Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AGE DEATH) [TRIBUNAL] Vythigor the Dedicated Student of Law, Provost Magistrate
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=81967
81967, (AGE DEATH) [TRIBUNAL] Vythigor the Dedicated Student of Law, Provost Magistrate
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed Jun 24 16:35:34 2009

At 2 o'clock AM, Day of the Great Gods, 19th of the Month of the Ancient Darkness
on the Theran calendar Vythigor perished, never to return.
Race:half-drow
Class:healer
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:TRIBUNAL, the Blood Tribunal
Hours:484
82060, THOUGHTS
Posted by Vythigor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I also thought I'd post some of my thoughts on Tribunal and the healer class.

TRIBUNAL:

Great Cabal, yet it appears not to be very popular. I understand the desire of others to kill in towns, but here you have an opportunity to hunt criminals in your jurisdiction and outside for pretty much any reason. I think an active tribunal should not have a dearth of enemies, it does tend to get streaky though.

Vigilance is buggy with detect invis. Not unbearably so, but you can have vigilance up and still not see invisible. Not a big deal unless you really want to spend time looking into it.

HEALERS:

Great class. It is entirely possible to play solo healer at hero. Let's just say that I could kill a lot of things I did not think I could kill. Obviously the midnight dragon, but I could also kill Ihn (whatever that mob's name in Mortron is) that carries spider-silk leggings solo. I could also kill the skeletal spider and some other very difficult to solo mobs. I think that's quite a feat. I am curious to see if dark pact on evil healers really enhances your killing ability.

Note to new healers: Avoid being a heal-bot-bitch. It's a thin line, but try to walk it.

Note to all healers: Don't hoard gear. Get a nice set and use it, but don't have 100 things in your inventory. There is no need!

Note to playerbase: There is a long lag between some of the spell casts. I am not AFK, it just takes time to spell yourself up. Please be patient with some of healer abilities.

I have a few suggestions/hopes/questions as to the class.

Aegis: Consider adding resist positive to aegis. I think this will decrease the amount of complaining about wrath weapons and will certainly provide a counter to a giant wielding two two-handed black swords and dealing more damage than Humansunders! Alternatively, consider giving good healers resist negative, evil healers resist positive, and neutral healers resist polarity which is a random positive/negative resist similar to neutral healer's protection spell. Paladins rip up evils anyway, so I don't think resist to wrath would really hurt that much. Just a thought.

Ardent Faith: Why such high mana cost? It seems to only very marginally lower the duration of maledictions. To be honest I never understood how to use it well or found a good situation to use it to justify the mana cost.

Spirit Shepherd: This probably won't fly, but consider a successful spirit shepherd giving back taht 1/3rd lost con.

Spiritual Salve: I'm embarassed to say I could not figure out how to use it.

Blade Barrier: Consider allowing sleeping with it, but probably overpowered.

Purity of Flesh/Purity of Blood: Extreme mana cost for very short duration. Perhaps make it an immunity for that duration and have a mechanic similar to invoker shields? Alternatively, and I think a better solution, is lower the mana cost. To be honest anything over 50 mana is too much for these abilities. Purity of Mind, on the other hand, certainly has its uses against bards, so I treat it differently from Purity of Flesh/Purity of Blood.

Bulwark of Faith: I know it's great and I understand its uses but it's too short and too costly. I would consider lowing the mana cost.

Soul Citadel: Great ability, very situational, but in its case I can certainly see the need for high mana cost.

Miraculous Foresight: I could never justify 250 mana on a spell that lasts two hours. It's not like you can see an assassination coming.

I guess based on the above, the one "complaint" (not really a complaint thus "") that I have is that after healing sleep at level 31, the upper tier healer abilities lack the "Wow, this is amazing factor". Having said that, all the tools are very useful. Again, great class. It can be offensive but only in the right hands with the right setup.
82062, RE: THOUGHTS
Posted by Daurwyn2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Vigilance and detect invis:
You don't get the effect from vigilance if you already have it from some other source. When the other source wears off, you still don't have it from vigilance. It's easy enough to get around.

