Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Nyshvaar the Grand Master of Artistry
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=86140
86140, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Nyshvaar the Grand Master of Artistry
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Tue Sep 22 02:14:55 2009

At 1 o'clock AM, Day of the Great Gods, 5th of the Month of the Dragon
on the Theran calendar Nyshvaar perished, never to return.
Race:elf
Class:bard
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:207
86170, My Farewells
Posted by Magus_Guest on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, Nyshvaar was created so that I could get back into CF after a nearly year long hiatus while in Iraq. I wanted to go with something I was familiar with and could explore with (given how many things changed during that yearlong timeframe). I figured the Fortress would be the best place to get friendly and powerful allies--Yes, despite everyone thinking Fortress folks are cupcakes, there are actually a handful of competent ones in their ranks.

My last Elf Bard was Meyrshal, and a lot of things have changed since then for bard's in general. A big part of it was how people approached a fight with a bard. There is a much different mindset. Sometimes, symphonic echoes was enough to scare people off. Other times, dirge of solitude would do the trick. Also, I think people have better access to resist mental. I found that certain people were nearly impossible to distort, while others, it was very easy. The playerbase just seems more aware that a bard can turn the tide of a fight rapidly. But if they fail to do so in their "window of opportunity," then they have a drastically less effect.

I had my share of wins and losses. Bards, in my opinion, are far from overpowered, and far from underpowered. As a matter of fact, I think it is one of the best classes that has an entire array of tactical options. In the right hands, a bard is very survivable, and, to a lesser extent, deadly. I enjoy that a bard is a great group fighter, and less of a one-on-one fighter.

The only people that are seriously screwed by Bards are the really low intelligence races. I seemed to routinely destroy Orcs and Fire Giants. But anyone with a decent intelligence and resist mental, and it became very difficult to use the more sophisticated songs.

Overall, it's a fun class. They have their strengths and weaknesses just like anyone.

Farewells:

Tribunal: This cabal just isn't what it used to be. I honestly am having a difficult remembering any of you.

Vythigor: I thought you started out OK. But you changed drastically when you picked up Provost. I enjoyed challenging some of the Magistrates, yourself included. It was always my intention to fight corruption in the Spire--with the sphere of passion. But, I really, really felt that you and Messervy had an OOC connection of some kind. I was pretty much a shoe-in for Provincial. Then, without substantial evidence (believe me, I was watching very closely to my surroundings), you sided with Messervy. The worst part of it, was that before you logged on (as this situation happened literally 5-10 minutes before you logged on--coincidence?), Messervy said, and I quote, "Enjoy watching Voralian City." After a couple minutes of "discussing" the situation with the Provincials, I was moved to, ah-ha, Voralian City. I call #### and OOC cheating. And if you try to convince me otherwise, I'm likely not to believe you. But please prove me wrong.

Tribunal Lightwalkers: After removal from the Tribunal, and joining the Fortress, my view on Lightwalkers in Tribunal changed dramatically. I felt that you were subdued by inaction, and ultimately, swore an oath that meant you were OK with protecting evil, along with everyone else. That ended up not being OK for me in the long run. And I sort of adopted that feeling as I spent time in the Fortress, and grew more and more bitter as time went on. It really made me despise Arrna's "ruling" more and more.

Fortress:

Arrna - I hated the no breaking the law rule. Aside from that, I think you are fantastic. Always ready for a fight. Tough. Knowledgable. You also had a big part in me getting accepted into Fortress. I did feel as time went on though, that I proved myself enough to be Maran material. I was hoping you'd recommend me for it. Not sure if you did. But generally, if a leader gives the thumbs up, it happens.

Baerinika - Thanks for giving me a shot. Although I felt I got crapped on for a while (and throughout my time spent in the Fortress) because I didn't have any role. It seems like there is too much emphasis on having a role these days. But its your sandbox.

Padwei - Thanks for removing the troubadour edge. And thanks for talking with me and pointing me in the right direction to get into the Fortress.

Dupmasione - When I was in the Fortress as Kayella while Acvilar was around, I figured him to be perhaps the toughest Paladin I ever saw. Part of the reason for that was his knowledge of the Silent Tower. Without the Silent Tower, I think you're a very close second. You are perhaps the most dependable character in the Fortress. Great character with a lot of presence.

