just talk about there past how they Studied many books or scrolls, or learned from some adventure class. I find the most important part of Cf Is the interactions so If you can rp well, you are already among the people who keep this game fun.
90473, RE: Heh.
Yeah...it's really hard for me to learn any directions at all, but maybe it'll just take me a bit longer. I can sort of find my way around campus after 3 years, but if I take a detour I can easily get turned around. The advantage of CF is that you can't get "turned around", but it's still hard for me to picture where I am when there are a bunch of similar rooms. I look at the maps, but there's just a block there.

I just need patience. I decided that I wasn't going to be impatient this time, and that I wasn't going to get discouraged when I got carved up. I was going to play a happy-go-lucky character, which would force me to be similarly happy-go-lucky. It just didn't work. I got frustrated with myself and with my seeming inability to learn. I always had to walk to the Feanwyyn Weald to visit my guildmaster even if I was much closer to the Grove, because I simply could never find it. Even looking at the maps I would always get confused. I just wanted to learn, and I didn't feel like I was learning. I'd think I'd have it down, and the next day I wouldn't even be able to find the pit in the Grove to get my things because I couldn't get to my corpse on time. I was verging on deceptive OOC-ish excuses because I was feeling like such an idiot, and I felt pretty guilty for that.

I want to concentrate on the RP aspect for sure. I mean, that's what the fun part of the game is for me, probably just because I suck at actual fighting and exploring, especially exploring. Elryn had a really crappily-written role, but I think he had a consistent personality. I didn't ever think anything was wrong with flirting. It was quite hilarious.

Hopefully if I do roll a new character we can interact again. You seem like a pretty cool person. Sometimes I wonder who the person is behind the character, and what they're really thinking; sometimes reading Dio's too much makes you think that everyone really thinks you're a pansy and wishes you would F off. That can kind of turn you off from RPing. I'm glad to know it isn't really true--I met a really neat bunch of people.
90474, Even though I'm a PK-oriented player...
Posted by Arrna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
... I really admire strong RPers and people who stick with their RP. For me personally I play CF for about 60%PK, 25%RP and 15% explore. Just a year ago or so it was even for all three, but now I've explored most places there is in CF so... Leaning more on the PKing. heh

I really hope you get back on your feet and make a new RPing char. I personally have no trouble leading people around places that don't know them themselves. Even though they're not newbies.

For example, Aran Gird, I've been to that place hundreds of times, and it wasn't until the last 4-5 times I actually managed to learn the place. (mostly because I've been following people around.)

I've learned my way around CF by memorising the number of rooms to go. For example, the eastern road.

From the market square in Galadon to the large crossroads it's 40 rooms east. And from the crossroads to the first turn it's 15, to the grove 12, to the aldevardi castle 7. Then between the first and second turn (outside the Ugruks) there are 7 rooms, then from the second turn to the third turn there are 4 rooms, from the third turn to The riverside path right before Hamsah there are 11 rooms.

I have most of the areas in CF memorized liket his. I could give you directions basically all over CF like this.

Saved my ass once against Ahtieli. I was near the grove in the past, fought Ahtieli (The lich emperor) got blinded and got hurt, so had to teleport in the past. Now, this is a small place and as I was cursed I was stuck with teleport and I knew that Ahtieli would find me. So being blind it's hard to know where you land so I started walking around until I recognized the where the exits were and I realized that I had teleported to the battlefields near the recruitment center. So, I knew the way from there all the way out from the past and to a certain healer located near the eastern road (i was afraid of running out of moves dues to scourge/plague) and cured it all.

It has taken me a LONG time to learn all this. I recon I've played for around 4000 hours effective gametime with about 20ish hero characters the past 4-5 years. But then again, I don't suffer from the disorder that you do so I can't imagine how hard is for you.

I hope any of this helps, we really want/need players like you with great RP! :D
90785, I am a guy....and very angry........very angry
Posted by Otheisles on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
No I am not really at all even. I had a blast with the whole flirty stuff, I dont know but that night in Galadon you just caught me in a funny mood. I am very straight (wife and three kids) but in no way a homophobe so I was cool with it really. You started flirting and Me the player saw it right away but Othiesles wasnt that smart in the begining, I let if kind of evolve from that from the character standpoint. And that night with the whol grape thing was really because I just felt that you were a girl playing a guy, just intuition really, so I thought what the heck wouldnt it be fun for you to play the guy and me to play the girl, in hindsight I just should have left it be and see where and what that would have gotten us, it would have been interesting to say the least. I did the same as well when I logged in a whole lotta "who El" everytime I logged in. In hindsight as well I should just stuck out the whole character.

