Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectBaog walks into the dwindling light....
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=86290
86290, Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Quezzumpliet on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, Baog was fun... for the first 100 hours. As I approached 200 hours and still not an acolyte I knew it wasnt going to happen. I like the people in Fortress for the most part but... the waiting game just sucks and frankly I doubt I will ever play one again.

I wanted a real challenge so I figured retarded lightwalking fire giant ranger would do the trick. I took x5 flaws in Int, Wis, and Chr. Learning was a bitch, training worse, 18% skill practices, ouch. But I endured and I made it to hero. To date there have been only two other fire giants to make it to hero ranger and I can see why. It is not a kind path but then again i didnt expect it to be.

I don't think I'll ever take that many flaws of that severity again. To quote the great Kirk Lazarus, "Never do full retard"

I will respond to any comments others may wish to post but I think I will forgo a lengthy list of goodbyes and just stick to the one who made this character possible.

Mama Padwei: You made it happen, from helping me reach the light to actually reading the books in the library to me since I couldnt read. You gave me the finest RP i've had since I played Tsyda. When I finally became fully of the Light I actually teared up a little bit. It was that good. I can't thank you enough nor say what an asset you are to Carrion Fields. Thank you.

--Quezzumpliet, aka Baog.
86366, Tough Road with some good fights.
Posted by Lornis on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were about often and though you weren't necessarily rough for me, you made things interesting with snares and what not. You also had some good timing with a few kills on other people with me. Sounds like you picked quite the challenge, hope it was a good learning experience.

GLWYN
86344, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Kearina on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was shocked when saw fire giant inside the Fortress for the first time. I thought, this guy must be outstanding to get align change and induction.

I wanted to heard your story and you told me it. Great char all around.

But dude, you did all this, get align change, a lot of immteraction, induction and I did not even know how LOW was your int/wis. Put a lot of time into this char, and then poof, just delete.
This is nosense. And I dont think that making your acolyte will stop you from deletion.

Either way, it was great char, thank you for your time, hoping to meet you again!
86361, Baog was a wonderful challenge.
I played Aan the Lightwalking Duergar and Knight of Thera (god I miss that cabal.) in 97 and it was the only time I had played an alignment change character. Having been twelve years I thought why not try again.

I appreciate the kind words of praise.

You ask though, how can I delete after all I got? I think the old adage 'walk a mile in my shoes' answers that quite well. With everything positive I received what a buttload of negative as well. Not from the imms but form the situation I myself created with Baog and my character choices. In the end there were two main reasons. Too long to acolyte which I set a timer of 200 played hours or delete and burnout on the character. It started to feel like work, not fun.

I wish you all the best with your character.
86407, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Kraenesk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Quez has a history of outstanding Chars. So no suprise it was him, he wrote some decent areas too if I remember right. Good to see you still playing. Quez will remember me as Munro.
86334, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Lorn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really wanted to see you make Acolyte. You were well played. You took handicaps to create a great character that fit into the Fortress atmosphere well, save for the fact that you couldn't stay alive. I wanted to see you grow stronger, though I can understand how hard it was. I will miss Baog.
86358, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
I wanted to be an acolyte, bad. This is my third attempt at it and third failure, but I cannot abide but the extremely long wait times. Its rediculous. I also don't like that I was waiting longer for a mistake that I was not properly corrected on. I love the character of Lorn even if I don't agree with the nexun policy. But you need to give more feedback as do the Imms. I asked before and after that incident how I was doing as both times it was very positive. Except that after the incident it wasnt, nor was I told there was a problem. That doesnt work. If a character is doing something wrong, it is your duty, Balten's duty, and ultimately Padwei's to tell that charcacter right away what is wrong and how to correct it. Otherwise the behavoir will persist and nothing will change. Just work on those feedback skills, you are the leader, it's allright to take someone aside and tell them what they did wrong. They won't hate you for it.

I really do appreciate the opportunity to be in the Fortress and your positive and constant presence within it. You are one of my favorite characters to interact with in quite some time and it has been a pleasure.

86393, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Lorn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I apologize. I thought I had properly corrected you on the things, especially nexus related, that needed correcting. I almost thought I was a bit too harsh, Lorn is more of a laid-back leader, stepping in directly only when something is glaring. The rest of the time, it is a matter of leading by example. Subliminal leadership and nudging here and there. Especially with Baog, who Lorn thought as tough in spirit, sure, but also a bit fragile. Lorn did not want to shock Baog's system, so to speak.