Lornkanamas - One of the best Acolytes I can think of off the top of my head. Just wish you had more of a spiritual leader presence. Or maybe I'm just not seeing that part of you? Would be cool to see you get a little more involved, and maybe try to start up some sort of quest. I think you're good, and on the verge of great. You just need something to really let yourself standout from the rest.

Castiel - A lot of heart, and also turned out to be more knowledgable than I originally thought. I think the first time we crossed paths was in one of the guilds. And we seemed to get along ever since then. Was good to meet you.

Frorania - I really didn't expect you to con die. When I saw that, it caught me by surprise. I had thought you were a pretty tough cookie. I enjoyed your robust personality. You brought a light hearted spirit to the Fortress.

Kearina - I just like your character. Full of enthusiasm. And always willing to help others. But you're an offense/air shapeshifter Scribe? Really?

Balten - I feel the same way about you that I do with Lornkanamas. I just feel that someone in a leader position needs to do something to try and separate themselves from the herd. But you are definitely a terrific Acolyte. Just enough fight in you that you don't come off as wuss. But enough humility to make your presence as an Acolyte standout.

I'm sure there are more Fortress members that I am missing. Writing farewells is a love/hate kind of thing. I always draw a blank...

As for enemies, I really never seemed to have a real nemesis.

I will say this though, Lornis is probably one of the toughest combinations of characters I've ever fought. Super offense, super defense(regen) and the ability to fly. Aside from Tarleton, you were one person who always has an escape route, whether that's eating your way through bodies, or flapping your wings away at just the right moment.

If you have anythign you want to comment on, or want me to comment on, please feel free to write!
86178, I liked your presence in the Fortress.
Posted by Baog on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You maintained an upbeat feel to your character despite have a few awful moments. At least until the eve you deleted. I had to laugh at how many times you revealed me in the wilds surrounding the Fortress. I am sad to see you go. So many are deleting but as it is the Fortress there are tons more ready to replace. Good luck with the next.

--Baog
86185, Confounded Elf!
Posted by Lornis on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Bah...I don't think I ever finally got you. You were as slippery as Tarleton and we had some really great fights. We might have gotten you in a group one time, but you were always very good at getting away. I never could find where you went to hang out in those off times. I had a feeling it might have been underground somewhere, but it doesn't matter. I guess it could have been the inn too. As you can imagine, I don't get invited in there often with the law on my tail.

Tough foe, good job.
86190, Adeg, chime in here, please.
Posted by Vythigor_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am glad you found a new place for Nyshvaar in the Fortress. As I mentioned, removing you from the Spire was the hardest thing Vythigor has ever done IC'ly and OOC'ly. I, in fact, subsequently ICly contact Marcatis and had he disagreed with my decision, I would have resigned/deleted immediately. He did not disagree. You would have been a Provincial without a doubt and I pushed for you, except for the fact that you ran your mouth and undermined me. You would have moved out of Voralian quite quickly as well, except that you would not drop your accusations. It was a crappy situation for me, regardless of how you look at it.

Now, I cannot prove, nor do I feel like I have an obligation to prove, anything. But let me just say this. Vythigor was my second hero ever (or even my first, I don't remember if my prior guy ever got to hero - he was close) and my first character in the last several years. I did not know a single person OOCly until a few people sent me a message on DIO's after Vythigor deleted. I don't really talk or keep in touch with those people much. Messervy and I, in game, certainly had an alliance... but he is not the one who did you in. Adeg witnessed everything that Messervy was telling me and pretty much confirmed to me that you were lying. That was the basis for your demotion to Voralian City.

I commend you greatly for sticking it out and making it in the Fortress. I liked Nyshvaar, regardless of how you felt of Vythigor. Good luck, mate!

