Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=86221
86221, (DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Sep 24 21:41:23 2009

At 6 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 26th of the Month of the Great Evil
on the Theran calendar Jip perished, never to return.
Race:arial
Class:thief
Level:42
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:241
86315, Solid work.
Posted by Tinsalaop on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You picked a tough and unique row to hoe and did it well. Good work and I enjoyed the fights. The one in Barovia you were awesome! You made some good choices and it worked out. I truly thought I had you.

GLWN
86500, I hated your familiar.
Posted by Jip on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Your familiar rocked my boat, though; I couldn't do thiefy stuff to you, and it was too strong (I hit too weakly) for me to punish you for bringing it into combat.

You were a great foe; you brought it, you dished it, you took it, and we had some fun banter.

Keep your devil happy, and we'll see you in the fields.
86289, You were always one my ass
Posted by Onewingedangel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I played Menthias....and.............................................
Basically, anytime I knew you were one, I didn't want to travel anywhere. I knew you would find me. But when you did find me, I tried to fight for a little bit, hoping maybe I'll kill you once, and you'll just leave me alone. I hate people who as soon as you attack them they flee. Even as an invoker, even before I had my shields, I tried to stay and fight you. (I would've had you that time at Arial City, but that killing casting of iceshards was spellbaned, and I got hit five times...killing me.)

You were also fun to talk to (Even though we barely talked, except the time I tried to get you to quit the battleragers, and join the village.) I liked how you didn't try REALLY hard to chase me down, gave me some peace after I realized you weren't the "I'm going to chase you until I finally kill you", kind of battle rager...(Like ungar, caused my last invoker to con-die...although...I was little too gung ho with her.)

Well GLWYN

p.s. Playing another fortie, just because the leaders go to their deaths, doesn't mean you have to listen to them about it. Plus, I don't see them running to their deaths to often these days. They play a little more conservitive, though. My invoker needs another friend, all hers keep deleting! (Damn you Rohdinath....and Merothmos...)
86307, One word. Fly
Sticking around is great, but you need to be sure that as the fight starts to get close, two trips aren't enough to get you killed.

I got the impression that you were a newer player, and so although I wasn't shy about attempting to kill you if I encountered you, I didn't want to harass you to the point you logged out or quit. Nothing ruins the game experience like feeling you can't do anything other than cabal or guild sit.

Spellbane and spell evasion worked better for this character than any previous villager. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but they allowed me to compete where my past villagers would have been fried, frosted, or mind-melted.

I've never played a mage to any significant level, but I am intrigued by how invokers and transmuters can creatively pk. I can't wait to see how you put your arsenal of spells to use as you begin to wear your class better.
86496, RE: One word. Fly
Posted by Menthias on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Any time after you fought me, I would teleport or word, and right away drink a potion of flying, and would keep drinking them for some time after that.

I'm not really a newer player per say....just newer to the higher ranks, I used to get bored REALY quick, and so never really got past 25 for the first 3 years of playing. This past year though, I've been doing much better.
86261, Damnt
Posted by Sarux on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Now whose going to be my loving sidekick to my asshole personality ;) Sucks about poison making and the hide skills, it would be nice to hide while mixing.....it was nice to meet someone helpful in the Village - almost made me think you're a serial Fortress player. Thanks for the help with sparring and hopefully I can help ya out as well...

You said it'd take you about an hour to regear. Don't forget you can regear damn easy as a poisoner with mind control.

suggest felar drop skirt
You suggest the felar shaman to 'drop skirt'.
The felar shaman drops a fang-covered skirt.

The gold farming does suck though, I'll give you that. So do poison resistant/immune shifters (damn snakes), dwarves/duergar/svirf (damn Rhyaldrin), healers (damn purity), liches/mummies, crappy grenade chance (hardly ever works), anyone with that phylactery, or just about anyone else poisons don't work on. Also damn the inhaled bug that's still not fixed that *really* limits our path until someone fixes it.

Hopefully you had fun though - live and learn. Good luck with your next.

