Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectObsoab is gone.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=87081
87081, Obsoab is gone.
Posted by Xanthrailles on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Having practically one person to group with for a majority of this character’s life got really old. On that note Glurgick thank you for being there. Tarleton thanks for the shot at High Priest but I was a sect of one. :P I enjoyed most of the interactions I had with people. Talund, I can’t say that I’m sorry for the anathema. You went above and beyond treating me like ####. I had planned to promote you back to priest but then you started logging out within a few seconds of logging into the game. That was piss poor in my opinion.

Enemies- Well you were usually numerous but I felt I handled you all well enough. Nothing was ever ooc with me. I was sphere anger and was usually just trying to get a rise out of you. Unfortunately that means you all probably thought I was a real ass.

Twist, in 160 some off hours I never saw you, wtf? Thror thanks for everything. You are a top-notch immortal and I really enjoyed it. I think you knew that I was planning on deleting last week but decided to stick it out a little longer. I was pretty sure that is why you gave me the nudge tonight. That was really appreciated and I’m sorry I wasted that time when you could have been with another follower.

Nepthene and Raiy, I loved the dragon towers. If I could have given Tiamat another shot I’m sure we would have killed her.

On a funny note my wife walked by the computer one day and saw me playing. She looked at the computer and said, "Obsoab, does that stand for one big son of a bitch?" I found that funny since I was sphere anger and seemed really appropriate.

I think I’m done with cf but I've said that in the past. Thanks for the memories.
87212, RE: Obsoab is gone.
Posted by HammerSong on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This character was pretty damn neat. The depth and passion of your interaction kind of floored me. While I respectfully disagreed with my superiors on my decision to interact with you, I felt the approach was well worth my time.

"We are Gods. You are our pawns. You are mortal and alive for our entertainment. The moment you begin to bore us, we can end your existence."

This was pretty much my approach with Obsoab.

I was hoping to see you fulfill your goal with me but I easily thought of dire consequences should you fail. Regardless, each time I watched you, I never saw you break your creative roleplay. That was admirable.

You had a very visible challenge before you. The depth of your character was revealed by how you reacted to those trials. I'll never turn down interaction with anyone. Especially if my sole purpose in coming back was to help reinvigorate veteran and new players to enjoy this game.

Great job and good luck with the next.
87223, RE: Obsoab is gone.
Thanks again. I really appreciated it.
87094, RE: Obsoab is gone.
Posted by Bezzilan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Was fun talking with you the few times we did. Was like the irresistable force and the immoveable object. Great fun.
87107, RE: Obsoab is gone.
Yea, our relationship would have never of gone very far. :P
87093, RE: Obsoab is gone.
Posted by noob on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Aww... and we just met. I have to thank you for pretty much making my first imm interaction happen although I couldn't understand a word the imm said besides "drow". The whole last part left me kinda confused. Either I missed something as it scrolled by or I'm just oblivious to what happened.
87108, RE: Obsoab is gone.
Heh, I think I know who you are then. Thanks for that last little bit of help before I died.
87085, RE: Obsoab is gone.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Am thinking you might have had more fun if you're played something other than a healer, given how sparse Empire is during the early evenings.
87083, Bad taste in my mouth.
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The thread you started after trying for empowerment from me for two days (after selecting the wrong sphere, mind you) left a bad taste in my mouth. I did watch you, but I didn't see anything particularly great, and Thror was the one who empowered you, so...meh, I guess?

I'll be honest with you, too - I never really got why Thror fully empowered you - the fact that you went after him after realizing that the whole Gurgthock thing wasn't going to happen smacked of "there's a visible imm, I'll throw some roleplay at him" and the suicide thing smacked of "well if I don't get empowered I'll just delete."

Really, I was kinda thinking you had a char that should've gone nowhere but due to some kindness on Thror's part, went way higher than probably should've been possible. But I'm a cynical ass. And he's not. :)
87086, RE: Bad taste in my mouth.
"there's a visible imm, I'll throw some roleplay at him"- I don't remember what happened with this exactly. I think it had something to do with an earlier interaction with Yean. Once Thror started rping with me I realized the character could fit his religion rather nicely.

