Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectDeleted Svarmungadr
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=79919
79919, Deleted Svarmungadr
Posted by Valkenar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Level 30 cloud axe-spec berserker applicant.

Well this was my attempt to finally play a villager and find out if db really is overpowered or not. Sadly I never made it in, so the jury is still out. My enthusiasm for the role and desire to make myself play a kind of character I never have kept me going through a pile of mob-deaths, but enough was enough. Once I hit hero I don't mind dieing at all, but losing even one point of con sub-hero pretty much always makes me delete. The fact that I lost two con and still played was a testament to my interest in playing this guy.

It was always a long-shot getting this character to hero, because I generally hate warriors, dislike neutral alignment (because it extends ranking) and loathe limitted ranking options. For me the most important component of character succes is how quickly I can power rank to hero and begin playing for real. If I play CF anymore I'm going to roll another villager, but this time I'm not applying until I hit hero. That said, I'm kind of worried that maybe I just don't like the game very much anymore. Which is a sad thing to realize after 12 years or so. Especially when there's no other rp/pk venue in the world, as far as I can tell.

79928, So I did one of your interviews
Posted by Malakhi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And I liked the backstory a lot. I was looking forward to your presence around the cabal. But maybe I'm just a sucker for cloud giants from the North. :P

Also, if you really want to test your "is DB overpowered" hypothesis, then you HAVE to go through the 20s-30s as a BattleRager. It's all part and parcel of the complaining and you'll never be stronger.. or (at times) weaker.

Well. Good luck with your next.
79922, Too bad
Posted by Baerinika on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You started off cool, and I liked that you seemed really into my religion. Saw you were back and was trying to make the time to run back into you but...not meant to be.

Taking huge breaks on characters usually ruins them for me, I lose the feel for them and get really bored. Sometimes it's easiest to just hit that delete delete.

Hope you try the religion again!
79927, RE: Too bad
>You started off cool, and I liked that you seemed really into
>my religion. Saw you were back and was trying to make the
>time to run back into you but...not meant to be.

Yeah, I enjoyed our first chat and was looking forward to the whole neutral follower tension. I even came up with a second purpose which was to save my people from the trolls which I thought was a good baerinika-svarmungadr mix.

>Taking huge breaks on characters usually ruins them for me, I
>lose the feel for them and get really bored. Sometimes it's
>easiest to just hit that delete delete.

Yeah I was feeling a bit off for a while, but I came back into it pretty well. I think it did hurt my speech pattern though, and it's possible if I hadn't gotten busy that the extra attachment would've kept me going. Ah well.
79921, My apologies.
Posted by Belik on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I hate seeing anyone die to a mobile and take the experience loss. Heck, I think I've had four already. I only wanted to split you up from your group and found that to be a pretty devious, though also obvious, plan.

It worked, for what it is worth.

Revenge has been had. No more Tqion and Svarmungadr.
79925, No worries
>I hate seeing anyone die to a mobile and take the experience
>loss.

No animosity towards you at all. You didn't do anything wrong. Even if you had been trying to get me killed by a mob, which I didn't think you were, it would've been fine. While exp penalties suck, I think that running people into tough mobs is a perfectly reasonable strategy.
79920, RE: Deleted Svarmungadr
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Once I hit hero I don't mind dieing at all, but losing
>even one point of con sub-hero pretty much always makes me
>delete.

That being the case, you basically can't play Battle. You *will* die.

As an alternative to deleting, you might consider wearing some +con gear.
79924, Quick question
Posted by Rorute on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is probably answered somewhere but I've never been able to find it. An example will probably best illustrate my question. Let's say you're a human, and your con is at 14. You have a bunch of +con gear that pushes it to 20. Is it true that when you level you will only gain health as though you had 19 con?

I'm almost positive I heard this at one point, anyway.
79930, RE: Quick question
> Let's say you're a human, and your con is at 14. You
>have a bunch of +con gear that pushes it to 20. Is it true
>that when you level you will only gain health as though you
>had 19 con?