The reason I deleted is really simple in the areas that you claim you stink at the directions and places of CF I stink at my patience for the game. One day I logged on crabby to begin with spent 45 minutes trying to find someone to go and rank with ( I was already dissapointed with the freakin Ant AND Zebra I mean how the @#$@!(!*#()@!*#*($*? are they offensive forms??? seriously? has anyone at the CF headquaters EVER what National Geographic? They dont look like not leaders of the wild to me? They look good at being able to die, that's about it ) and couldnt find a single soul to rank with so off I go to rank by myself annnnnnndddd KRACKAPOW! dead in about four and a half seconds so me I rage, lose all patience go and find Puldun in eastern and tell him "Hey buddy lets fight! Woooohooo!" dead in about 2.5 seconds this time I say "Hey Puldun wanna fight that ant again?" he tells me to go and "kill myself elsewhere" I think sure why not and delete, delete. Pretty sh#tty story huh?

Either way I should have stuck it out, It would have been fun. I tried playing an arial assassin after Othiesles but the arial just didnt have the spark and I flittered and popped again. I am sorry for me leaving you like that and obviously putting an end to your char, I do hope you make another, it is really a fun game to let loose once and awhile with. So I hope to see you in the fields kinda like what I said to Elyrn you really think you and I meeting was an accident? Heh
90789, RE: I am a guy....and very angry........very angry
Hahaha yeah! Sorry for calling you a girl. I guess I just have this idea that all guys on CF are too insecure to let that happen! I suppose you were just cool, and you obviously have better intuition than I do.

Anyway, it was all in Elryn's role that he was attracted to both genders and that he was quite direct, so he had been hitting on almost every character that had a desc that suggested they were attractive. I had always called Wuakah "handsome giant", made passes at Uial, and even flirted slightly with the completely unreceptive Calhoon, though Elryn never cared much for facial hair and he let him know.

As for the grapes, I thought the whole idea was funny, but I couldn't imagine Elryn being down with it. As I think I previously stated, sphere Honesty. I liked the idea of a homosexual relationship in CF (although I'm sure it's been done many times before) just because when I read Dio's they all strike me as a bunch of macho dudes.

I think Elryn wasn't really all that good of a character. I mean, there was no reason for him to act or talk the way he did. A hunter from a wood-elf tribe in a strange corner of the wilderness talking like he did, all wordy and psuedo-witty? It doesn't really make sense, but it was fun anyway and like I said before, I think it was consistent, and I enjoyed RPing with him a great deal for some reason.

I'm sure we'll meet again. I've cooled down and am totally cool with playing CF again. I tried to play another character already, but it didn't really work out, so I'm toying with a new concept. Anyway you'll know it's me when I tell you that I'm sorry, I can't find Darsylon or the Battlefields or whatnot and complaining about my poor sense of direction. Then you will have to kidnap me in order for me to find my way, and I'll know it's you! ;)

90463, Bummer
Posted by Uial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was hoping to keep it up, I never noticed the navigating thing, but I guess we never traveled. I liked our interactions, although I thought your interview with Iunna was a little strange. By the way, I really did like the ant poem, that thing was swanky!
90465, RE: Bummer
Yeah, I didn't really want to get chosen at that point. I was also trying to RP his almost crippling honesty.
90462, RE: No more poetry from Elryn -- only a puny level 33, but ...
Posted by Dervish2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Why you dont RP your flaw? Play some character who has problems with navigating and tell it to people.
90464, RE: No more poetry from Elryn -- only a puny level 33, but ...
Yeah, I try to do that--Elryn supposedly had no sense of direction--but after a while it just gets old when every single one of your characters gets lost all the time. And it never really feels like part of the character, anyway. It just feels like making excuses.
90467, Although we didn't interact much at all,
Posted by Puldun on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I did enjoy the ant poem. Maybe it's because there hasn't been any note to all spam lately, but I didn't find your notes abrasive or annoying.

Have you considered talking to someone about helping you set up speedwalks between common locations? Then you'd just have to find market square (or any other starting point), enter a single command, and you'll walk wherever you need. Holy grove, other city market squares, etc, with a keyword.

How about playing a class that has word of recall, or perhaps just carry lots of return potions to utilize those speedwalks when you get confused?

Or, perhaps a healer with gate? If you enjoy the RP, that might be fun, and you could always gate to someplace/someone you know when lost.

Good luck with everything, what you describe sounds really annoying. I know I stop from time to time in the middle of going somewhere and completely forget where i was going or what i was doing, but I don't think I can blame those times on a disorder. ;-)
90468, RE: Although we didn't interact much at all,
Posted by Paelin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Puldun - Those are because you're a thick skulled giant!

Elryn - You were fun to interact with and I was really hoping you wouldnt give up the goat. I was enjoy interacting with you and publishing your works. You were fun to sit around and kill time with, it was nice to have someone interesting to interact with aside from the Occasional XXX tells you 'Gorpu?'
90471, RE: Although we didn't interact much at all,
Thanks for doing that, by the way! I got a lot of tells about the ant poem. A lot of people thought my char was insane after that!

I was cracking up when I let you maledict the hell out of me in the brawling room. I was glad I was on your good side, honestly! Those songs were brutal!
90469, RE: Although we didn't interact much at all,
Those are some great ideas! Thanks so much! I never thought of setting up a speedwalk before. Can you set it up so that you won't continue to spam directions in case someone attacks you on the way?

I liked when you messaged me that you enjoyed my poem. Keep on smashin' witches!