Really, I was kinda thinking you had a char that should've gone nowhere but due to some kindness on Thror's part, went way higher than probably should've been possible. But I'm a cynical ass. And he's not. :) -- This is the story of my life. Ignorance is bliss. I'm just too stupid some times to know when to quit. Only Thror can answer this for sure but I think what you said is exactly why I made it so far. In the end isn't that what Thror's religion is all about?
87096, Quite probably you were fine as a Thror-ite...
...and I never jumped in to screw with you, despite thinking you were nothing special. I also didn't think you did anything hugely wrong. I did prod Thror about giving you full empowerment when your role essentially said something about being disgusted at having any from him (or something to that effect) - like...if this guy is angry at having power from you, um, take it away!

But I also commend Thror for seeing the player behind the char and just trying to make the game fun for that player. So in the end, I think things turned out ok.

Out of curiousity, what sort of immteraction were you thinking you'd get from me?
87105, RE: Quite probably you were fine as a Thror-ite...
Really none after Thror empowered me. I was commenting to the fact that I never saw either imm persona for the life of the character.
87111, I'd like to just throw in a comment.
Posted by Minyar1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Xanthralles and I know each other ooc, there is no secret there as we were obviously playing characters that tried to kill each other all the time.

I just wanted to give a big "two thumbs up" to Thror and how he handled the situation. Xan showed me a couple of shots of their interactions and I thought it looked like a very fun time for both Obs and Thror. The disdain thing is funny and I can totally see how that would fit with Thror "shaping" Obsoab on the anvil, or with the hammer...whichever fit better.

Obsoab had a rough existance as the Empire has had for al ong time now, and I think he deserved some love there. Was his RP horrible? Did he go ooc and rant on a lot of folks? I mean, come on..the guy logged in when he was alone against multiple Fort, Scion and other enemies constantly...shouldn't that warrant a bit of love from some Imm?

I think the russian crew all making empire together is bad for Empire...they can deny that they know they are doing it if they want to. I know a lot of folks ooc on CF...we don't roll up together, and in fact i think we tend to try killing each other more. :)

I know I bit Obsoab a lot!
87129, RE: Quite probably you were fine as a Thror-ite...
It seems I should clear up my original comment on the death thread. I went back and looked at my logs out of curiosity. My first interaction with an immortal was Yean. Thror empowered me before you replied to my post on your board. (A pretty cool log if anyone is interested.)

When Obsoab was created I hadn't played cf for a couple of months so I was unsure if you were playing that persona. In that two day period I prayed several times over several hours and asked on the newbie channel if you were active. (An immortal referred me to the boards.) If I had started Obsoab today I would still have the same questions. According to your response on your forum regarding if you were active or not, you stated you were highly visible with the beheamoth. My intent in the goodbye was to say that I just played a character over a two-month period for roughly 4-5 hours a day and I never once saw or heard from you.

In my mind Thror and I played cf the way it was meant to be played. I adapted to the rp environment I was given. What did Obsoab owe the beheamoth? Why wouldn't he take advantage of the situation? I had opportunities to approach other immortals. Thror was choosen because he fit the my role and I his religion.

On a sidenote Thror never did fully empower me but he did give me everything I needed as a healer. Your whole post seemed if you had been waiting to tell me what a piece of crap I was. Instead of doing that how about you tell me what you would have liked to have seen out of the chracter?
87133, Text makes it hard to misunderstand.
I wasn't trying to imply I thought you sucked. I thought your original post was saying "How come I had to go elsewhere for imm-loving?" So I was explaining why I didn't interact with you. I didn't think you sucked, I didn't think you were great, I thought you were a pretty standard guy.

I was a little meh toward the char for ooc reasons described above, but I sure wasn't going to let that make me treat you poorly IC.
87087, Agreed 100% (n/t).
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nmft
87090, Kekekekeke
Posted by Dwoggurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow.
These were some friendly goodbies }(
87091, Hell
Posted by N b M on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm personally surprised you interacted with him in the first place.