Miraculous foresight:
Bear in mind you're a trib. Other people can't see the assassin waiting at the entrance to their cabal, for example. I'd definitely use it if I knew an assassin was on and I'd been pinned in my cabal for a while.

I'd also use it if I was leaving an area where I'd been ranking, that an assassin was likely to step in and out of to stalk.

I suspect the duration would also increase as your supp percentage does.
82175, RE: THOUGHTS
Posted by Zakke on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Some really great points you brought up there. I do really enjoy the class when I do find time to play. There is a lot of different things you can do solo and can get yourself out of darn near any situation. Good luck with your next.

Zakke
81980, GOODBYES
GENERAL GOODBYES

Immortals: Like I said, thank you for a wonderful game. I'll make sure to buy my own PBF and start contributing by buying a couple of PBFs a month for characters I really liked. The game you run is amazing. Thanks for all your hard work.

Playerbase: Like I often preached for the Spire "It is the diversity of the Magistrates that makes the Spire strong and tall." It is thus diversity of the playerbase that makes this game so much fun. Without bad behaviour, there would not be good behaviour, and vice versa. I enjoyed interacting with everyone I came across... whether we were butting heads is a different issue... but it was fun. Thank you to all for your interactions with me!

Looting: I really did not loot. Did I get looted? Mostly no. To be honest, I should have been looted more and I probably should have looted more. Trinkets are just trinkets!!!

SPECIFIC GOODBYES

Immortals:

Iunna: Thank you for the empowerment and thank you for playing along the curse tamer theme. The character idea came from the "Ordeal of the Blade" from some traditional African societies. I really enjoyed roleplaying a castaway turned priest with a curse that needed taming. I realize that I was not a perfect fit for your religion. I was really a one-Sphere type of an empoweree, so I thank you for empowering me all the way and letting me do my thing. I was hoping to do more with you but I understand that your other followers had a greater fit with your religion than me. I tried to get involved in the wyrm quest, but alas. Note to self: I'll try to do better with consistent role entries. Having just a few chapters is a poor form for a character that was around for almost 500 hours.

Marcatis: Thank you for the challenging and intelligent interactions. You really pushed me to my limits of understanding the game, the laws, the Spire, Thera, everything. Very intellectual and very much fun. Words cannot describe my gratitude for your guidance and the opportunities you gave me. I suppose I owe you a small apology for age-dying a bit earlier than expected.

Tribunal:

Nidblot: Marcatis is right, you WERE too nice. Thanks, bud, for your help and showing me the ropes. Well played. Class act. Great work.

Adeglicfh: Enjoyed serving along your side. You are very bright and provided me so much guidance, it's not even funny. I listened to you in almost all respects. Great work on the mummy as well, you definitely take a lot more risks than some other undead, and I think as a result you are better recieved from power-gaming perspective.

Shalsad: Man, you were a handful (in a good way). Our relationship has come a long way with me getting you killed in my younger years by not knowing how to deal with a snare and then trying to restrain you from dissolving the relationship with the Village in my later years. You are certainly the strongest PK'er I've met as Vythigor. Keep it up!

Jedidiah: I had some hesitations about making you a Provincial and you proved me wrong in every respect. You are doing very well, keep it up. What I really liked about you is that you were very independent, doing your own thing.

Drougum: Lotsa heart, lotsa guts. I wish you were more conservative sometimes and expected sanctuary and heals less. But you are a great player and I really enjoyed serving along your side. Good luck as a Provincial.

Nyshvaar: Probably the worst OOC day I've had was when I removed you from the Spire. But you left me no choice. Thank you for challenging me, thank you for making my choice so agonizing. Great RP. I hope you find your way back to the Spire somehow.