Sarux
86267, reply
re: being helpful
Poisoners really allow people to get creative, but there are aspects to the poisoner specialization that really handcuff you. The ideal situation would be to perma with someone who doesn't need gold, like a ranger, and the two of you take turns baiting people on civilized or wilderness terrain. I haven't seen many poisoners in the past, and so I tried to encourage others by bouncing ideas and trading recipes. Good times.

re: Fortress
I haven't played Fortress in a long while because of disgust toward leadership that embraced a "I'm going to charge by myself into this group of three, and you should too!" suicidal mentality. I figure if I'm going to take on bad odds, I'll at least play a cabal there is a circle specifically for d*** measuring.

re: regearing with mind control
Yes, I had done that previously, but my last several hours I was trying to stretch my final 5 gold as long as I could, so I didn't go that route.

It seems you have lots of people hating on you, and for what I don't know, so I can only hope you the best.
86269, Yep, he's the best..
Posted by Alex on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Asshole. Sorry for interupting your thread though.
86278, ;)
>It seems you have lots of people hating on you, and for what I
>don't know, so I can only hope you the best.

I destroy preps - which is why I'm severely hated. I'll destroy huge chests full of preps, wands, scrolls, potions....on anyone, anytime and for it I'm full looted/sacced. If the inhaled bug was ####ing fixed, I could actually kill people but for now I get to kill inventories.

That's what a battle thief does ;)
86282, What is bugged about inhale? ntnt
Posted by CD on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
ntnt
86286, No combo
Can't use inhaled on anyone sleeping - aka no knock-out then fear/mind-control.
86284, Or
Posted by Sadclown on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe it's that you're a ####ty villager who attacks nonmages and nonenemies all the time? That you lie about what you do to your leaders? Those might be some reasons too.
86287, Actually....
...the amount of people I've killed that aren't enemies/mages is real damn low - maybe one. Now knocking someone out and clearing out their inventory? I do it all the time. Fortress, Outlander, Herald (especially) - bring it on. If you've got (magical) in your inventory, you aren't keeping it.
86288, RE: Actually....
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You should at least make an effort to destroy only the magic flagged stuff. To make your point. Otherwise you're just another guy indiscriminately stealing and destroying stuff.
86299, Ya got me
I did still one thing - I stole a dagger from a Fortress guy while I was sacrificing his potions and I'm an evil thief.

And ya, I only do actually. Either way, no more replies - derailing.
86298, RE: Actually....
Posted by Toughman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Considering I've seen you launch grenades at people and trip them, I've a feeling you're not really being 100% honest here. You don't steal magic inventory while grenade launching and tripping, unless thieves have changed in the last two weeks since I checked.
86260, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
Posted by Bezzilan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Short intereactions but they were fun and you were a hit at the taletelling, thanks for coming and participating! Hope to see another character soon.
86270, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
CF Switzerland gets a bad rap, but I respect what is done there when Heralds aren't sitting on limited gear I want. Be a force, make some noise, and try to stay above the fray.
86259, Noooooo!
Posted by Wormell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Jip was great, with a very refreshing attitude.

I'm sorry to see you go.

Worm
86268, RE: Noooooo!
I liked Worm. You log in consistently, and every time I saw you, you were having to patch yourself up after some scrape. Keep it up, good sir.
86258, You will be missed, sir.
Posted by Fulgrum on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really dug the polite nature of Jip. You were actually pleasant to be around, unlike some others, so I'm really sad to see you go.

Its pretty empty around these parts rightnow, so If you feel the urge at all, come back to the village. I know fulgrum would appreciate it :)

GLWTN
86271, RE: You will be missed, sir.
re Polite nature
For a long while there when I had a comfortable bankroll, when I killed someone, I actually gave some money back to the victim. I think for one shapeshifter I took 3 silver from his corpse and gave back a gold. It was a fun bit of rp.

re Return to the village
I like the village. There are aspects that are clumsy or intentionally vague so interpretation is required, but I see them as the necessary counterpart to a game which could easily be dominated by wanded air/offense shapeshifters and AP-led gank squads.

Keep the village alive for me. Getting recommendations and an interview was tough enough for Jip 240 hours ago, and it did not get any easier during my life.
86223, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
I started off with about 120 gold, and when that and the gold won from pk ran out, I said I'd delete.

I took covert and improved hide thinking that they should help keep me in shadows as a poisoner, and that they would be useful as a scout. For most of my life, there was no one to report to, and taking both covert and improved hide turned out to be a complete waste of thief points to supplement the sneaky-aspect of a scout. I took knife so I had an opener that didn't burn precious gold on all the poison-resistance races and occasionally poison-immune classes, but overall I wish I had gone the poisoner-thug route so I could keep people in combat with parting block.