No.
79942, Wouldn't it be fairer to say "Not anymore"?
Posted by Theerkla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Pretty sure that's a somewhat recent (last 3 years) change.
79926, RE: Deleted Svarmungadr
>That being the case, you basically can't play Battle. You
>*will* die.

Well this time I was hanging in there more than I usually do. Like I say I lost a couple con and wasn't really expecting to delete. It's never a simple thing. Here's a more complete list of factors:

I mob-died.

It was my 7th death (Or maybe 10th but I don't think so).

I died in a stupid place you can't go as a ghost so I was going to have to wait at the pit or just regear.

Woldrun is on vacation, so no induction in sight.

I had wimped out of a few sure-loss fights (not defending vs a shaman, which is basically guaranteed death to a village app cloud warrior and also against a gnome swinging ***devastates*** against me) and fled early on some fights that I was at a large disadvantage but maybe could've pulled out with luck. This all felt like bad rp to me.

I was having trouble being consistent with my speech pattern. Overall dug my role but was struggling with that.

I stupidly got all my explore/observe exp before getting lore, so I lost all those nice bonuses. Now that I realize it's not retroactive I'll never explore before getting lore again.

Generally I do lose about 1 con (usually just barely) before hero and stay with it. At the rate I was going I was going to lose more like 5 or 6, which is just not okay.

As for not dieing, I disagree. First, like I said I can just join at hero and not spend 56 hours being no-magic, no-healing, many enemies. Granted I won't have detect invis, but so what?

Even if I were to join early again I'd be sure to minimize my applicant time. Besides, it comes down to luck. Find a good couple ranking groups and you zip up to hero quick even with a terrible race (exp-wise) like cloud giant. For example, if I had been able to play while Lohik and Dargrath were power-ranking up this never would've happened. But I had to log off and they quickly leveled past me.

>As an alternative to deleting, you might consider wearing some
>+con gear.

Like rorute, my understanding is that this doesn't really work. As far as I know, gear stats count for half as much as real stats. At least in some circumstances, and since there's no way of actually knowing how your con is affecting your level gains, I can't test it.
79931, Help stats
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
level gains are based on natural stats or adjusted stats (whichever is highest)
79932, RE: Deleted Svarmungadr

>As for not dieing, I disagree.

You can disagree with me, but consider that my opinion is based on playing Battle a bunch of times and yours isn't.

>First, like I said I can just
>join at hero and not spend 56 hours being no-magic,
>no-healing, many enemies. Granted I won't have detect invis,
>but so what?

I'm not sure I understand you here. There are two possible ways to take this:

1) You plan to use magic the whole way up, then switch gears and declare applicant at hero. Obviously it depends on the leader, but I think you'd have an excellent chance of being an applicant for 100+ hours before being inducted that way -- or worse. Battle imms have been known to intervene in cases like these in ways that would not make you happy.

2) You plan to not use magic, but still power to hero. I think in that case you'll still both take a bunch of deaths on the way up that magic or Battle powers might spare you. And again, I think you're going to spend a lot longer than normal as an applicant.

The best solution to any of this, honestly, is to escape the mindset that the game starts at hero.
79939, RE: Deleted Svarmungadr
>You can disagree with me, but consider that my opinion is
>based on playing Battle a bunch of times and yours isn't.

Fair enough. Then again, how often do you try to hero without fighting anyone?

>1) You plan to use magic the whole way up

No, I'm a good roleplayer. I wouldn't do that. Although there are angles of conversion to the cause.

>2) You plan to not use magic, but still power to hero. I
>think in that case you'll still both take a bunch of deaths on
>the way up that magic or Battle powers might spare you.

Well maybe, but maybe not. A cloud giant warrior doesn't have any natural enemies. If hate magic but don't do anything but rank, who is going to bother coming after me? Sure, some evils will just attack stuff. But if I'm always in a group I'm not likely to take many extra deaths. I've gotten pretty good at ranking up to hero without being attacked very often at all. I think you're underestimating how easy it is to survive when you don't have any enemies who know you, and do nothing but rank or sit in the inn.