Other Magistrates: Thank you for making the Spire fun. There is a lot of good blood there. (I cannot write individual goodbyes but I really was proud of every single one of you.) A lot of players I think are relatively new, but you will learn quickly! Elldarin, you are hillarious and your understanding of the laws is superb! Keep it up.

Outlanders:

Calue: Well played. I still don't know whether standing in Galadon shooting arrows at the Captain during retrieval is a crime!!!

Mreash: Mre! Thank you for all the fun fights. I got you a couple of times in a very cheap way (you flee at writhing to get perma-lagged by a duergar thief right outside of the city) and I am sorry for that OOCly.

Urulkaan: Rock on. Great things from what I've seen. Had fun fighting you and I'm sorry OOCly about that mob death on the mount.

Duarte: DEADLY combination of forms. Wow. I hope you reach greatness with them.

Pique: You were a beast.

Lexingtona: I'll miss my sister of Iunna.

Inwe: Fun fights. Sorry for taunting you.

Slivil: YOu get an honorable mention here.

Other Outlanders: I liked most of you. :)

Village:

Woldrun: I am really glad I got a chance to know you. You are a very good player and a very good leader. A lot to learn from you.

Byren: I said my piece in your goodbyes. Butted heads ICly, you were amazing in my mind OOCly.

Susubienko: I wish we got to interact a bit more. I thought you played very well and were very hard to catch from magistrate-WANTED perspective, one thing I'll say though, you really did not play a true netural, evil neutral was really more like you, but that's none of my business I suppose.

Dotran: Good job getting me that one time.

Other Villagers: One thing I'll say is that Villagers are "the dominant strategy" thus everyone develops a counter to that or a "metagame" which as of today seems to be a bard or an offense/air shifter. Be proud of that. You are tough as nails and everyone is afraid of you. Not afraid afraid, but I better not mess with him unprepared afraid.

Fortress:

Arrna: Thank you for everything. Great friend. Great ally. Great leader. Enjoyed interacting with you.

Zaknifal: I'll echo others that I hope it's not the player bleeding through. You epitimized a Maran in my mind and you did not put up with any of Vythigor's ####. :) Great work!

Eldarwen: Great character. Thank you for your friendship and thank you for kicking my ass.

Edit: Kasir: good work, very skilled thief, really enjoyed your view of good/evil/neutral.

Empire:

Ahtieli: Awesome character. Note to playerbase: See if you can really try to get to know her. Her RP is superb and she is generally just a class act. That said, I stayed away from you to avoid getting tagged as an Empire pocket healer. I had much respect for you.

Linden: Thanks for showing me around. Some awesome deaths we've had.

Zwerg: Same as Linden.

Dolce: Good stuff!

Nexus and unaffiliated neutrals:

I really did not interact with you much. Vythigor had a strong distrust of the Nexuns and generally stayed away. If I'm forgetting someone here, I'm sorry. I liked Soash and I liked Slakken.

Hachmael: I cannot believe you auto'ed. I was so mad at you!!! I owe you quite a bit.

Scions and unaffiliated evils:

Dierj: Great ally, tough opponent.

Mizheng: Wish I got to know you better.

Caztor: Where you would fly to me and sniff me around and then decide whether to kill me or not was awesome. Great character.

Messervy: Rock on. Thanks for showing me around.

Ikanu: Great RP, thanks for showing me around. I really thought you deleted too soon.

Sulzaen: Saw you a bit at first, but not as much later on. Hoped to interact more. Everything I heard about you was good.

Tarrizkin: You were my "brother" for quite some time. Then our times did not match up. I had a blast with you. From exploration perspective, no one showed me more than you did. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Victacar: Great character. Thanks for hanging out with me.

Wazglarg: Awesome orc.

Heralds:

Tellik: Thanks for running the quests.

Nim: I am sorry I won't be able to participate in your event. I am sure Adeg will!

Edika: Enjoyed your company, thanks.

Fye: Enjoyed your company as well. I was hoping to do more with you but never got a chance.