I do not want to rub salt, but you were very close to Acolyte. I believe a talk or two away, actually. You did most everything right, seriously. I recommend rolling another scribe-character, a bit more cut and dry this time, using what you learned with Baog. Sure, we are not the most powerful bunch, but to achieve Acolyte means you are offering something to this game that no other faction or cabal does! I really hope to see one of yours back before Lorn passes.
86326, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Gumash on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is sad Baog, I was hoping to see you die of age-death I saw some stuff in the chest and, well I knew it was yours, did not expect to see you delete. It was a fun character to talk to, you always talked retarded but you always had a snare up at least, you were smart enought to do that at least. Oh well, good luck on your next!
86327, So what happened with you and me?
Posted by Kaskin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I remember we got mad at each other but not why.
86328, You offered to help ...
... I asked you to hit the vanquisher and you , to paraphrase, said "hell no, im not doing that" so I said "don't offer to help if you never intended to" or some such. No biggie. I did try to apologize but you wouldnt talk to me.
86331, Ah now I remember.
That's not how I remember it.

I went to help a fellow I thought was in the fort take down either the Vanquisher or the Nightwalker and ended up getting the last strike. It didn't help the Fortress and I appologized to everyone. After that you spoke to me and I thought you were razzing me for being a (Sarcastic) "Big help", so I left.
86357, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
There was no way I was going to age die, I was burning through con too fast, even with being able to camo. As I mentioned in another post, I gave myself 200 hours character time (150 as scribe) to be an acolyte or I would delete. I've been burned before in Fortress by not getting acolyte with another character when I was told I was doing great yet it never happened after 150 hours so that was the ultimatum I placed on the character. It didnt hurt that I was burning out on Baog a bit. Having so many subpar skills made it really difficult to fight well but in truth my RP had died off a bit and I was having trouble rekindling it.

You my friend, on the other hand, have the tenacity of a wolverine. You die often and bad and still bounce back. My hat is off to you.

86316, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Tangni on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Was fun talking to you retard.
86319, Ummm.... thanks?
You seem to be doing a heck of a job as sunwarden being a present as you are and always willing to fight. You just seem to give off a more neutral vibe but I assume thats the violent aspect of being Jaguar follower.
86329, RE: Ummm.... thanks?
Posted by Tangni on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There's a lot of misinfo about me on the other message boards.
Some facts.
I've never killed or even fought a paladin.
I've never activly hunted any goodies.
I've actually pulled off of goodies attacking the tree when they were running back to town.
I've killed reavers because they were attacking lightwalkers.

I'll leave it at that, but people assume I hunt paladins and lightwalkers, when in fact it's the total opposite.
86330, RE: Ummm.... thanks?
Posted by tangni on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
and the retard was a joke to your role.
86341, I can vouche for this based on his rhetoric.
And was told specificly he wouldn't attack Paladins and if attacked he would withdraw.
86369, You're a lying sack of ####. Hope you know. nt
Posted by Scrimbul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Bard Repertoire Clarifications:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=23735&mesg_id=23735&page=
86370, Recent events leave me wondering about the (Anti) paladin clause too. n/t
sdvasv
86304, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Balten on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I liked you a lot, I knew you were stepping up and playing something tough and really respected you for it. I had no idea it was THAT tough.

I honestly thought people turning from evil to fully good was something Imm's just sorta said was possible but never had any intention of doing. The fact you were made good brought a huge smile to my face, and hearing it got a bit of backlash for Padwei and you really kinda annoys me.

Ah well, I enjoyed Baog a lot. Take care and good luck with your next.

Balten
86317, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
I like Balten alot. Great character and you really made Baog feel at home in the Fortress. Baog was tough, sick tough sometimes, but I hope it will make my next characters feel a little easier. It really was an exercise in RP and patience. Unfortunately after I heroed I really lost steam and didn't follow through as I should have.
86302, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Good char and you had really interesting description. GLWYN
86300, I really, really don't like seeing this.
Posted by Padwei on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A couple of things.

I sort of caught a bit of flack for changing your align so quickly, so I was
going to withhold Aco a bit. I thought it was a fair decision, especially
since I needed to catch up to you and talk to you about a few issues
I had with how you handled/felt about Nexus. Unfortunately, I really
haven't had the desire or gumption to play CF lately, so this just never
happened. That part of it is entirely my fault, and I apologize.

That said, I really, really liked Baog. I did sort of feel like you got bored
and weren't as interested or were frustrated by a lot of things. Whether or
not it was not making Aco, or if it was PK-related, I don't know. I know I
personally was frustrated that you seemed less interested in the religion
as time went on.