My role was written to convey Jip's life-shaping experiences in a light-hearted, playful way in vein of Kipling's Just So Stories. It and my rp didn't seem to do much for the imms.

Yean, some day I hope to understand what you are looking for in a follower. I'm lost. I've tried three different characters, and none of them have clicked.

I came up with a few good poisoner tricks (pills of sleep/forget, suggest revert was an idea I shared with Sarux) of which I was proud, and I fared much better against invokers than I have in the past, but in the end I did not want to be mining gold, and I was tired of fighting all these shapeshifters whom I either destroyed or got destroyed by depending on what forms they had.
86229, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
Posted by Kearina on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
tried to get me hard, but never success.

your tricks was funny, from that time in the inn I'm turned nogive on, tho I dont know if this helps.

Last time at Voralian, where I recalled from imperials with 200hp and with fiend on me, you really had good chances!

Good luck with your next!
86245, I had planted it on you.
The give command brings a thief out of the shadows and many people don't allow it, and for a a non-thug thief surprise is everything.

And yes, I tried hard to kill you. I was willing to try my hand at fighting almost any enemy who didn't have the protection of an on-duty Tribunal (see above, "surprise is everything"). Failure rates on poison and the inability to apply poisons to a sleeping victim severely limited what I could before the target fled, recalled, or flew away. I was told it's a bug, but if so it's apparently caught up in the backlog.

I have to admit that I'd formed the impression that air forms are largely played by players with antisocial tendencies, and my opinion of thieves tends toward that conviction too. In my play of Jip, I tried to be aggressive without being a griefer, and I freely state that you come across as a decent person playing a decent character.

Thanks for our fights.
86234, Aww maan. You'll be missed, bud. Good times. nt
Posted by Dins on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
;)
86272, RE: Aww maan. You'll be missed, bud. Good times. nt
I was surprised when you finally managed to get an interview, you had waited what seemed like so long a time. Damn these cabal leaders who have a life outside of CF.

Make our guild proud man.
86242, MFER
Posted by Mardrin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So now we're down to 14 people - and I NEVER see any applicants. Darn you Jip, darn you!

Well, I liked Jip, and I appreciated your manner of speech and it's contrast against the gruffness of most of the Village. Good luck with your next, man.
86246, As I said in my post to Kearina
I wanted to play an atypical villager and an atypical thief, but after 250 hours of play you are the second person to respond to that non-archetype roleplay, the first being a herald shapeshifter who thanked me for keeping my promise and playing nice at an Inn event. I'm doing something wrong when I get more love from Herald mages than Battle imms.

My build was good for talking to the crickets; your combo is built for killing things. Keep doing your thing.
86247, RE: As I said in my post to Kearina
Posted by Sulye on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I wish you'd been able to kill/rob you-know-who. He certainly deserved it. After other-guy fulled you, I actually considered offering to suit you up "just because". Considering where you recalled, though, I doubt you'd have taken me up on the offer.
86248, Not to worry.
Some people are drawn toward that style of play, and they characteristically play builds that minimize the opportunities for paybacks; I'm just surprised he is in a cabal.

From a hit/dam perspective I was able to regear myself solo in about an hour, even though I was playing a class that isn't known for mobkilling. You can't let assholes get to you, and I didn't.
86414, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
Posted by Fjarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>My role was written to convey Jip's life-shaping experiences
>in a light-hearted, playful way in vein of Kipling's Just So
>Stories. It and my rp didn't seem to do much for the imms.

That concept was interesting for a role, but because those stories are so familiar, it was hard to actually distinguish Jip from the known fairy tale. I kind of saw what you might have been trying to do, but I don't think it worked.

I did like some of your "use their own magic against them" techniques, and was interested to see if you could pull it off without crossing the line.
86419, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Jip the Whisper
Posted by Yean on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Yean, some day I hope to understand what you are looking for
>in a follower. I'm lost. I've tried three different
>characters, and none of them have clicked.
>

Heh..I'm not sure who your other chars were..but Jip only visited the shrine I think once or twice..and didn't say much except crack some jokes :p What you could do next time if you're still interested is probably visit more often, have something to talk about the religion, and rp religion more. If it doesn't make sense to you still, playing an empowerment char might help! :) GLWYN.