I AM SURE I AM FORGETTING A LOT OF PEOPLE. Please write and I would be happy to share my thoughts. There are so many people that had an impact on Vythigor that I cannot remember or name them all here. I am sure I'll remember 20 more names tomorrow morning.

Again, thanks for all the fun! I will post my thoughts on healers and Tribunal in a separate thread.

P.S.: On my CF history. I tried it for a few months in 1997. I then had a couple of lowbies (under 30) in 1998 or so. I played very briefly a couple of years ago. This was my first TRULY involved character though I've played a healer to hero once before years ago. So I felt like a kid with a bit of understanding of grammar but no knowledge of the vocabulary. I think I learned a few new words now.
81981, RE: GOODBYES
Posted by Susu on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought you did a fine job as magistrate and provincial (I was gone by the time you were provost I think). Having played several tribunals and at least one provost, I have some idea what the difficulties are and you handled them well, at least as far as I saw.

I'm curious why you think Susu was evil rather than neutral though. It can't be use of foul language, and other than that I don't really understand the comment. She was very focused in her hunts, only her stated enemies. She bypassed you and other people all the time, even though they were after her for being flagged. I think it was you who said this on my own thread but that got locked, so maybe you can expand here. I'm interested. And of course, GLWYN!
82084, RE: GOODBYES
"I'm curious why you think Susu was evil rather than neutral though. It can't be use of foul language, and other than that I don't really understand the comment. She was very focused in her hunts, only her stated enemies. She bypassed you and other people all the time, even though they were after her for being flagged. I think it was you who said this on my own thread but that got locked, so maybe you can expand here. I'm interested."

I think the foul language had a bit to do with it. We had two major interactions. One was when you were an always hunted criminal at your level 35 and there was a lot of mage filth this and mage filth that (which I thought was solid RP, by the way). Another was in Iunna's shrine during the quest. You just felt so cold and distant and calculating and I guess the word I am looking for "evil". I think my view of true neutral may be skewed... because my most interactions of true neutrals were shifter gnomes... so I am not saying you really went out of bounds in any way... I was just a bit surprised to find out you were neutral/neutral. I think the fact taht everyone I grouped with to help them level was afraid of you did not help that image. But again, as I mentioned, excellently played character and very influential. Just vile!!!
82122, RE: GOODBYES
>I think the foul language had a bit to do with it. We had two
>major interactions.

Heh. One day when you have some time, do a search for an old tribunal named kantherion. Paladin. You'll see more foul language than you can shake a stick at.

I think maybe the disconnect is that evil needs to be, well, evil, looking for power over others, or taking pleasure in giving pain or suffering, entirely about self interest, those sorts of things. None of which was Susu. In fact, I kinda think of her as a maran but with a different battle.

Just my opinion.

And thank you for responding, appreciate it. And as I said in the first post, you did everything right as far as I saw for your role and position. You carved a niche for yourself even in the shadows of some big names at the time like Iktul and Nidblot and Adeg. Well done.
81982, Alas.
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I kept thinking I should touch base with you more often since you
were doing so solidly on the Tribunal side of things, but it just
never happened. You definitely weren't a religion kid as you said,
but I hope you had fun just the same.
82085, RE: Alas.
Again, thanks for everything including the empowerment. I tried to get War incorporated with Poetry into Fire but I just could not conceptualize it. I am curious to talk to you about all of this one day. I suppose Fire cleanses the enemies in the path of War and then comes the Poetic dance through the flames, but that's the only angle that I could think of taking (and not as a healer) at your religion. I am sure there are a million more I am missing here.

I thought you were very encouraging and understanding and allowed complete RP freedom without too many boundaries. I will undoubtedly have another follower!
81983, Nothing but good things to say
Posted by Mreash on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Although now I won't get to try an interesting attacks due to your little gate trick :)

We had a lot of fighting back and forth, almost lighthearted really for the most part. We knew there wasn't a whole lot that one could do to the other. However once you got lieutenants it got quite a bit uglier for my side. You will be missed as far as enemies go, but raiding will be considerably easier now. :)
82086, RE: Nothing but good things to say
So if you set a snare in room X and wait in the open in room X and I gate to you, do I get ensnared? Or do I have to move into that room? Also, are there any one-way gate no recall rooms? That would be nasty!