Vythigor: I thought you started out OK. But you changed drastically when you picked up Provost. I enjoyed challenging some of the Magistrates, yourself included. It was always my intention to fight corruption in the Spire--with the sphere of passion. But, I really, really felt that you and Messervy had an OOC connection of some kind. I was pretty much a shoe-in for Provincial. Then, without substantial evidence (believe me, I was watching very closely to my surroundings), you sided with Messervy. The worst part of it, was that before you logged on (as this situation happened literally 5-10 minutes before you logged on--coincidence?), Messervy said, and I quote, "Enjoy watching Voralian City." After a couple minutes of "discussing" the situation with the Provincials, I was moved to, ah-ha, Voralian City. I call #### and OOC cheating. And if you try to convince me otherwise, I'm likely not to believe you. But please prove me wrong.
86194, For what its worth.
Posted by Nidblot on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
As provost before Vythigor i got several tells about all sort of #### Nyshvaar was doing in the cities..like entering guilds, sleeping people, singing tears, etc. I never had any evidence, but it certainly removed you from being a hot candidate for provincial. Funny thing is that in the beginning i heard nothing but good things about you, so you must have started with this mischief at hero ranks....
86230, Hope you liked the Lyre.
Posted by TMNS_lazy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had like 20 bard things in my ####ing inventory forever. That was the last of them, I believe.

PS Seems you came around to viewing goodies in Tribunal as Aeinrez did.
And, just to let you know, I came to Arrna when she first began implementing rules (which is super cool btw, more leaders should do this to distinguish their reigns so to speak) and told her under no circumstances was I going to follow the laws absolutely. And she was totally cool with that once I explained what that meant.

Not sure about now, but it seems to me if so many people have problems with this they should just talk to her.
86345, RE: My Farewells
Posted by Kearina on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I just love your char. Thanks for your help with my wands.

That time when you told me: Shame that you are not an elf. I thought you wanna merry me, but no :)

Good char, deadly and wise. Hope you will make it to Maran next time!
86167, Thanks for everything.
Posted by Cadothu on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From killing me thinking I was Drustrui (I was laughing after you explained yourself) to helping me find my wands (even though we found nothing).

I really liked you.
86171, RE: Thanks for everything.
Posted by Nyshvaar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Oh brother, I felt terrible about that incident! I was seriously cupping my head in my hands over that.

Secretly, I was hoping an Imm had seen what happened and reprimanded me in someway for it. That felt like a big turning point for Nyshvaar.

And you were easy to get along with. Thanks for not being tough on me about what happened. And I'm glad we turned out to be OK.
86160, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Nyshvaar the Grand Master of Artistry
Posted by Sulye on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really wanted to kill you.

Mostly because of what you said that one time we fought in the bandit camp.

That, and your calling me an idiot for deciding to attack you, instead of Scions, during a Scion raid on Fortress.
86162, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Nyshvaar the Grand Master of Artistry
Posted by Graatch on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>Mostly because of what you said that one time we fought in the
>bandit camp.

I read this too quickly, skimmed really, and what my mind saw was:

"Mostly because of what you said that one time, at band camp..."

Chuckeworthy.
86163, Probably
Posted by Dwoggurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fortlanders failed to divide "profit" at band camp and got angry at each other.
86169, No such thing as fortlander.
Posted by Graatch on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But it's sad that there's no such thing as a useful Dwoggurd post anymore.
86142, Are you *ucking kidding me?
Posted by Arrna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Dammit, thought you had a long future left in the fortress. Good stuff managing to turn your self around after getting booted from the spire. You did a good job as a squire from what I saw, and no doubt you weren't that far from being maraned. The only bad thing I ever heard about you were that stuff in the village, but that was all good once I got to hear the full story.

Anyways! Good job! Nice char! A shame you're deleting...

I hope you come back soon, see you in the fields!

btw, why the delete?
86154, You were tough.
Posted by Kalisda on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I did not fight against you too often, but there were a few times. I think you always had the upper hand no matter how I prepped. Elven bards are just hard to fight as a non-elven bard I suppose, and some of the edges available (I'm guessing a romantic from what I saw?) seem like they could make an elf fortress bard really tough for an evil bard to fight, though I don't know if you had them. It seems like any maran would take them if they could.

Hope to see your next wandering abouts.
86172, My deletion...
Inevitably, I deleted because I ate an unfun death. And Talund felt it necessary to take as much as he could carry for whatever reason, I don't care. I actually didn't lose much. Maybe 5 or 6 pieces of equipment? Most of it could be replaced (though maybe not my harp or amathylar very easily).

