Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AGE DEATH) [None] Beib al Huroq the Hand of the Unseen
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=88019
88019, (AGE DEATH) [None] Beib al Huroq the Hand of the Unseen
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Nov 16 07:40:16 2009

At 9 o'clock PM, Day of the Moon, 21st of the Month of the Frost Giant
on the Theran calendar Beib perished, never to return.
Race:half-drow
Class:thief
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:None, None
Hours:492
88023, Goodbyes
Posted by Beib on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well I had a long and very enjoyable run with Beib. After playing Beib a short while I decided I really wanted to ride him to the end and finally get an age death. I thought it would be very cool if I could finally get a last name as well. So it was fantastic for me to achieve both of those objectives. Thanks a ton to whichever Imm gave me the last name. That was one of the standout moments in Beib's life for me and it was a really classy way of going about it. I've never really thought any of my characters were good enough to warrant any attention, so when I do get it I really appreciate it. Thanks for making the game that much cooler for me. I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed the thief class. I'd played a few before but never to hero and never with such success in picking pockets. Getting a quick and suave steal with no one being the wiser was a real rush for me.

The only part of Beib's life that I can truly say I did not enjoy was the anti-hoarding code. I think I only got hit by it once in nearly 500 hours but it really put a damper on my fun. I'm not quite sure why. I can eat a full loot and not be all that upset, but the anti-hoarding thing just eats at me. I think it's because I can't figure out when I'm not playing enough. It's like playing monopoly and someone randomly wanders by and takes half your money or a bunch of your hotels for no apparent reason. I thought I had it figured this time and really worked hard to be in compliance with it. So to eat a pretty bad purge at 482 hours was really painful. Thanks to whatever Imm it was that explained the other side to me and let me vent a bit. That said, I don't think I can really commit to a game with that kind of rule. I just can't commit the kind of hours it apparently takes to avoid that aspect of the game, and really if there is absolutely no way I can ever keep what I find/steal/loot, what's the point of playing? I don't consider myself a gear whore (maybe I'm deluding myself), but if I know going in that I'll never be able to keep anything interesting what's the point in looking or fighting for it.

My initial plan was a pure thiefy thief who was part Jimmy the Hand and part Artful Dodger. Unfortunately I think Beib ended up more artful dodger and less Jimmy the Hand. I really enjoyed the pickpocket path though a bunch of changes went in after I had nearly heroed Beib which made it impossible to take all the things I had initially planned to take. Nevertheless I think I ended up happy with what I got. I was around for a long time so I'm sure I will forget a few folks. If you have something to say about Beib I'd appreciate any comments (positive or negative). I really tried not to be a griefer type thief, but I can't say I always succeeded in that endeavor. Sometimes I felt like I was and it bummed me out. If I thought I was robbing someone too much I tried to think of ways I could avoid it. I would return stuff I had stolen and then learned I couldn't sell or use, I would ask others to tell folks to stop sitting around the healer in Galadon, etc. That said, I was a sphere greed pickpocket so my role wouldn't let me go too far with that. I also tried not to hold onto things that I wasn't really using or couldn't use. My late play times made it hard sometimes to get rid of things but I really did try. That damn wand of orcus was near impossible to get rid of. I finally had to give it away to a passing orc. I hope whoever it was liked getting a freebie.

Khalla: As I said before, I think Beib liked you best out of anyone he associated with. We always seemed on the same page and could work together or not as was appropriate. It may be because we both drink heavily and play late at night. There were a lot of nights that I can't remember at all with Beib.

Arrna/Kreo/Zefta: I enjoyed my intereactions with all of your characters. I think you strike a great balance between pk and rp and I was impressed with both aspects in each of your characters that I intereacted with. Kudos and I look forward to interacting with you in the future (for whatever amount of time I'm still around).

Tellik: Really dug your character and had a blast plotting and working with you. Thanks for showing me a bunch of stuff and for being a class act in general.

Durble: Nearly the same commetns as with Tellik. I really liked your RP and was happy to see you as Kingpin. Like Tellik you were good about sharing the stuff you found and thanks a bunch for showing me some neat things that I'd never seen before.

Iktul: Really evil bastard. Well done with both the evil RP and tribunal RP. I thought you nailed both. I felt incredibly stupid when you killed me though. First I tried to quaff the wrong potion to escape. Second I thought it would be really clever to run back to Galadon since you were a Magistrate. Very smooth on your part when you sealed the kill right outside the city.

Dorz: Thanks for showing me around the High Lord's keep and the hardan wood. Learned a bunch on those few trips we took. Thanks again for all the cool stuff you passed on as well. I really worked a bunch to get you that belt, and that led to some interesting deals with other folks, so thanks for that as well.

Nidblot: I dug your character and got a real thrill out of that fight in the arena between me, you and that fortress bard. I was near certain you would destroy us both. In the end it was only my anti-blindness edges and saves that carried me through.

Thanks to whichever Imm(s) gave me exp for role updates. I've never seen so many and it kept me updating my role for quite some time. Thanks also to Yean for the encouraging comments regarding my role, it really pushed me to devolp the character more and put more thought in where I thought Beib should go.

Neltouda: I really tried to get involved in your religion. Unfortunately you very clearly had no interest at all in Beib. From your negative comments during the role contest, to completely ignoring my every attempt to interact with you it couldn't have been more clear that you disliked Beib. I think I bribed, begged or bullied information about you from every one of your followers. At least a few of them indicated they put in a good word for me. I prayed and left offerings in your ship. I asked for an audience when I saw you visible. I got nothing in response. I'd really like to know what I could have done better, at least in terms of gaining an audience. I did wrestle with the inspiration part of your religion, but I thought I was making some decent headway. At any rate, if you're bored and want to throw me a bone I'd appreciate it.

And as always, thanks to the Imms and players that really make this game great. I had a really great time playing Beib and I hope I made the game at least a bit more enjoyable for a few of you.

Beib, Jegec, Folorad, Cobofec
88042, RE: Goodbyes
Posted by Mizze on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So that is why I didn't see you on who when I got that tell last night.
Cool to see people age die. We didn't interact all that much but from the times we did I sure liked it. You where a class act thief from my point of view.

Hope you had fun and GLWN
88045, The one time I interacted with you was amusing.
Posted by Sleepy2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Too bad that wood-elf nexun bard (k-something) never came to the bard guild for you to surprise him. I was hoping for it to happen, just for kicks.

Definitely wish we could have interacted more, but guess you weren't on that much, even though I played a late time as well.

Oeth.
88049, Age death.. finally.
Posted by khalla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nice. I already gave you props so I'll just reiterate that its awesome to have a long-lived character like Beib around to interact with over many months. I think it adds to the allure and mystique of CF and I hope you have the time and propensity to enjoy another.

Cheers, Beib! *tips*
88020, Ooh Beib...
Posted by Arrna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
... You lasted a really long time! :D I first met you as Kreo when you joined the Galadon thief guild and I was Kingpin. Then had a deal with you as Arrna. After that I've met you with two other chars as well. ;) It was always enjoyable.

I hope you come back with something cool soon again.