Enjoyed fighting you, was illuminate/curse/rip at least a bit annoying?

I really think healers should get blind!!!
82088, RE: Nothing but good things to say
Posted by Mreash on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't know about gating to a snare, but I had planned to wait in a cave and collapse the ceiling then insects.

Illuminate - little annoying, mostly because other tribs are after me then as well.
curse - not really annoying
rip - A bit troublesome, made me avoid metabolic quickening at times.

Blind - I can run most places blind :)
82090, RE: Nothing but good things to say
Insects are brutal. *shiver*
81985, A Little sooner then expected.
Posted by Adeglicfh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were someone I always like seeing logon, not cause you were a healer, but beacuseof the interactions we had. We always seemed to have a problem come up and have to work it out together. I'm glad you were able to get help from what I said on matters. As I was able to see the other side alot of the time, from what you said. I'm really going to miss seeing you in the Spire. Think you were one of the few that came into the spire around the sametime as me? I think alot of the Spire increase in numbers was mostly in part because of you, You pulled people in around you, and they wanted to be around. Atleast that what I think.

I had a feeling from the start you were not the most experienced player, but Man by the end you were showing me alot of things. And your Rp was solid. Thanks for helping with the whole mummy thing, Saved me alot of and trouble.

I'm glad you enjoyed Vythigor as much as you did. Hopefully you'll be back real soon with something.

I know a while back there was something I wanted to ask you, but I've forgotten what it was. maybe it will come to me later on.

82087, RE: A Little sooner then expected.
Well if you think of what you wanted to ask me, you can always PM me. You were pretty awesome. I have some IC questions for you which I'll post when you die (which I hope is NOT SOON). I am glad I think I had that charismatic pull, I'll try to recreate this pull with my new project but I think it will be much much harder.
81986, Good char! Come back with something good as well n/t
Posted by Linden on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
81992, Well done
Posted by Dragomir2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I interacted with you with a couple lowbies I had. Made me think about the Spire again... You seemed young for an age death, or is it just me.
82092, Dooo Eeettt, come to the Spire!
nt
82022, That was waaay to quick!
Posted by Arrna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ooh man! I thought you had at least a few more hours left. :(

I really enjoyed interacting with you, ALOT. And we became less and less friendly, even though we still were friend, we were far to different in belifs to stay friends. Had you lived longer, the friendship would most likely have faded.

I'll say more once Arrna passes. (shouldn't be anytime soon though.)
82089, RE: That was waaay to quick!
I really ran into some serious obstacles trying to bring the light into the Spire, I wish I had more success but the stars were just not aligning. Thanks for playing along with me there!
82026, RE: GOODBYES
Posted by Drougum on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well ####... Damn it man, I remember growing up and learning with my character, you helped out so much it wasn't even funny. I'd be learning somewhere and you'd be like well hey, you got a decent group, lets go to the skeletons and I'm like rank 30 something at the time. Good times indeed. Especially when we finally made it to hero that was fun. Loved pulling out raids with you and together we kicked some ass. The last interaction we had was awesome cause for awhile I've been feeling a bit down with Drougum, but now I'm kinda sad cause you died... thats just not cool. Hurry up and come on back :D. glwyn
82091, RE: GOODBYES
I remember that, 2200 exp/kill every minute or so. Five levels in what 45-60 minutes. Good times! Enjoyed interacting with you. I think you were the first one to show me the Elemental Temple.
82029, RE: GOODBYES
Posted by Nyshvaar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm only going to say this once, and if I'm wrong, then I apologize. From my POV, there was never a 100% guarantee that you knew that I went into the thieves guild to reveal Messervy. I instantly suspected OOC connection. Messervy claimed I would be moved to Voralian City- low and behold, I was moved to Voralian City. It looked extremely questionable from where I was sitting.