My intent was to eventually make you an Acolyte in the end, but I understand
your general frustration with the situation. I'm sorry if this deters you from
future endeavors in the cabal. I hope that changes.
86310, Not to bash the Immortal decisions...
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...but with a guy that flawed who lasted that long, should not have got so little attention. The fact he went with 18% practices and nearly heroed is beyond anything I can fathom playing - and all he wanted was to be an Acolyte. We're not talking about a gnome murder warrior who wants unholy weapon - this guy wanted sprinkles on his heaping pile of crap and you guys wouldn't give it? Why - because it might show favoritism to a RETARD?

It really saddens me to see over and over again people who go the extra mile and get crap - this guy went the extra mile and he didn't even get Acolyte.

Wow.
86311, Dude
Posted by Splntrd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You're completely ignoring the fact that this character got a relatively painless alignment change extremely early in his life. That's not a minor thing, that's not "crap". It almost never happens.

Should Baog maybe have gotten a little more? Maybe, maybe not. But what he did get is nothing to sneeze at.
86314, You are correct!
I got to experience tons of wonderful things way early on as as far as I was concerned I needed to earn the rest. I am very grateful for the alignment change, the sex change (heh), and every good thing that came my way such as being inducted into Fort. It really is a case of burning out. Acolyte may have saved me from that, it may not.
86312, Easy there chief.
I did hero and I got more immteraction from Padwei than from any previous imm before. And thats in 12 years of playing. She was phenomenal and did nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned. Fact is that I started to burn out after 100 hours. The ranking was so difficult. I had so many mob deaths. I have no doubts I would eventually get acolyte now that Padwei mentioned it in her post. But its hard to play a character you have essentially burned out on.

I do, however, dislike the squire/scribe dynamic of Fortress and wish they would just get rid of it. But that doesnt fall on Padwei, she inhereted a system I consider broken. Things may change, they may not. Until they do though, I won't play another Fortie.
86313, He got attention.
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And he also hit some roadblocks on the road to Aco-dom that I needed
to address with him, but hadn't yet. Yeah, he had a tough role to play
with that int/wis, but you know what? 99% of people who want to turn good
don't get that far, nor do they get unbetrayered. The fact that he hadn't
made Aco yet is a shame, but it was coming if he sorted some things out.

Plenty of other people put in a lot of effort and get nothing in return.
Maybe that's our fault, but we can't be perfect 100% of the time.
86343, Agreed
Posted by Guy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't know the whole Baog story, but as his allie I can say he wasn't ready for acolyte just yet. He didn't quite grasp certain aspects of it, but all in all I really enjoyed his character.

He was a great ranking buddy and all around companion, even if he wasn't ready to make acolyte just yet!

glwyn dude!
86294, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Onewingedangel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!! This is my point, I just made a post to jip about my friends deleting....and here's another one. Menthias Is going to be even more lonely now.

Anway...Nice tropic thunder quote, and good luck with the next. You were a solid Roleplayer, not sure how you could stand playing retard, I hate RPing low intelligence races, the only one that's fun is dwarves....Ahhh...dwarves. Haven't played on in a while...There's my next Character!

Well, have fun, and again, GLWYN.
86296, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
I've never really RPed low int so I thought it might be fun. I came up with the back story of his head being smashed in as an infant to explain the 10 int 12 wis. It was surprising how easily I was able to slip into Baog mode. It just sorta flowed.

I have to hand it to yo playing Menthias, that has got to be some tedious work and still there you are. I enjoyed our chats and appreciate having good roleplay to work with.

--Baog
86309, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Onewingedangel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Dude, it is extremely tedious, I've been so close to just calling it quits a few times. Especially the time tinsalaop came and killed the maran just to get in and kill me. That pissed me off. But...I'll stick it out, get all my shields, and then master them a bit later....
86293, Had one really cool run in with you.
Posted by dwimmerling on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I saw you at the herald taletelling event and thought you were solidly played. Good work

86291, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Posted by Sulye on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Let me just say you showed AMAZING restraint in not killing me the time you had me snared me outside high lord's keep. Thought I was a goner for sure.
86292, RE: Baog walks into the dwindling light....
Baog wasn't about killing the dark, he was an acolyte, but he was fiercely protective of the Fortress. If I had snared you there I would have attacked. Anywhere else I tended to let those who were not Scions or Empire go without a fight. Not that I was that powerful but I did get a few kills more than I thought I would get (0).