>And
>again, I think you're going to spend a lot longer than normal
>as an applicant.

That could be. And it doesn't particularly bother me. Also, I've joined cabals late before (scion at 51) without a problem and ended up as leadership, so that aspect doesn't bother me. Once I'm into it at hero I roleplay consistantly and well, retrieve relentlessly and all that good stuff that leaders like to see. Sure I may end up waiting a bit for that extra "who is this guy let's make sure he's serious" but Svarmungadr was a village app for probably what, 20 hours? Is that something you can check? I doubt it would be all that much worse if I tried to join at hero.

>The best solution to any of this, honestly, is to escape the
>mindset that the game starts at hero.

And I'd like to, but there are just too many mechanics that make fighting sub-hero stupid if you also want to be at your best post-hero.
79940, RE: Deleted Svarmungadr

>That could be. And it doesn't particularly bother me. Also,
>I've joined cabals late before (scion at 51) without a problem
>and ended up as leadership, so that aspect doesn't bother me.

Scion isn't any other cabal with respect to how induction goes.

>Once I'm into it at hero I roleplay consistantly and well,
>retrieve relentlessly and all that good stuff that leaders
>like to see. Sure I may end up waiting a bit for that extra
>"who is this guy let's make sure he's serious" but Svarmungadr
>was a village app for probably what, 20 hours? Is that
>something you can check? I doubt it would be all that much
>worse if I tried to join at hero.

It's hard to say. I can't think of a guy who joined at 40+ and didn't delete as an applicant, and some of them definitely went more than 20 hours.

>And I'd like to, but there are just too many mechanics that
>make fighting sub-hero stupid if you also want to be at your
>best post-hero.

Explain to me why you think this is true, and I'll explain what you're not seeing?
79949, Reasons, also responses to others
>Explain to me why you think this is true, and I'll explain
>what you're not seeing?

I've responded over here, since there's no reason to keep bumping a death thread for a character that wasn't well known to discuss game mechanics stuff

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=24781&mesg_id=24781&page=

To gratch:
Sorry dude, and yeah it's a cop-out and kind of lame but I don't see how it makes the game less fun for anyone else and it makes it a lot more fun for me. Find me a good reason not to do that and I will consider it. I really do try to make sure everyone else is having as good a time as I am.

To nmtehw:
No, I won't lose 15 con. I don't even get attacked 15 times on the way to hero, usually. Even when I'm not a rager I don't bother carrying potions half the time and I rarely have to visit a healer. Running is OP. And as Iunna says, yeah I'll get a mage kill at level 11-15 when it's dirt easy and then just wait.

Iunna:
See the thread for skills at hero benefits. One quick note though, whether you fight at hero or lowbie you need whatever level of skills you think you need. Unless you think you need less skills at lower levels, but I'm not sure that's true.
79941, RE: Deleted Svarmungadr
Posted by Graatchman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is exactly what I was talking about on Dios and what I think is bull. You want to level up without any enemies, no drawbacks, and get all the benefits at hero.

You're the poster child for why imm induction should be required beyond level 35 (except scion).

And as an aside, it's truly ridiculous to say that the game doesn't start until hero. *Especially* for a rager.
79947, Not to draw the thread off-topic but
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mostly agree with your first statement; however, I don't see
why imm induction should be required beyond any level. I think
in a lot of cases, a good leader probably frowns upon a hero
applying that late in the game anyway, and will probably advise
them accordingly.
79945, My prediction about your strategy
Posted by nmtehw on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
1) You will lose at least 5 con before getting to hero just because of no magic.
2) Mages will completely tool you in the hero ranks and you will never get applicant status.
79946, RE: My prediction about your strategy
He could just kill someone at level 11 and wait to talk to Tahren.
79948, One drawback I can think of-
And it depends on how fast you're ranking - the simple fact
that your skills might not be where they need to in order to
play at a competitive level.