I liked Obsoab, and I think he brought a good bit of old school much needed empire sect on sect hate and internal strife that has long been missing.

But hey, what do I know.
87097, I agree on the empire sect hate stuff...
...in fact you'll notice if you read Talund's PBF (not sure if anyone bought it?) that I liked Talund but didn't really care for how friendly he was with the other sects.
87106, I am still alive n/t
Posted by Talund on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
87110, Oops.
Ah well, thankfully I didn't say anything vital about your char like where your secret gate-out-of-trouble spot is or anything. :)
87116, Reminds me of Monty Python
Posted by Pendragon_Surtr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Bring out yer dead!
Throw Talund in the cart, he's dead.
No, I'm fine really. I'm feeling better!
87176, Speaking of Python
Posted by Susu on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
They've been playing a new documentary all week this week on IFC. It's a six hour documentary and they play one hour a night, followed by a Monty movie and then an episode of flying circus. I've dvr'd all of it. God it makes you laugh so hard. Every time I see some Python I'm reminded how ####ing brilliant they were.
87109, Disdain for the empowerment system?
Posted by Kadsies on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How come both of your religions are'nt communer friendly? Just don't want to be bothered with it?

I started reading Gurgthock's helpfile and got excited about playing an evil communer and then died a little on the inside by the time I finished reading it. So much amazing rp potential there.
87125, Not to hijack a thread...
...but yeah, I probably got burned out on empowering folks way back when I had Balgrimnr. The amount of bitching about a Balgrimnr paladin (who was almost certainly EG, and thereby had all sorts of nice perks) was only part of it, the other part was feeling bleh if I wasn't around for the char, which was/is possible.

Now that empowerment chars get powers up to 20 without needing me, I might become more willing to step into the old empowerment shoes. I'll give it some thought.

FWIW on Gurgthock specifically, though, it's sorta how he was planned out - not to have a religion of his own, but to be a herald of Hell.
87115, Why don\'t you stop pretending to be an Imm
Posted by Slobodan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And go back to making overpowered giant warriors that receive an inordinate amount of perks.
87117, Strange stuff.
Posted by Guest123 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have never interacted in any "meaningfull" way with his giant warriors except maybe take a beating or two if that, but I have read a few of his logs and I still chuckle when I think of the word hyposmashical or something. Just that convinces me that he deserves everything he get.
87119, If you compare
Posted by kadsies on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The hours played and perks ratio to some other non twist chars I bet you see more perks on them then you did on Hunsobo. Twist sticks it out with his chars for hundreds of hours..perks are inevitable.
87120, RE: Why don\'t you stop pretending to be an Imm
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Who are you again? I can't place it. You've got the vitriol and staff hate, but you're too literate to be hastur. And Dwoggurd's still posting as Dwoggurd, jhyrbian's still posting as jhyrbian, kadsuane's still posting as kadsuane, etc. I'm at a loss for who's left.
87158, To the crybaby and the Imms
Posted by sotdb on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's a sad fact that many of the Imms seem defensive (rightfully so) and text is generally ambivalent enough that the reader's mindset can easily what's read to mean something that's totally not what the writer meant to imply. I've seen it here on the forums tons of times.

There are a few people, who despite allegedly loving the #### out of this game have taken it upon themselves to call the staff to task for everything they feel is wrong in as non-constructive a manner as possible.

A reminder to the dissidents in question. The game is free, if you don't like it, go spend your time elsewhere, bitching at the people who run the game just makes it miserable for them and those of us who just want to play and have fun. If you really want to grace the staff and the rest of the gamers with your brilliance at least package it in such a way that doesn't make you seem like an overbearing prick just from reading the subject.

To the Immstaff, please remember that while it's a sad fact that these troublemakers are for the most part, the most vocal players, each of whom seems to be suffering from an unrealistic sense of entitlement, you probably didn't decide to be an Imm so you could cater to the most jaded ego maniacs who play the game, right? Don't let them win.
87198, Ok
Posted by Kadsies on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I just won't play any more. Have fun jerking yourself to eq spam.