I did like Vythigor though- prior to that experience. I thought you were a good Tribunal, and you took care of Tribs as often as you could. Good healer, too.
82050, RE: GOODBYES
Heh, Drougum, Shalsad, others all came into the assassin guild for no good reason, just because they were frustrated by me. Drougum came and patted Susu on the head, nothing else. Shalsad came and fogged. I even wrote notes to Marcatis, but of course nothing happened. That's part of why I don't like Tribunals anymore.
82098, RE: GOODBYES
No OOC here. Truly. Like I said, it sucked removing you from my perspective. You would have worked your way up from Voralian City in a matter of days. Once all the involved delete, I'll explain a few IC things that I knew. There was a lot of leader chat going on over the LD channel.
82040, RE: GOODBYES
Posted by marcatis on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Congratulations on what I would say was a very successful character.
Over the life of Vythigor I saw a lot of serious and real improvements in both player skill and Tribunalness. My only real regret is that you dropped so soon--competent liked leaders are few and far between.

Anyway, I think we had some good talks and times and you did a good job of what was set before you. Best of luck--please let me know if you have any questions.

82080, You should have extended his life dammit!!!
Posted by Arrna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I wasn't done with him! :( Aah well... hehe
82083, RE: You should have extended his life dammit!!!
I actually shorted my life a bit. You'll be happy to know, I went out with a dead elven skin on my neck!!! I am swamped at work, I owe a bunch of folks a reply here.
82049, Nicely done
Posted by Nian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We didn't get to travel nearly as much as I would have liked OOC. Nian felt indifferent at best about Spire guys like you, but you were alright I guess :P

Very nice character, I hope I'll see you again soon with the next
82093, RE: Nicely done
Your chat in which you helped me understand Zaknifal was very helpful. When you and Kasir went out, Fortress really faded for me. Then Arrna stepped it up!!!
82051, Nac! Not Nim!
Posted by Nacklewig on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Blarg, it's Nacklewig! Heh, seriously though, I liked what I saw from you. Very well played and I thought that event was going to be right up your alley and you were going to do good things for Tribunal with it. Guess it wasn't meant to be. Being Provost can be a tough job and I think you did a good job with it. Again, well played and I wish we could have gotten to hang out a bit more, but our characters were/are pretty different on how they look at things, so it might not have worked out. Keep the quality coming!

Nac
82094, RE: Nac! Not Nim!
Sorry, I was thinking of you but somehow typed in Nim!!! I really liked of you what I saw. I don't know how many enemies you've made but how awful is the blunt vuln? Is there any way around it other than Tiamat's skin (which is not killed often as you can imagine)?
81968, RE: (AGE DEATH) [TRIBUNAL] Vythigor the Dedicated Student of Law, Provost Magistrate
What a wonderful ride this has been. I will write some very long goodbyes, but I must wrap up a project at work so the goodbyes will not come until a bit later. I wish to thank the immortals first and foremost for the wonderful game. The amount of what I am sure at times feels like thankless effort that you put in is incredible. Thank you to you all from the bottom of my heart. Thank you Iunna for the empowerment. Thank you Marcatis for the talks and guidance. Like I said, more to come (probably more than you will care to read - thoughts on the class, thoughts on the Spire, you name it).

I welcome all feedback and accept criticism with an open mind. My goal with this character was treat others (within RP bounds) the way I wished to be treated myself. I want to think I scratched the surface of that a bit.

See you in the fields.

Vythigor
81970, Thumbs up.
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really liked everything I saw of this character.
82095, Appreciate it!
nt
81976, RE: (AGE DEATH) [TRIBUNAL] Vythigor the Dedicated Student of Law, Provost Magistrate
Posted by Edika on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You almost made me think about making another Trib. Awesome char. Loved talking to you.

GLWYN