What was really the deciding factor was waiting around to become a Maran. My enemies have spells that give them 5, 6 and even 700 extra hps. They have auto-trip. They have a cabal soften spell (sigil of pain). And what do I have? Detect evil and protection? Sorry, it's just not enough to compete with the big timers. Especially when I was competing against them on a routine basis. Waiting to get full powers in Fortress is a real drag. And it won't ever change, unless the cabal changes entirely.
86173, RE: My deletion...
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>My enemies have spells that give them 5, 6 and
>even 700 extra hps. They have auto-trip. They have a cabal
>soften spell (sigil of pain). And what do I have? Detect evil
>and protection? Sorry, it's just not enough to compete with
>the big timers.

And zeal, flight, fire protection, eyes of flame, and lightforge are going to make the difference?

Zeal - you're a bard, so your damage output isn't coming from melee.

Flight - available in potion form. Mostly moot unless you were dying to thieves/assassins who caught you by surprise.

Fire protection - Really? Were people nova-ing you to death?

Eyes - useful, sure. Against like...four characters. And I have to imagine that, as a bard, you were pretty well protected against sleep already.

Lightforge - see comment about zeal. Also, how often do you figure you would have removed Amathylar in order to wield a lightforged weapon?

Pardon me for saying so, but it sort of sounds as if you deleted because your ego couldn't handle being a squire for so long.

To whatever extent you were unable to compete as a Squire, I don't think being a full maran would have changed anything.
86174, RE: My deletion...
Disagree. 51 hour flight is great for a lot of reasons. If you don't know what they are already, then something is wrong.

Zeal is nothing to scoff at. It's a nice little bonus, especially for an Elf with swiftstrike and swiftblade edge. With zeal and battaglia, you're looking at an extra 20hit/dam. I'll take it.

Eyes of flame is more useful than you're giving it credit for.

Again, a silver lightforge weapon on an Elf with swiftstrike and swiftblade edge adds to the melee output you're capable of. Good against mobs too. People tend to downplay that killing mobs is a huge part of CF. In order for my characters to be successful in my mind, they have to be good at killing mobs and surviving/impacting PK. I like well-rounded characters. Plus I had what, six progging items? Would've been nice to have another.

And yes, I think being a Maran establishes you from Squire. Pretty sure I paid my dues 50 hours ago as a Squire.

Think what you will. I have already formed my opinion. Agree to disagree.
86175, RE: My deletion...
If the system were such that marans and squires had identical powers, and getting maran were purely an honorary thing to designate a position of leadership and respect within the cabal, I'm thinking you'd still have deleted over being stuck at squire.
86176, RE: My deletion...
Think whatever you want. Maybe it was just time to go?

I don't really look at it that way. Something became unfun for me. And I chose to move on to other things. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
86177, Is that so wrong though?
Posted by Java on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you spend a significant amount of time as a hero Squire, you're basically being told by the Imms that you aren't a particularly good character.

Let's say the Squire/Maran thing didn't exist. And at 200 hours into the character, he got "An Immortal tells you 'Sorry, your character is mediocre at best, will never get leader or even be taken seriously'" Would you still give him #### for deleting?

That's basically what he's being told by being stuck at Squire after 200 hours. I can't say how much of that was as a Squire (maybe he was a late inductee?), but for a well-established relatively long-lived character to be stuck as a Squire is a slap in the face, period.
86180, Hrm, you forgetting that he was in the spire first...
Posted by Arrna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
... and he was already at hero when he became a squire. Anyways, if things do become boring, of course one should delete and find something better to do! :D (If they can't find the fire again that is.)
86184, 200, probably but
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
what about 50? Does changing that number to 50 change your mind?
86186, RE: Is that so wrong though?
I wasn't necessarily making a value judgment about "deleting because you're still a squire".

I was just trying to point out that I think that was his real reason for deleting, not "I can't compete with squire powers, but I could if I had maran powers."

But if I were to actually make a value judgment on the first thing, I'd say its bad. What does deleting change? If there's something you don't get that's keeping you stuck at Squire, how does deleting change that? If you ever play another Fort character the same thing will probably happen again. Why not try to correct whatever you're doing wrong with your current Squire character?

Or, maybe you're not Maran yet because you're just not killing enough people. If that's the case, then you shouldn't take it as a personal slight. If that's where the "bar" is set, then try to improve your PK skills so you can make the cut. Deleting isn't conducive to that.